That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Hand In Glove
Rusholme Ruffians
I Want The One I Can't Have
What She Said
William It Was Really Nothing
Meat Is Murder
/Miserable Lie
Margate is a typical English Seaside Town on the North Kent Coast, and March isn't the best time to visit. A long, cold, damp seaside promenade, populated with numerous arcades full of one armed bandits and little openings selling bags of candy floss ... but with hardly anyone around. I seem to remember we spent most of the afternoon wandering up and down the beach, bracing against the wind and watching the waves break on the sea shore. The Winter Gardens was a great venue. Quite large and very ornate... the concert hall was built in the early 1900s I think. You came in at street level, or through a park (the gardens I guess), which took you in at balcony level in the auditorium, and then had to go down stairs to the main floor. The staircases were made of cast iron with flower details. There were no seats as I recall ... certainly not downstairs. I don't remember the show being particularly full ... maybe due to the large hall size. This was the loudest Smiths show I ever attended. Not the loudest show of all ... that accolade goes to the Hoodoo Gurus at the Brixton Academy, which was actually painful. With plenty of space to move around it was possible to get a nice empty space right down in front of the right speaker stack to record. I thought I was going to get a great recording ... but instead I discovered 'brickwalling'. This is what happens when you overload your mic pre-amp, and effectively means that you get a distorted recording. So on particularly loud passages of this show, the recording gets a bit distorted. So not one of the best. A pity beacuse I think the balance and tone of the recording is great. The show was also a bit average by Smiths standards I thought ... not bad, just a bit lacklustre. I used to spend long periods of various shows staring at Johnny's left hand trying to work out how each song was played. He later told me that it used to freak him out as he couldn't work out what I was looking at or why.
Again this was recorded using a Sony Professional Walkman with Sony EMC-929LT Mic onto Metal tape. Only I recorded this show.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Longevity: 11 years

Post 15-Dec-2006 18:10 (after 6 minutes)

[Quote]

thank you for this steve!!!
the "Reel Around The Fountain" from the Poole show is simply brilliant! One of my favorites by far.
thanks Again!
BC
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 15-Dec-2006 19:04 (after 54 minutes)

[Quote]

Great! Thank you, Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 15-Dec-2006 19:24 (after 19 minutes)

[Quote]

Winter Gardens, Margate - 8 March 1985
I used to spend long periods of various shows staring at Johnny's left hand trying to work out how each song was played. He later told me that it used to freak him out as he couldn't work out what I was looking at or why.
Classic!! your stories are like a time capsule opened after all these years!!
thank you steve!
:)
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 15-Dec-2006 20:08 (after 43 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks a lot, Steve! This series almost feels like travelling along with the band on this tour in support of my 2nd favourite album of theirs... almost.
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 15-Dec-2006 20:09 (after 56 seconds)

[Quote]

thanks a lot Steve !
[Profile] [PM]

Pangol

Longevity: 10 years

Post 15-Dec-2006 20:45 (after 36 minutes)

[Quote]

A long, cold, damp seaside promenade, populated with numerous arcades full of one armed bandits and little openings selling bags of candy floss ... but with hardly anyone around.
Ah - the seaside town that they forgot to close down!
You're our hero, Steve, you know that?
[Profile] [PM]

whitecolours

Post 15-Dec-2006 23:10 (after 2 hours 25 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks so much! You are providing a unique opportunity that a lot of us could only dream of previously.
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 16-Dec-2006 05:00 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Fridays are always a treat. Thanks Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 17-Dec-2006 06:09 (after 1 day 1 hour)

[Quote]

Thanks so much!
[Profile] [PM]

leche27

Post 18-Dec-2006 04:04 (after 21 hour)

[Quote]

kudos Steve...amazing recording and commentary. Merry Christmas and thanks for doing all of this for posterity!
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 18-Dec-2006 09:10 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Keep 'em coming, Steve!
Are you taking a torrent break over the festive season, or can we expect the next two shows on the next two Fridays?
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 18-Dec-2006 10:12 (after 1 hour 1 minute)

[Quote]

Doesn't take much effort to post things up ... so I'll be keeping going over the next couple of weeks.
Although I was thinking of doing something a little different this Friday, as its the christmas weekend
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 18-Dec-2006 10:13 (after 1 minute)

[Quote]

I was thinking of doing something a little different this Friday, as its the christmas weekend
Sounds interesting...!
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 18-Dec-2006 14:03 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Your efforts are always appreciated Steve, Fridays can't come soon enough now :)
Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on here!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 24-Jun 05:19