Smiths Turn Down $5 million dollar reunion offer

Reply to topic

WaxlyMolding ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 17-Mar-2006 02:11

[Quote]

From NY Times/Reuters, a few minutes ago:
AUSTIN, Texas (Billboard) - Pioneering U.K. modern rock band the Smiths turned down a $5 million offer to reunite at the upcoming Coachella Valley Arts & Music Festival in southern California, former frontman Morrissey said Thursday.
His revelation, during a public interview at the South By Southwest Music & Media Conference in Austin, triggered gasps from the audience. When journalist David Fricke asked if he had considered it, Morrissey replied, ``No, because money doesn't come into it,'' a response that drew applause from the crowd.
Of the critically adored act, which broke up in the late 1980s, Morrissey said, ``It was a fantastic journey. And then it ended. I didn't feel we should have ended. I wanted to continue. (Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr) wanted to end it. And that was that.''
Discussing his forthcoming album, ``Ringleader of the Tormentors,'' due April 4 via Attack/Sanctuary, the notoriously gloomy singer/songwriter admitted that he's writing songs from a good place these days.
``I'm just seeing lots of joyful things in life, which I didn't in the past,'' he said, adding slyly, ``Which maybe you noticed.
``Politically the world is ridiculous,'' he said. ``But there's still a lot of beautiful things ... Nature saves us, nature calms us down.''
Morrissey will first support the album with a European tour that includes a six-week run of sold-out shows in the United Kingdom. A North American leg is also expected.
Coachella, which takes place April 29-30 about 120 miles east of Los Angeles, will feature such acts as Depeche Mode, Tool and Madonna.
Reuters/Billboard
Wow, huh?
Waxly
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88

Post 17-Mar-2006 05:32 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Wow, indeed! Damn....$5 Million just for the one gig.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 17-Mar-2006 14:35 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

I wonder who actually put the brakes on that reunion, Morrissey or Marr
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 20-Mar-2006 09:12 (after 2 days 18 hours)

[Quote]

Hang on, though - $5M wouldn't necessarily go all that far.
I'm assuming that this would be the overall payment, out of which everyone - management, legal, road crew, the lot - would have to be paid before the band got a sniff.
And Abba turned down one billion dollars to reform. This is a long way short of that.
[Profile] [PM]

MorningGlory123

Post 20-Mar-2006 12:52 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

and considering its shared out for each member. 1.25 million for a reform, not likely.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 20-Mar-2006 22:32 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

From how I read the interview it was only a one-off, so $1.25 million each isn't that bad for 1 gig.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 21-Mar-2006 08:43 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

I can't see any gig fee being shared out in an even 4-way split.
[Profile] [PM]

nightandday

Post 16-Jun-2006 00:42 (after 2 months 25 days)

[Quote]

I wonder who actually put the brakes on that reunion, Morrissey or Marr
What is there to wonder about? In the January issue of Uncut, Marr responded to the question about reforming with "Really, why wouldn't we reform?" Morrissey said the would rather "eat his own testicles than reform The Smiths" and explained in another interview that he can't play with "people I don't really like".
It seems very clear cut to me...
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 16-Jun-2006 00:53 (after 10 minutes)

[Quote]

My post was posted before Morrissey spoke those words, or at least before those words were printed for all to see ;)
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Oct 00:18