Rockpalast Silver

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 25-Nov-2006 03:15

[Quote]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRISSEY-THE-SMITHS-RARE-ORI...Z1QQcmdZViewItem
Anyone got that? Is it better than the VH2 version seeded on this site?
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 25-Nov-2006 11:06 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Well, I don't mind giving it a shot. If I win it, it will be seeded here forthwith!
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 25-Nov-2006 12:27 (after 1 hour 20 minutes)

[Quote]

aaargh... I came back a few seconds too late to pick one up dirt cheap. :sob:
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 25-Nov-2006 13:18 (after 50 minutes)

[Quote]

It's been re-listed again
[Profile] [PM]

robertzombie

Longevity: 10 years

Post 25-Nov-2006 13:38 (after 20 minutes)

[Quote]

It's nice to see some effort going into a bootleg :)
[Profile] [PM]

robbo123

Post 25-Nov-2006 20:00 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

I have this one. Nice packaging, but the video quality is not so good...there's a noticable audio hum throughout the show. There are better versions out there for sure.
[Profile] [PM]

Demian

Post 25-Nov-2006 21:51 (after 1 hour 50 minutes)

[Quote]

Hi robbo123,
for curiosity, could you be so kind and tell me which TV station label is shown (if there is any)?
Regards, Demian
[Profile] [PM]

Demian

Post 03-Dec-2006 22:14 (after 8 days)

[Quote]

The original broadcast of this show was shown on WDR (German regional TV) about one week after the concert on WDR. I recorded that one on audio tape. WDR was (and still is) the promoter of the Rockpalast. Later, in the early 90's, they started a series called "Rockpalst Classics", showing a lot of the old concerts again and I recorded that on video tape.
Comparing the VH2 version to my own recordings (I recorded it even again when broadcasted a third time), the main difference is that VH2 mixed up the tracks: "This Night Has Openened My Eyes" and "Miserable Lie" were originally performed after the first "Barbarism Begins At Home" (and it's in that way on all of my tapes and mentioned in David's notes) etc. Then VH2 left out the backstage parts and it's also missing the introduction of presenter Alan Bangs before the Smiths entered the stage:
"(Ja), schönen guten Abend. Wir sind "live" dabei, hier in der Markthalle in Hamburg. Ich begrüße alle hier in der Markthalle, (an) alle, aber besonders auch Zuhause.
Ich möchte ganz kurz nur sagen, The Smiths sind in der letzten Zeit ziemlich krank gewesen, (also) besonders Johnny Marr und Morrissey hatten zu leiden. Deswegen musste ihre Tournee abgesagt werden, aber die sind heute abend hier.
Liebe Freunde, heute abend bei uns zu Gast, im Rockpalast: The Smiths"
Rough translation:
"A pleasant good evening. We are here 'live' in the Markthalle [market hall] in Hamburg. I greet all of you here in the Markthalle, but especially all at home too.
Shortly I'd like to say, The Smiths were quite ill during the past times, in particular Johnny Marr and Morrissey had to suffer. For this their tour was cancelled but today's evening they are here.
Dear friends, this evening, our guests in Rockpalast: The Smiths"
After "This Charming Man" on the original WDR recording, The Smiths went backstage (and the camera went with them, for about 1 minute), same happend before the final "Barbarism begins at home" (for about 2 1/2 minutes).
I don't know anything about the Ebay DVD (except that it's offered from time to time for about 2 years on Ebay), a screenshot would give some clue. If it's showing the VH2 logo, I would expect the same contents as the DVD seeded here. If there is the small "WDR" logo top right on the screen then you could have some hope that it's the complete concert (correct order), including the backstage footage and introduction of the band. And of course, not into 4 parts which probably were caused by the commercial breaks on VH2.
Looking to the description on Ebay, it seems to be the complete concert (WDR). I have no idea why the sound isn't that good (as robbo123 mentioned). Could it be, that there are different (silver) packages out in the wild?
P.S. For my own recording, I don't agree with Stephane (passionsjustlikemine), writing, the first broadcast was missing the second "Hand in Glove", because it's on my first audio tape (I think to remember, they repeated the concert again just some days later (in May/June? 1984). But don't nail me on that, because I can't find my little handwritten sheet that was always in the tape box (the other tape with the second broadcast from 1984 got lost (stolen)).
P.P.S. For those, who don't see the (quite well done) cuts on this VH2 DVD, take a close look on Morrissey's shirt between "Miserable Lie" and "What Difference...", while he's turning around to the crowd, suddenly his shirt in his back is up.
Kind regards, Demian
[Profile] [PM]

robbo123

Post 03-Dec-2006 23:15 (after 1 hour 1 minute)

[Quote]

Hi Demian...
I finally had a chance to watch the DVD, so I can give a little more information. First, there are no logos on the screen (either WDR or VH2). The running order is close to as stated on the DVD case...."miserable lie" is track 9, then "You've got everything now" is #10...eveything is then moved back 1 track. But yes, they are performed after the first Barbarism. This DVD does have the intro and the backstage footage between encores. Total running time is 70min. So I'm guessing this is pretty much the original as it aired, right? The only downside is the audio hiss that I mentioned, which takes away from the set.
If there's any interet, I'd be happy to torrent it here....
[Profile] [PM]

Sweetheart

Post 10-Jan-2007 14:53 (after 1 month 6 days)

[Quote]

If there's any interet, I'd be happy to torrent it here....
Yes! I would be very interested, I'm looking for the full length concert...do you mind uploading that? Would be cool. :)
[Profile] [PM]

dannyace

Post 30-Jan-2007 16:46 (after 20 days)

[Quote]

i would be interested too ... i remember the backstage footage from
a dreadful vhs copy i had years ago ... mjoyce showing a peace sign
to the camera if memory serves ...
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Aug 20:22