Hand In Glove
The Headmaster Ritual
Nowhere Fast
Stretch Out And Wait
Still Ill
Meat Is Murder
/Miserable Lie
/Barbarism Begins At Home
Nick Kent, who is a music journalist, used to live up at Mornington Crescent during 1985, and used to come up to Camden at the weekends and chat at the stall. He'd known Paul for a while before Soundsville was set up, and Paul had told him he should check out the Smiths. He became a fan, and in 1985 was going to write a piece about them for the Face. Just before the Meat Is Murder tour he mentioned that Johnny had expressed an interest in getting some Byrds bootlegs. Apparently Nick had mentioned that we'd had some good ones and he'd see if he could get copies. So for the Guildford date we decided to bring some copies with us, and see if we could use them to blag our way inside the venue maybe for the soundcheck. We got to the venue mid afternoon and set about hassling people at any door we could find. I seem to remember our story was something along the lines of ... we've been asked to bring some things up for Johnny, but we have to give them to him in person. Anyway ... eventually someone agreed to go and tell Johnny, and we sat waiting by the back door. And we waited ... and waited ... and waited ... and waited ... and then a face popped outside the door, and Johnny called us over. We explained what Nick had said and that we thought we'd bring some tapes up for him. He was very excited about the recording and we had a long chat about them. We told him that we'd seen them in Chippenham the day before and planned to go to as many of the others as we could. He thought that was great ... and then said that he'd see if he could get us on the guestlist for as many dates as he could, and he was as good as his word. For all the subsequent Smiths shows until December 1986 'Geordie Paul & Steve' were there on the guest list. Johnny was well into bootlegs. Later on he asked me to get him some Iggy Pop vinyl bootlegs ... there were some great ones about at the time. He was well aware that we planned to tape all the Smiths shows we went to, as did all the other Smiths and most of the crew ... and it was never a problem as long as we were discrete. I think he could see we were in it for the love of the music rather than to try and make money.
Again I don't remeber much about the show itself. THe venue was a typical Guildhall. Standing downstairs in a big hall, with a seated balcony running right round the edge. There was no reserved seating, so you could go upstairs or stand downstairs. We were upstairs on the right hand side, which gave as a nice position near to the speaker stacks without having to worry about people jumping on us or rabbiting too much. We both recorded the show (and I have both master tapes), but this is my recording, done using a Sony Professional Walkman with Sony EMC-929LT Mic onto Metal tape.
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Longevity: 11 years

Post 17-Nov-2006 10:05 (after 16 minutes)

[Quote]

And again, thank you, Steve, for sharing your exceptional recordings of The Smiths.
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 17-Nov-2006 13:09 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

definatly love those stories :)
Thanks a lot once again Steve for sharing your tape
Was wondering if by any chance your Sony Recorder was one of those:

Sony TC-D5

Sony TCS-300

Sony WM-D6
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 17-Nov-2006 13:35 (after 26 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks again Steve!!!! :)
[Profile] [PM]

cadm

Post 17-Nov-2006 18:25 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks !
Great story !
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 17-Nov-2006 18:57 (after 31 minute)

[Quote]

thanks a lot!
[Profile] [PM]

krist0v

Post 17-Nov-2006 21:24 (after 2 hours 27 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks a lot for sharing
Chris
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 17-Nov-2006 22:13 (after 49 minutes)

[Quote]

Steve, you're a bloody hero! That you're sharing these recordings means that the archive will not be dependent on one mouldering cassette - we'll all (if we keep them and don't just burn them to disc) have FLAC files that can take us right back to the master.
Really, really looking forward to this and all the rest. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say how much we appreciate your time and effort.
[Profile] [PM]

leche27

Post 18-Nov-2006 01:39 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Steve - you traded many of these CDRs to me back in the late '90's (Idaho). I've taped Morrissey many times since then and was always inspired by your work. I really appreciate you sharing your short histories of each of these shows here. Excellent indeed.
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 18-Nov-2006 03:52 (after 2 hours 13 minutes)

[Quote]

your stories are something else - I recently finished reading "The Smiths : Songs That Saved Your Life" by Simon Goddard, and while that was great color on the makings of the songs, your stories fill in the blanks on the fan side of the story. great stuff and thanks again Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

Sictransitgloriamundi

Post 18-Nov-2006 11:43 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you for these recordings. It is very much appreciated.
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 20-Nov-2006 17:11 (after 2 days 5 hours)

[Quote]

I used a WM-D6 ... aka Walkman Professional.
When I first got into taping, and doing the market stall in Camden. One of the main inspirations behind it was the idea of promoting bands that I liked that were unknown. Although we sold stuff like Springsteen (3 tapes a gig ... so a good moneyspinner, particularly with American tourists), we'd be pushing the smaller, lesser known artists all the time. Paul had some great Jonathan Richman tapes that we sold loads of by just playing.
The Smiths started off like that ... I'd push them on anyone who came to the stall. Even in 86, they were still quite a minority band. The idea of going on the tours and recording everything we could had something to do with some idea we had of making sure as much was documented as possible ... that we thought something important was going on, which needed to be saved for posterity. And the idea was to get our recordings out to as many people as we could.
I didn't really come across the idea of 'collectors items' until much later, when I came across the people who had 'rare' stuff, who would only trade for other 'rare' stuff. Generally these poeple didn't actually record any of their own stuff and had aquired it through 'contacts'. Well that sucked. I'd always happily let my stuff out, so I had no 'rare' stuff left.
So over the years I've started to hold stuff back, so that I have stuff that I can trade for other 'rare' stuff.
The interet has really changed trading, with so much readily available for download, which is great ... although I do get a bit pissed off with the attitude that a lot of people have, that they somehow have a right to everything. Especially people who constantly demand free downloads, without giving anything back.
Anyway ... I don't really like the idea of holding stuff back, and I'd like to get back to the old ideal of getting the stuff out to as many people as possible. Which is why I'm posting all my masters here ... trying to let everything go again.
Wonder if I'll actually go as far as posting stuff I've not released before. That's the real test I suppose
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 21-Nov-2006 16:10 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

I used a WM-D6 ... aka Walkman Professional.
thank you :)
The interet has really changed trading, with so much readily available for download, which is great ... although I do get a bit pissed off with the attitude that a lot of people have, that they somehow have a right to everything. Especially people who constantly demand free downloads, without giving anything back.
Anyway ... I don't really like the idea of holding stuff back, and I'd like to get back to the old ideal of getting the stuff out to as many people as possible. Which is why I'm posting all my masters here ... trying to let everything go again.
Couldn't agree more..
Wonder if I'll actually go as far as posting stuff I've not released before. That's the real test I suppose
i guess we'd all like to see you go that far ;)
thanks for all !
arkil
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 28-Nov-2006 01:28 (after 6 days)

[Quote]

The subculture of collectors wasn't something I knew about until setting this site up. I incorrectly assumed that everyone would want to share whatever they had. I can see why it occurs: when you have something which is priceless you don't want to give it away for free. And as you say, it only takes a few people to feel this way before others have to hold things back in order to trade. My view is that it seems a shame to keep a recording locked away in a single CD collection when it could be enjoyed by many, but having been in a similar situation recently (what would I do with an super-expensive rarity?) I understand that it's not a simple decision.
It's a shame that many people feel they have a right to the recordings. Steve, one thing I would recommend is put your comments in an accompanying text file. At least when your FLAC files get distributed from here to eternity the story behind the recording and the fact that it originated from you remain intact. In 2050 when someone downloads this gig in a nanosecond, they'll read your notes and try and have some insight into how that recording got to them 65 years later.
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 28-Nov-2006 09:00 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Actually I think that 'collectors' and 'bootleggers' have slighty different cultures that overlap slightly. For bootleggers, sharing has always been part of the culture ... there has always been the trading mentality. And there is the idea that you can go and record something yourself (put something into the pool), so that you can trade it with other people (take something out).
Collectors are always looking for the complete set, or something rare. They are more interested in something if there are fewer of it. Bootlegs aren't really compatible with this idea. Where as, if you have the only copy of the test pressing of William, where they accidentally put a recording of Morrissey singing I should be so lucky on the B side, you know that there aren't going to be any more, and you don't really mind if someone has a recording of the songs. But with bootlegs, its the actual recording that people want, so to be of interest to collectors they have to make sure it doesn't get copied.
Anyway ... the text file suggestion sounds like a good idea. I'll try that next week.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 23-Aug 11:58