A warning from my ISP

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 06-Nov-2006 17:09

[Quote]

I got this message from the hosting company that runs smithstorrents.co.uk.
It has come to our attention that your account database has been flagged up by the administrators for taking up too many resources on the database server. Please note that being on a shared hosting platform the database server resources are shared amongst other users. There has been a performance drop on the server due to the resources that are been taken up by your database.
I'm fairly technical, but I haven't run a tracker like this before.
1) Is it normal for a tracker of this size to be eating server resources like this? Can I resolve the problem using different tracker software.
2) A solution would be for me to go to dedicated server at the hosting company, but this will cost me £69 per month. Is there a significantly better deal to be had anywhere?
Any help would be appreciated.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 06-Nov-2006 17:23 (after 14 minutes)

[Quote]

Trackers do give servers a hell of a pounding if they are used to the degree yours is. There may be better deals out there for £69.00 but it may well depend on what they are offering. Some hosts are almost giving their servers away but they restrict the use, i.e. no trackers. Some hosts charge big amounts but turn a blind eye to trackers. It's really a case of looking and seeing. If I can finds my friends email I can ask him what hosts he used for his tracker (long defunct). I know there was no contract, you just paid a month at a time and they couldn't care less what you did with the server.
I'll try searching ;)
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 11-Nov-2006 14:36 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

David if you need any help or anything I'm sure many of us Members would be happy
to pitch in a few $$ to help fund a new server.
If everybody kicked in a few it would guarantee this site lasting.
I'm all for it :D
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 18-Nov-2006 20:43 (after 7 days)

[Quote]

Thanks bclark. Don't worry, the site won't disappear. I think in practice that the paypal begging bowl would fall some way short of the proposed £70 per month. I'd rather find a more cost effective way of running this site.
What I'd really like to know is:
- Can anyone offer hosting? Does anyone here work at somewhere where they could set me up?
- Could I piggyback on an existing server that someone runs?
- Can anyone recommend somewhere suitable? 1and1 (the people I use at the moment) offer a £30 per month 'value server' option, which I'd be willing to pay, but I don't know whether it will be enough to run this site.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 24-Oct 02:16