fki ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 27-Feb-2006 17:20

[Quote]

Morrissey
"Digital Excitation"
Hammersmith Odeon, London
4th October 1991
Source: AUD > Silver CD > FLAC Level 8 (w. Nero)
Torrent created on 27th February 2006
Setlist:
01 - November Spawned A Monster
02 - Alsatian Cousin
03 - Interesting Drug
04 - Mute Witness
05 - My Love Life
06 - Piccadilly Circus
07 - Driving Your Girlfriend Home
08 - Everyday is like Sunday
09 - Sing your Life
10 - The Loop
11 - Suede Head
12 - I've Changed My Plea to Guilty
13 - Cosmic Dancer
14 - Disappointed
15 - King Lear
16 - Our Frank
17 - Angel Angel We Go Down
18 - Asian Rut
Total length: 57:59
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes from PassionsJustLikeMine.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 October 1991
Hammersmith Odeon, London
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
Sister I'm A Poet
November Spawned A Monster
Pregnant For The Last Time
Alsatian Cousin
Interesting Drug
Mute Witness
My Love Life
Piccadilly Palare
Driving Your Girlfriend Home
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Sing Your Life
The Loop
Suedehead
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Disappointed (with Cosmic Dancer intro)
King Leer
/Our Frank
/Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
//Asian Rut
This show didn't start on a good note. Security at the Hammersmith Odeon was very strict and no one was allowed to leave their seats, something that annoyed Morrissey. But he took care of the situation halfway into the concert (read further for details). "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys" returned to the setlist, as set opener. "Pregnant For The Last Time" replaced the noisy "That's Entertainment", perhaps because of the venue.
In "The Last Of The Famous International Playboys", Morrissey reversed Reggie and Ronnie Kray's names, as he occasionally did. In live performances of this song he was known to change a line to "just to make myself attracted to you", but on this date, he took it a step further by singing "just to make myself less attracted to you". In "Sister I'm A Poet", he made another alternate change by singing "A plastic bag stranded at the lights, this once was you" instead of "...me". In "Pregnant For The Last Time", the line "If ever we had the nerve to" was changed to "If ever we had the chance to" and "And people being nice for the very first time" to "...the last time".
There supposedly were microphone problems at the beginning of "Interesting Drug", although this can't be heard on any recording of the concert. As had become custom, that song was followed by "Mute Witness" without any interruption. At the end of the latter number, Morrissey posed for an extended period of time with his forehead on his fist, in a thinker position. For some reason, in "Piccadilly Palare", at the end of the line "good sons like you, they never do...", Morrissey added "...at last".
After that number, Morrissey asked "I hope you haven't been hammered to your seats?". Then, at the beginning of "Driving Your Girlfriend Home", a fan trying to get on stage was brutally dragged away by a bouncer. This prompted Morrissey to move forward in order to see what was happening. He then stopped the band and asked "Why does the security have to be so ugly? We're going to have to have two minutes to do something about the security because this is shit". He and the band then exited the stage to discuss the security matters. After 10 minutes, they came back to resume the show, to a relieved roaring crowd.
The venue's security was replaced by Morrissey's and it did make a difference. But it might not have been the best of ideas, as the crowd became uncontrollable. As soon as the first notes of a second take of "Driving Your Girlfriend Home" were heard, fans started climbing on stage and before he could barely sing his first word, Morrissey was already buried under 5 or 6 fans while others were struggling to make it up on stage. Meanwhile the band kept on playing the song as an instrumental, until Morrissey managed to free himself and make it back to the microphone. The whole situation could have angered any other performer, but it wasn't the case with Morrissey. He got back up with a smug look on his face, which he quickly hid. The fans didn't miss a single word because Morrissey started singing from the beginning, and not where he would have been in the song, had he not been disturbed.
In "Everyday Is Like Sunday" Morrissey made the usual changes "scratch on a postcard" and "please come, please come nuclear bomb" and added a forgotten one, "I do believe this is the coastal town". However, in "Sing Your Life", he made none of the usual live lyrical alterations. "Disappointed" was the standard set closer, or at least main set closer for the whole Kill Uncle tour. It was a natural position for that song, given its line "This is the final song that I will ever sing". Only twice was the song performed in a different position in 1991: the very first gig in Dublin, and this one.
On this date, the band actually started playing "Cosmic Dancer", but after Morrissey did the first line "I was dancing when I was twelve", the band went straight into "Disappointed". Although Morrissey acted surprised, the whole thing was planned. In that song Morrissey changed a line to "your friends and your foes, would rather die than have to shag you". The end of the song usually saw more changes, but on this date Morrissey just decided to leave his lines unfinished: "Young girl, one day... but the thing is... this is the last song I will ever sing... ooooooooooooh aaaaaaaaaah..." In "Our Frank" a line was changed to " the world may be ending, but look, I'm practically human".
This concert was recorded and broadcast on KROQ in Los Angeles three weeks later. It was also broadcast on Japanese television on 21 December 1991, with Japanese subtitles. This first television broadcast was limited to 13 songs, probably to fit inside a one-hour programme, but some re-runs featured the whole concert. In all cases, the banter in between songs was edited out. For obvious reasons, the security matters and concert interruption were also edited out.
"Suedehead", "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty", "Alsatian Cousin" and "Pregnant For The Last Time" from this concert are found as b-sides on the "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" single.
The broadcast on Japanese television is circulated on bootleg VHS and DVDs. The full concert is usually featured, although some of the older VHS bootlegs only have the earlier 13-song broadcast.
A good number of audio bootlegs were produced from this video recording. The best of them is found on the manufactured bootleg cd "Home Is Where The Heart Is", which features the whole concert, in order. The sound is excellent, straight from the soundboard. This bootleg is also circulated with this alternate artwork.
"His Master's Voice" is a good second choice. It features the same recording in same quality, but the four songs following "Disappointed" were moved up so that the latter number ended up as set closer as it typically was on the Kill Uncle tour. Also, the whole set is featured except for "Piccadilly Palare" which was not included because a different version from an audience recording from 31 October 1991 was tagged on a bonus, with two new compositions from the same concert, "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" and "Pashernate Love".
"Digital Excitation" was probably produced from the radio broadcast because the sound is just as excellent, but the intros of certain songs have portions edited out, probably bits where an announcer was heard. The bootleg also lacks the first 2 songs. "King Lear" seems to have been produced from the same recording, the sound is excellent, it also lacks the first two numbers, but the editing is even worse than on "Digital Excitation".
A selection of 11 songs from this gig is available on a manufactured bootleg titled "There's A Place In LA For Me And My Friends", paired with full concerts from 1 June 1991 and 1 November 1991.
"Bona Fide Drag" features "Suedehead", "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty" and "Alsatian Cousin" from this concert, lifted from their official release on the "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" single. It also includes 9 songs from 26 February 1995; Skin Storm (studio version) and Disappointed (live Utrecht, Holland 1 May 1991) both from the "Pregnant For The Last Time" single; and "There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends", "My Love Life" and "Sing Your Life" of unknown origin (possibly the KROQ sessions of the song), incorrectly dated Hollywood 3 June 1991.

Last edited by fki on 2006-03-02 06:12; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 27-Feb-2006 21:13 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Many thanks for this, fki. Great to have another contributor.
[Profile] [PM]

fki ®

Post 28-Feb-2006 06:14 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Many thanks for this, fki. Great to have another contributor.
Great to have a site like this. Me thanks.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 28-Feb-2006 21:00 (after 14 hours)

[Quote]

Great quality. The track names and numbers seem a little screwed, but nothing that can't be worked out.
[Profile] [PM]

catalina

Post 04-Jun-2006 01:05 (after 3 months 3 days)

[Quote]

Could someone please seed this?
Thanks!
[Profile] [PM]

clarkondrums

Post 04-Jun-2006 02:46 (after 1 hour 40 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks for sharing again!
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 04-Jun-2006 05:22 (after 2 hours 35 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks for the seed. this will be an upgrade for me from my mp3 version. Cheers...!
[Profile] [PM]

catalina

Post 04-Jun-2006 17:08 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

Actual setlist on this torrent--
01 - November Spawned A Monster
02 - Pregnant For The Last Time
03 - Alsatian Cousin
04 - Interesting Drug
05 - Mute Witness
06 - My Love Life
07 - Piccadilly Palare
08 - Driving Your Girlfriend Home
09 - Everyday is like Sunday
10 - Sing your Life
11 - The Loop
12 - Suede Head
13 - I've Changed My Plea to Guilty
14 - Disappointed (with Cosmic Dancer intro)
15 - King Leer
16 - Our Frank
17 - Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
18 - Asian Rut
Total length: 63:00
Note that downloaded tracks 2-18 must also be renamed.
Great sound in any case, a very worthy torrent!
[Profile] [PM]

clarkondrums

Post 04-Jun-2006 22:12 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for clarifying the tracklist catalina. Definitely a great recording!
[Profile] [PM]

arqhdez

Post 06-Jul-2006 05:01 (after 1 month 1 day)

[Quote]

thanks for this
[Profile] [PM]

zootv

Post 15-Aug-2006 22:05 (after 1 month 9 days)

[Quote]

Thank you for the seed! It is greatly appreciated :) Are there any seeders left?
[Profile] [PM]

fki ®

Post 16-Aug-2006 04:56 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you for the seed! It is greatly appreciated :) Are there any seeders left?
Here you are.
[Profile] [PM]

joelad3

Post 02-Sep-2006 01:08 (after 16 days)

[Quote]

No seeders and 4 leechers !
OK, I'll upload this one for a while but my speed is not huge.
Patience my friends... and keep seeding when you're done !
Joelad
[Profile] [PM]

KidEdge

Longevity: 10 years

Post 25-Sep-2006 14:00 (after 23 days)

[Quote]

just downloaded it, sounds great as far as i can tell.
the second track is "pregnant..." though, not "alsatian...", as has already been pointed out.
i´ll keep seeding until my next download is finished, so if anyone feels like downloading, go ahead.
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 08-Mar-2008 14:44 (after 1 year 5 months)

[Quote]

Muchas Gracias!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 26-Jul 16:28