Go Betweens-1983-09-15

Reply to topic

matahari5 ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 20-Oct-2017 19:38

[Quote]

By Request-
This is by request- This is one of the opening acts for The Smiths show (seeded here- http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5296)
This show, combined with Felt ( seeded here-http://www.smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5301 )
gives you the whole night back in 1983.
The Go Betweens
The Venue, Victoria, London, 15 September 1983 ** Master**
Lineage
Aiwa CM30 > Sony TCS 300 > TDK AD60 (M0) > Sony WM-D6C > Macbook Pro > Amadeus Pro > Xact (Flac8)
01 Cattle And Cane
02 Before Hollywood
03 On My Block
04 It Could Be Anyone
05 Unkind and Unwise
06 As Long As That
07 A Bad Debt Follows you
08 The Way Out Is Now The Way In (first few secs missing)
09 Newton Told Me
10 Ask
11 Hammer The Hammer
12 Man O’ Sand To Girl O’ Sea
With Robert Forster currently playing and speaking to promote his new book, I thought it was about time I shared this.
This was a Rough Trade Showcase evening. Felt, Go-Betweens and The Smiths - all for £3.00. It doesn’t get much better than that and I put my postal order in the post for a ticket straight away.
Just prior to this gig the Go Betweens were, at last, in the ascendent with the critically adored ‘Before Hollywood’ under their belts. But then along came the Smiths…. It was clear to a few fans, and it must have been clear to the Go Betweens, that these brash upstarts and recent new label-signing were going to be big. Very big indeed. Rough Trade would soon focus it’s energy almost entirely on The Smiths - at the expense of other bands such as the Go-Betweens and it wasn’t a surprise when they switched labels. But on this night, early in the Smiths career (the debut performance of ‘This Charming Man’ was at this gig) here they were together under the Rough Trade banner.
I taped all three bands. My Smiths recording has been on Dime already, but i don’t think i’ve widely shared the Go-Betweens recording or the Felt one.
This was a GREAT evening, though it didn’t start too promisingly. There was a horrible buzz on the PA and it was decided that the stage lights were the cause…. Felt began playing in almost total darkness. Much to Lawrence’s annoyance. Several songs in, someone at the side of the stage had the idea of flicking a light switch on and off in time with the music and this pushed Lawrence over the edge. He stormed off stage abandoning the set during the fourth number.
it continued this way for the Go Betweens with only basic lighting and a poor sound, but I think this, and the looming threat of the Smiths, only served to push the band - and especially Robert - to really deliver the goods. So a great performance and a great set, with my then faves ‘Cattle’, ’Newton’, ‘Block’, ‘Hammer’ and an almost deranged version of ‘Man O’ Sand’.
I used a TDK 60 minute tape for the Go Betweens. I flipped fairly early and was worried i would run out of tape, so after the flip i hit the ‘rewind’ button. Unfortunately this meant i missed the first few seconds of ‘The way Out’. On digitising the recording, it looks as though i flipped after 24 mins, and that after the flip only recorded for another 20 mins. So it would have all fitted!!! Oh, fickle, fickle youth…..Anyway, the ever generous Mr. Fruitierthanthou has put his recording of the Go Betweens up in lossy form on Youtube and I have made a variant of my copy with his sterling effort patched-in. I’ve not included that patched version here as that would be rude of me to do so without asking,
I hope you enjoy the gig.
Josef
[Profile] [PM]

crazycol

Longevity: 7 years 9 months

Post 21-Oct-2017 11:39 (after 16 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for sharing this show, much appreciated.
[Profile] [PM]

crazycol

Longevity: 7 years 9 months

Post 23-Oct-2017 11:33 (after 1 day 23 hours)

[Quote]

This recording is excellent.
Very clear over all instruments.
Virtually no crowd noise.
Thanks again for sharing, much appreciated.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 24-Nov 13:07