1983-06-29 Brixton Ace

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

steve ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 23-Sep-2006 15:39

[Quote]

I thought I'd start putting my master audios on here. I guess I'm used to having master or very low gen copies of most shows, and I always assumed that these would be all over the place by now ... but maybe not. Who knows. But it couldn't hurt to put these up for a while.
So I'm starting at the begining. In 1983 I was a bootlegger ... that is I taped lots of shows, and had a stall at Camden Market where I sold cassette copies. It wasn't hugely profitable ... well not the way I ran the stall ... but it paid for me to go to lots of gigs and I felt I was in some small way, promoting unknown but great bands. I first saw the Smiths in March at ULU. I'd gone to see the Sisters Of Mercy, and for some reason decided to leave my recorder at home so I could enjoy the show for a change. I was in the bar with a pint early on, and some blokes came up to me (I didn't know them, but I guess they may have seen me at Camden market) and said that I should check out the band that was just about to go on. They were 3rd on the bill, and I wandered in as I had nothing better to do. So I stood a few feet back from the stage with about 4 or 5 other people watching this strange spectacle with flowers and lots of wailing. It wasn't like anything else I'd heard before ... but it was completely compelling and I remained there root4d to the spot until they had finished.
I must admit ... that then I was back to the bar and back in to enjoy the sisters of mercy. But the smiths had something. I lived in Clapham at the time, within walking distance of Brixton, so when I saw they were playing I dragged my sister down and this time took my recorder. This was the first smiths bootleg on sale at Camden Market. Of course in bootleg tradition, some the the song titles were wrong ('Mess Of My Life') ... but the cover had a tasteful pciture of a reclining nude man, so I must have been paying attention.
This was before I got my Professional walkman, so was recorded on the recoding walkman model below that (actually I'm not sure the professionalk walkman was out then). But it had automatic level, so not ideal. But, by chance I'd bought a very good mic, so the recording isn't too bad. Gives an idea of the energy in those early shows.
Anyway ... my first flac, so hopefully I haven't buggered it up.
[Profile] [PM]

skyscaper

Post 23-Sep-2006 17:34 (after 1 hour 55 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks. I too recorded shows back in the early 80s, including the Newcastle show in March '84...unfortunately, due to technical problems, I only got the encore - and I've even lost that now :(...and it was a much better recording than the one in circulation :(.
22 years later, and due to user problems this time (:oops:), my recording of the Reading Hexagon show in May yielded no result too...and I haven't seen another recording of that show...yet.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 23-Sep-2006 18:42 (after 1 hour 7 minutes)

[Quote]

Since when has Clapham been in walking distance of Brixton?
Great to see your first bootlegged Smiths show seeded. Might be an idea to add an info file with your flac files, particularly since you have a story to tell.
Downloading now. Looking forward to it.
[Profile] [PM]

fgraciano1980

Post 23-Sep-2006 19:04 (after 22 minutes)

[Quote]

welcome steve!
im glad you've joined this forum. i've traded with you years ago and your list of shows is exhaustive! i hope you can share lots of your treasures!
btw, the soundchecks on 'asleep' and 'unloveable' are courtesy of steve.
[Profile] [PM]

traveller03

Post 24-Sep-2006 06:27 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks, Steve! Very kind of you to share your masters here :)
[Profile] [PM]

blameless

Post 24-Sep-2006 10:17 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for sharing this Steve. I bought a fair few bootlegs from Camden market back then so probably got some of yours too!
Always good to hear the stories behind them though and to hear the master source. I love this site :lol:
[Profile] [PM]

clarkondrums

Post 24-Sep-2006 14:25 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for sharing Steve!
Clark
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 25-Sep-2006 05:12 (after 14 hours)

[Quote]

Steve, I can't thank you enough!
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 25-Sep-2006 07:51 (after 2 hours 38 minutes)

[Quote]

From www.passionsjustlikemine.com
----------
29 June 1983
Brixton Ace, London
You've Got Everything Now
Handsome Devil
Reel Around The Fountain
What Difference Does It Make?
Wonderful Woman
These Things Take Time
Hand In Glove
I Don't Owe You Anything
(/?)Miserable Lie
Headliners were for the second time The Sisters Of Mercy. Flesh For Lulu were also on the bill, they played before the Smiths. In an old UK tradition, both them and the Smiths were given a bad sound, to make headliners sound better in comparison.
Entering stage, Morrissey greeted the few fans who had arrived early enough: "Hello you charming individuals (...) we are the Smiths, how do you do?" then the band launched into standard opening track of the time "You've Got Everything Now". Morrissey certainly sounded more confident that he had been before. He was more talkative, and after the first track he simply shouted "Thank you!!! Handsome Devil!!!", setting the tone for the fast paced song that followed. After that number he just said "Thank you, you cheery charmers... for tender hearts, 'Reel Around The Fountain'".
In "These Things Take Time", Morrissey reversed the roles and one line became "and then I gave you something that you won't forget too soon". This version still started with a drum roll, something that was lost by the time the song made it on the "What Difference Does It Make?" single.
Morrissey introduced "Hand In Glove" by saying "This is our record, which is still buyable... 'Hand In Glove'". This live version, including the spoken introduction, was released in 1992 on the "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" single reissue. The following song was introduced as "A song for the delicate... it's true... 'I Don't Owe You Anything'... I think...".
Tickets were £2.50.
A live version of "Hand In Glove" from this gig was released on the 1992 cd-single reissue of "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". In early summer 1983 the Smiths recorded three songs instead of the usual four for their first session on Kid Jensen's programme on the BBC. To fill the remaining available space, they decided to play their debut single "Hand In Glove" which had just been released. When the programme was later rerun, the single version was replaced by this live version which had never been released prior to 1992.
The main set (so first 8 tracks listed above) is available on CD-R from bootleg traders, sometimes under the title "Tender Hearts". It is also found on MP3 in the usual networks, occasionally including "Miserable Lie" which is missing on the cds. The latter is likely taken from a different concert and tagged there to make the bootleg look complete.
"Handsome Devil", "Reel Around The Fountain", "Wonderful Woman" and "These Things Take Time" are available on video and DVD bootlegs. It must be said that this video footage is of very bad quality, but at this time, it is the earliest video footage in circulation for the Smiths.
----------
Thanks for this, steve - really looking forward to hearing the rest, too!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 29-Sep-2006 19:28 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

I made an info file.
I did my usual cut and paste from pjlm and found this very recording referenced. That was weird.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 29-Sep-2006 22:49 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

many thanks for this gem!
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 30-Sep-2006 16:53 (after 18 hours)

[Quote]

thank you very much Steve ! :)
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 06-Oct-2006 04:08 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

steve - many thanks!
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 27-Oct-2006 17:55 (after 21 day)

[Quote]

Thanks very much Steve for this and the other shows you have seeded recently. I have only just come across them as I have been on holiday for the last month or so.
I especially like recordings of earlier Smiths shows, so this one was a real treat to listen to.
Cheers :D
[Profile] [PM]

Josef

Longevity: 10 years

Post 12-Nov-2006 22:00 (after 16 days)

[Quote]

I stumbled onto the site to see if it was worth seeding my own humble tape of 29 June. I'd done a few tape copies for friends back in 84 but nothing serious. Anyway, I downloaded yours and it pisses all over mine! I wasn't a bootlegger - just a gig go-er and having a tape of the night was a bonus, not the main reason for being there. I stood in the middle of any empty hall. Guess you stood much nearer a speaker. Anyway, thanks for saving me the trouble about worrying over converting my TDK AD60 (yes - i had a cout before 'Miserable lie').
I'd still ove to har a copy of the 'pre-steve' version of this. If it had a cut before ' Miserable' then maybe it was derived from my old tape?
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Sep 07:19