Question about ratio/uploading/seeding

Reply to topic

andysbassline ®

Longevity: 3 years 6 months

Post 28-Jan-2014 03:41

[Quote]

Hi,
I am relatively new to torrenting, but got my feet wet on a couple other sites not related to The Smiths. So, I know the basics about seeding and improving one's ratio. However, on those sites I am not having a problem getting my ratio up as there seems to be plenty of seeders and new torrents to get on. I don't know how many members are on this site, or how often new torrents go up. I have almost all the shows, but only in mp3 format, so there really isn't much of anything I could put up as my own torrent. I will gladly seed anything I download, and keep my client up basically all day until I go to bed.
So, my question is will I be able to get an adequate ratio by only seeding what I download? Is there enough traffic to do that? I would like to replace all my mp3 shows with lossless ones, but I'm guessing it's gonna take a long time. I have plenty of other artists that I could upload, but this is a Smiths site, so....
Thanks in advance for an help.
Mike
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Longevity: 11 years

Post 28-Jan-2014 05:17 (after 1 hour 35 minutes)

[Quote]

I would think it almost impossible to maintain a ratio of 1-1 or anything close to that at this point in time. Almost everybody on this site has almost everything on this site so they won't be wanting what you seed. Only the newbies like yourself want whats on offer and they are relatively few these days.
However they (newbies) do keep coming so we do request that you keep seeding as long as you can and also help out on requests.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 28-Jan-2014 12:18 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

I'm not too worried about people maintaining ratios these days as bandwidth is getting better. The software that this site runs on has a built in ratio system but I don't think it's really given anyone any trouble. I've never looked into disabling it.
Alternatively I could let you download the whole lot (around 350GB) with a copy.com sync. Let me know if you'd prefer that.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 28-Jan-2014 12:44 (after 26 minutes)

[Quote]

Is it still up and running David?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 28-Jan-2014 15:46 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Is it still up and running David?
I'm not 100% sure. My files are still there and I think you can download via a web link. They might have disabled the syncing feature.
[Profile] [PM]

andysbassline ®

Post 28-Jan-2014 19:02 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

I'm not too worried about people maintaining ratios these days as bandwidth is getting better. The software that this site runs on has a built in ratio system but I don't think it's really given anyone any trouble. I've never looked into disabling it.
Alternatively I could let you download the whole lot (around 350GB) with a copy.com sync. Let me know if you'd prefer that.
Hi David. Thanks for the response. I am not familiar with the copy.com sync thing. If it's not too tech heavy and still available, I wouldn't be opposed though. If not, I am happy to just get them here, but I've already run into a few things I tried to get but was told that I don't have permission. Is that something that comes with time? Just as some background info, I am mainly interested in The Smiths audio/video. While I enjoyed Morrissey in the group, I never really got into his solo stuff, so I won't be delving into that section of the board. Same goes for Marr.
Lastly, what should be my approach since my ratio is not likely to get anywhere close to 1.0 at this point? Meaning if I get to say 20G with nothing uploaded am I expected to stop for a while to see if it goes up? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I don't run afoul of the guidelines. I understand why they are there, but at some point it becomes hard for newbies to color inside the lines doesn't it? :-) Thanks again.
[Profile] [PM]

tmtomh

Longevity: 4 years

Post 29-Jan-2014 06:55 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

I would think it almost impossible to maintain a ratio of 1-1 or anything close to that at this point in time. Almost everybody on this site has almost everything on this site so they won't be wanting what you seed. Only the newbies like yourself want whats on offer and they are relatively few these days.
However they (newbies) do keep coming so we do request that you keep seeding as long as you can and also help out on requests.
I take your point: Most of the seemingly really essential stuff here (as well as a lot of the other stuff, for that matter) has plenty of seeders and very few leechers. So as a newbie it can be hard to maintain a good ratio.
I am a noob myself (joined in August) and while it's taken me longer to creep up toward a 1:1 ratio than at some other sites I frequent, I am nearly there. (I appreciate DavidA being cool about ratios; it's just a personal thing with me: I feel better if I make a real effort to maintain a 1:1 ratio.)
I echo your recommendation to stay on as a seeder for other noobs who join here. I've done that, and while some of my seeds have barely been leeched, others have been leeched several times over. Also, I think it's also helpful to keep an eye on the forums for new torrents that occasionally pop up. If you notice them when they're first being seeded, you can jump on and seed to multiple other members, helping them out while upping your own ratio.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 29-Jan-2014 12:56 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

I don't think copy.com is still working despite the whole archive being there. I'd shared everything with about 50 people here before copy.com decided that it was copyrighted recordings and disabled the sharing. Sorry.
Regarding the ratio, my question is this: does having a low ratio prevent you from doing anything? I don't have any guidelines except for 'seed if you can please'. If there are restrictions due to a low ratio then it's a setting that I can't find in the torrent tracker system that I run here.
Yikes. I just noticed that I've seeded 7TB here. I'll surely go to torrent heaven.
At some point in the next few years I expect I'll be able to remove the whole tracker and just offer zip files of shows.
[Profile] [PM]

fab eberhard

Longevity: 7 years 3 months

Post 29-Jan-2014 14:14 (after 1 hour 18 minutes)

[Quote]

it's funny because i used to have all of the same anxiety regarding my ratios here at this site. in fact i stayed away for a long time because i thought i would never get it balanced out. but i kept poking my head in and out and one day saw my chance to get in on a torrent and the rest worked itself out. new efforts/tour from morrissey often get us nostalgic and the favorite gigs and gems pop out of the woodwork. oh how i long for the day that files could be shared as easily as a click and done. (hmmmm... how soon is now?!) hang in there all who are new... with talk of an album/tour the distinct possibility of new material to share looms in the horizon... always a good chance to jump in with everyone and get your feet wet.
@ DavidA
7TB!!! wow... that's intense. i crossed the 1TB line a while back and thought that took some doing. i always thought that several individuals here must have some crazy stats. i cheer and thank your "7" sir as i thank all the others who still help guide those of us who need a little help...
[Profile] [PM]

andysbassline ®

Post 29-Jan-2014 15:11 (after 56 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks everyone for replying. To David, no there is nothing that I know that keeps me from downloading, it's just that as others have said, you want to do right by the board and other members. As I said, I leave my client up all day and will seed anything unless it's just not getting any hits and I need to clear some space.
It would help if someone could recommend some things to get that will help me with seeding, even if it is stuff I am not interested in. I've looked around and there are about 20 or so shows that I do not have in any format, and the rest of them I have but in mp3. So, my intent is to get the stuff I don't have at all first, then probably some video things, then replace my mp3 copies. I did d/l Part 1 of the Smiths TV appearances collection (great stuff).
Sorry to babble on, I just want to assure people here that I am not coming here to quickly sponge the whole site in drive by fashion and then leave. I am willing to take my time and do it right. It's fun finding places that share one's interest to this degree. There are so many things not available elsewhere aren't there? Ok, I'll shut up now.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 30-Jan-2014 10:24 (after 19 hours)

[Quote]

We have thousands of members here and a very small percentage care about ratio at all, so your efforts are appreciated. I don't really pay it much attention unless there are shows that nobody at all is seeding.
If you're looking to get your ratio up then I'd just think about it logically. What are the shows that everyone wants to download when they first come here? Demos and Rarities? Troy Tate? Oxford? Kilburn? Plus the better videos. That's just a guess. If you click on 'tracker' on the top right of this page then you can see what is most popular.
I'm proud that this site offers the biggest collection of Smiths recordings on the internet. I'm glad you noticed :)
[Profile] [PM]

laoniu

Longevity: 3 years 5 months

Post 21-Jun-2014 13:13 (after 4 months 22 days)

[Quote]

Thank you very much .
Reply to topic

Current time is: 23-Aug 06:14