Johnny Marr joins Modest Mouse

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

wiseass73 ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 12-Sep-2006 07:36

[Quote]

Still not sure why I think this is strange. Probably because I am not a big fan of Modest Mouse. But for those that haven't heard:
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2006/08/03/jeff/
----------
And from Johnny Marr's website (www.jmarr.com):
September 06th 2006
Johnny answers to the Isaac Brock Comments that were made to Rolling Stone
Johnny : "Isaac contacted me and asked if I'd help Modest Mouse write the new album. I was intrigued and played with the band in Portland a couple of times. We hit it off and wrote three great songs straight away, something clicked, it felt right from the off. I have a new Healers album pretty much done, but we've been having such a good time playing these new Modest Mouse songs. When people hear the record they'll see why, we're very good together."
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 13-Sep-2006 05:37 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

I'm not a big fan of Modest Mouse either. What I find kind of strange is the report that he is a full-fledged member of the band. I can't see it more than another side project. But it does explain what happened to the new Healers album that was reported to come out this spring. Maybe eventually it will see the light of day.
[Profile] [PM]

blameless

Post 15-Sep-2006 00:52 (after 1 day 19 hours)

[Quote]

Modest Mouse are playing in Australia soon, I'm trying to find out if there's any likelyhood of Johnny being on the tour with them. Anyone heard anything?
[Profile] [PM]

dara

Longevity: 10 years

Post 18-May-2007 03:58 (after 8 months 3 days)

[Quote]

Saw JM with MM on the last leg of their US tour before heading to England. I braved the standing crowd to watch him play up close. :D MM proved to be an interesting and energetic group. Time will tell how far the collaboration with JM will go.
Modest Mouse Tour
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Longevity: 9 years 7 months

Post 29-Feb-2008 21:24 (after 9 months 11 days)

[Quote]

Modest Mouse is great. For everybody who loves Pixies -> go check the early Modest Mouse.
Johnny Marr's playing in Modest Mouse is very interesting at some moments;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1O2mExBZX8
[Profile] [PM]

lenoblow

Longevity: 9 years 4 months

Post 28-May-2008 21:21 (after 2 months 27 days)

[Quote]

Omg, <3 modest mouse.
Old news but I didn't realise Marr had joined them and I really enjoy "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank".
I really like the pixies too, but never really got into the early Modest Mouse material (nothing earlier than "good news for people who love bad news" anyway). I'll be sure to check it out! :)
[Profile] [PM]

dara

Post 09-Jun-2008 04:13 (after 11 days)

[Quote]

Welcome, lenoblow. Be sure to check out, The Lonesome Crowded West. But if you really want more of the history of Johnny Marr after the Smiths, look at his work with Electronic and TheThe. 8)
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Post 09-Jun-2008 06:39 (after 2 hours 26 minutes)

[Quote]

His work on The The's Mind Bomb is excellent. Electronic has some brilliant passages too.
[Profile] [PM]

dara

Post 16-Jun-2008 06:56 (after 7 days)

[Quote]

If you listen to Twisted Tenderness from Electronic, it will may help you understand, connect to and make sense of the later recording of Johnny Marr and the Healers. At least it did for me. :wink:
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Post 16-Jun-2008 07:00 (after 3 minutes)

[Quote]

I only know the first album of Electronic. Are their latter also worth checking out?
[Profile] [PM]

dara

Post 18-Jun-2008 03:22 (after 1 day 20 hours)

[Quote]

Twisted Tenderness (2000) is definitely worth having. There is much more 'out front' guitar playing by Johnny. Great guitar work, of course. And some blues-like songs, which point towards the future direction of the Healers albums.
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Post 18-Jun-2008 06:38 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Ok, I'm out to get it right now.
[Profile] [PM]

DAVIE

Longevity: 8 years 3 months

Post 24-Jun-2009 23:32 (after 1 year)

[Quote]

When Johnny Marr played Float On live on stage, you knew it was meant to be for him...It's just got Johnny Marr written over the damn song, no wonder why Modest Mouse needed the actual guitarest! I do like some Modest Mouse songs too, but the last album with Johnny Marr sucked...Sorry Johnny, time to focus on The Cribs and maybe a reunion with a man called Morrissey, when you were actually at your best and writing the songs!
[Profile] [PM]

Reint

Post 25-Jun-2009 07:49 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

Yea, I don't think it was MM's greatest album either.
I love the agressive guitar work in Education, though. And the beautiful solo in Little Motel. And the riff of Dashboard.
[Profile] [PM]

DAVIE

Longevity: 8 years 3 months

Post 25-Jun-2009 21:28 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

Yeah I guess so, some songs were OKish, but I didn't kept the album on my PC though...
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Oct 20:13