1986-07-16 - Soundcheck, Barrowlands, Glasgow - Purple Haze Remastered and Extended

Reply to topic

tmtomh ®

Longevity: 5 years 2 months

Post 20-Aug-2013 01:53

[Quote]

I'm a newcomer here, and among my favorite revelations at this wonderful site is the 1986-07-16 Glasgow soundcheck. In particular, I love the short instrumental of Purple Haze.
I did notice a few issues with the track, some of them related to what seems to have been the sound people tinkering with the mixing board and such (the purpose of a soundcheck of course):
(1) The overall volume is a bit low until about 26.5 seconds in, when it increases suddenly.
(2) While the volume becomes more satisfying from 0:26.5 onward, and Mike Joyce's drums become meatier and more three-dimensional, Johnny Marr's lead guitar seems to bet buried in the mix a little bit.
(3) The whole track is less than 1:30 long, with the actual music clocking it at under 1:10. Not enough! :D
This version seeks to address these issues. I've smoothed out the volume fluctuation by amplifying the track from the beginning until about 0:26.5. I've also applied some modest EQ to the part of the track after 0:26.5, boosting the 2-3kHz frequencies in order to restore a little prominence and edge to Marr's guitar. I went easy on the EQ, as these frequencies can make a track sound like bad AM radio if you pump them up too much.
Finally, I've duplicated most of the final half of the track, increasing the length about 50%, and increasing the length of the actual musical performance by about 65%. The "loop" begins around 1:16.
I'm pretty happy with the result, so I thought others might want to give it a listen as well.
I've also included a standard-length version of the track, for those who might want the volume and EQ fixes but who don't want the extra looping.
Thanks so much to DavidA for posting the Soundsville Paul master transfer here: http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3529. And of course thanks to Soundsville Paul in the first place; and to whomever was seeding last week, enabling me to download this fascinating musical document.
Comments and feedback are most welcome but not necessary.
Enjoy!
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Longevity: 12 years

Post 20-Aug-2013 20:31 (after 18 hours)

[Quote]

Just back from my holidays so this is a nice find. I'll give it a go, cheers
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 12 years

Post 27-Aug-2013 14:07 (after 6 days)

[Quote]

This great. Many thanks for your efforts :)
[Profile] [PM]

tmtomh ®

Longevity: 5 years 2 months

Post 27-Aug-2013 16:07 (after 1 hour 59 minutes)

[Quote]

This great. Many thanks for your efforts :)
Thanks much - glad you're enjoying it.
Very pleased to be part of this community.
:D
[Profile] [PM]

fidelbootlegs

Longevity: 5 years

Post 24-Oct-2013 12:18 (after 1 month 27 days)

[Quote]

THANKsss
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Oct 19:28