Kill Uncle Remixed

Go to page :  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 20-Jan-2013 17:26

[Quote]

kushvin contacted me regarding a remix project he's been working on. I said I'd seed hit on his behalf, so here we are. FLAC and WMA included. Below are his notes.
--
Remixing Kill Uncle – If Ronson or Finn had been at the helm
Kill Uncle has often been derided for its bland, undeveloped production. I’ve remixed the album and re-ordered the tracks in an attempt to bring its production quality closer to “Your Arsenal” or “You are the Quarry” (since I don’t have the original master, I couldn’t mix it as precisely as I’d like or undo the reverb on Morrissey's voice). In some cases I just filled out the sound with guitars/emulated the live version, and in others I adding new elements to enhance the song (for e.g., Driving Your GF, End of the Family Line). Hope you like it, thanks for listening either way. Here was my approach to changes (I remastered all the songs so that they sound consistent relative to one another):
1. Our Frank – significant changes. Original has boring, hokey production, like a Madness song. I added a number of guitars to fill out the song and make it edgier.
2. Asian Rut – no changes. The song is unusual, a storytelling in ¾ time (a waltz beat, which limited the musical possibilities). I experimented with adding guitars, cymbals, etc., but decided to leave it alone because anything I did wouldn’t be better, just different.
3. Sing Your Life – moderate changes. Original is okay but lacks “edge”. I added the strumming and distortion riff used by the band in the KROQ session.
4. Mute Witness – mild changes. Original is really well produced, just a little thin in the background. I added a couple of background guitars mimicking the original riffs to fill out the sound.
5. King Leer – moderate changes. Original lacks the swing of the band’s live version, so I sped it up and added some guitars and a small bass riff to make it closer to the live version.
6. Driving Your Girlfriend Home – significant changes. Original has boring production, lwith hardly any musical changes between the verse, chorus and bridge (like beat poetry over a jazz improv). I added guitars/harps to improve the emotional effect of the song.
7. I’m the End of the Line – significant changes. Original has terrible production (the tempo’s off, the drums and bass have no groove). I sped up the song, added a new bass line and a number of string parts to create some drama.
8. Tony the Pony (this song was on my US released CD) – significant changes. Original has okay production, though the bass line is too similar to Sing Your Life and the instrumentation is predictable. I added some guitar riffs to take it in a new direction.
9. Found Found Found – no changes. Good production.
10. There’s a Place In Hell for Me and my Friends – no changes. Original has good production, and the KROQ live version is a good alternative rock version.
11. The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye – mild changes. Again, the song is unusual, and the production’s carnival-esque atmosphere plays off of this. I felt the tempo was languid and the intro/outro indulgent, so I sped up and shortened the song (and since I think it’s the weakest of the songs, moved it to the end of the album), but otherwise left it alone.
If you add in the singles/b-sides from this era (My Love Life, the Loop, Pregnant for the Last Time), I think it improves the album dramatically, just like the re-release of Maladjusted was improved by the various b-sides.

Last edited by DavidA on 2013-01-20 17:32; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 20-Jan-2013 19:23 (after 1 hour 57 minutes)

[Quote]

Sounds interesting, ta.
[Profile] [PM]

Stubs

Longevity: 10 years

Post 20-Jan-2013 20:13 (after 49 minutes)

[Quote]

Hi David,
thank you very much for this nice update of a classic old album. :)
Hopefully we all will hear some new songs this year ... :wink:
Greeting to kushvin too.
Read you soon ....
Stubs
[Profile] [PM]

johnnyyen

Longevity: 8 years 5 months

Post 21-Jan-2013 05:51 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you.
[Profile] [PM]

lipsmgriff

Longevity: 4 years 10 months

Post 23-Jan-2013 06:39 (after 2 days)

[Quote]

Thank you!
[Profile] [PM]

MacPhisto247

Post 23-Jan-2013 09:07 (after 2 hours 28 minutes)

[Quote]

interesting post. thanks for sharing. 8)
[Profile] [PM]

Dr Wolfenstein

Post 23-Jan-2013 12:22 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

thanks buddy :)
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 23-Jan-2013 15:48 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

interesting ... worth a try
[Profile] [PM]

gonzax

Post 23-Jan-2013 16:15 (after 26 minutes)

[Quote]

Wow! ,I'm deeply impressed with what you've done here, I absolutely love it. If only the original album was this good.
Thanks a lot for this, amazing job.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 23-Jan-2013 17:03 (after 48 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks

Last edited by ravenslament. on 2013-01-23 17:43; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

wilson

Longevity: 5 years 2 months

Post 23-Jan-2013 17:34 (after 30 minutes)

[Quote]

Thank you :)
[Profile] [PM]

Der_Pole

Post 23-Jan-2013 21:07 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

I am speechless...
great work!
[Profile] [PM]

tjgermano

Longevity: 4 years 10 months

Post 24-Jan-2013 00:06 (after 2 hours 58 minutes)

[Quote]

Cool!
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 24-Jan-2013 22:04 (after 21 hour)

[Quote]

Gracias David.
:D
[Profile] [PM]

joeymozzer

Longevity: 5 years 9 months

Post 25-Jan-2013 03:28 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

im unable to open the file, what am i doing wrong?
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 12-Dec 00:30