Friday Fun - Smiths Influences

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 13 years

Post 04-Jan-2013 20:09

[Quote]

Here's a zip of all the influences of The Smiths I could find. 125MB zip. Most from Uncleskinny (thank you!)
So to make a bit of fun out of this, can you work out what song they influenced? No googling and if you just remember the answer then let someone try and guess instead. Some easier than others.
Elvis Presley - (Marie's The Name Of) His Latest Flame
The Beatles - Dear Prudence
Hamilton Bohannon - Disco Stomp
Victoria Wood - Fourteen again
James Taylor - Handy Man
Sandie Shaw - Heaven Knows I'm Missing Him Now
Marvin Gaye - Hitch Hike
The Rolling Stones - Hitch Hike
The Velvet Underground - I Can't Stand It
Billy Fury - I'll Never Quite Get Over You
Paul Jones - I've Been A Bad Bad Boy
The Rolling Stones - Jumping Jack Flash
Patti Smith - Kimberly
David Bowie - Kooks
New York Dolls - Lonely Planet Boy
The Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'
T-Rex - Metal Guru
Buffalo Springfield - Mr. Soul
Sparks - Never Turn Your Back On Mother
The Cookies - Only to Other People
T-Rex - Ride A White Swan
Jo Jo Gunne - Run Run Run
Johnny Tillotson - Send Me The Pillow That You Dream On
Reparata - Shoes
Jolly Old Fellows - Take Me Back To Dear Old Blighty
Leonard Cohen - Take This Longing
Ricky Valance - Tell Laura I Love Her
Elvis Presley - That's Alright Mama
Joni Mitchell - The Silky Veils Of Ardor
Sparks This Town Aint Bg Enough For The Both Of Us
Chris Andrews? - Yesterday Man
Chuck Berry - You Can't Touch Me
The L Shaped Room
The Man Who Came To Dinner

If anyone has any to add then let me know.
[Profile] [PM]

phil spector

Post 04-Jan-2013 20:27 (after 17 minutes)

[Quote]

Oh yes!
There’s so much buried in the past to steal from, one’s resources are limitless.” (Morrissey, interviewed in The Face, 1984).
My blog, www.plainorpan.com has a few of these scattered about, if you care to look. Some of the links are dead sadly, as they keep being deleted by the internet police when I'm not looking.
Here's some stuff about How Soon Is Now: http://plainorpan.com/2011/01/23/marrs-barres/
Here's some stuff about a Rush And A Push... : http://plainorpan.com/2011/09/19/salford-fads-club/
Here's some stuff about There Is a Light... : http://plainorpan.com/2012/07/04/riff-trade/
(I'm currently working on a bit about Rusholme Ruffians, hence the last request, David.)
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 04-Jan-2013 20:32 (after 5 minutes)

[Quote]

Oh wow! That's some good diggin'. Shame all those sendspace links died. I can provide them MP3 if you give me a list (what.cd).
I feel a project coming on... perhaps a torrent which includes all the influences we can find plus some background as per your blog. Interested?
Here's a clip from the movie Alice Adams.
[Profile] [PM]

georgethetwentythird

Longevity: 8 years 5 months

Post 05-Jan-2013 16:26 (after 19 hours)

[Quote]

Great list! Not sure if it actually was an influence, but whenever I hear The Draize Train, I always think of Led Zep's Trampled Underfoot :)
Tim
[Profile] [PM]

egosheep

Longevity: 12 years

Post 06-Jan-2013 21:33 (after 1 day 5 hours)

[Quote]

One error in the list, David... It was Jimmy Jones' version of Handy Man that was an influence for Reel Around The Fountain, not James Taylor's. It was misreported in The Severed Alliance and corrected in STSYL by Goddard.
Per Johnny:
"'Reel Around The Fountain' was my interpretation of Jimmy Jones' version of 'Handy Man'. It came from one of mine and Joe Moss' marathon R&B record sessions one morning at Crazy Face. We went from listening to The Platters, which I wasn't really getting behind, to Jimmy Jones. I remerbered hearing the track from when I was a kid, 'cos one of me aunties or somebody used to play it. So I remembered the melody of 'Handy Man' but then when I tried to play it myself I got it all wrong, which was useful really. I was trying to do a classic melodic pop tune, and it had the worst kind of surface prettiness to it. But at the same time, Joy Division was influencing everybody in England. That dark element -- it wasn't that I wanted to be like them, but they brought out something in the darkness of the overall track. In a sense, Bernard Sumner was one of the most influential guitarists and writers of the '80s. There would never have been a U2 or a Cure if it hadn't been for Joy Division."
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 07-Jan-2013 20:28 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

Thx for the correction, egosheep. I can't hear how Handy Man made it to Reel Around the Fountain but it's hard for me to listen to Handy Man and ignore the vocals.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 14-Oct 08:45