[Quote]

UPDATE: HIGHER QUALITY VERSION HERE.
ARTIST: The Smiths
DATE: October 21, 1986
LOCALE: Nottingham, UK
VENUE: Royal Concert Hall
SHOT: Audience
LINEAGE: VHS (1-2?) > ??? > DVD > DVD Decrypter > You
I'm not a Smiths expert, but I hope this is something that will make some folks here happy.
A while back there was quite a bit of discussion regarding the 1986 videos that Steve shot. About 2 months ago I completed a trade with a nice member here (Mick), who had this to say during said discussion:
"I well remember trading tapes with Steve back in the 80's and got 6 of the 1986 gigs from him - Palladium 26/10, Brixton 24/10, Nottingham 21/10, Salford 20/7, Wolverhampton 15/10 and Brixton 12/12. Still have the tapes to this day and have now transferred them to DVD...."
Mick sent me both Wolverhampton & Nottingham, the latter of which I'm offering up here. I did what I could with the lineage, but judging from his comments above and the following screenshots, I think it's safe to say this is from a 1st or 2nd generation VHS. (I believe as we were emailing each other, he did indeed mention his tape that sourced this DVD came from Steve's master).
And to answer the question: "Yes," Wolverhampton is in similar quality, and "yes" I'll get that one seeded too. Very least I can do for such a great site that's helped out my collection so very much.

Last edited by Ivory88 on 2006-08-14 23:58; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88 ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 14-Aug-2006 23:53 (after 8 minutes)

[Quote]

Screen #1:
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88 ®

Post 14-Aug-2006 23:53 (after 31 second)

[Quote]

Screen #2:
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88 ®

Post 14-Aug-2006 23:54 (after 26 seconds)

[Quote]

Screen #3:
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88 ®

Post 14-Aug-2006 23:54 (after 18 seconds)

[Quote]

Screen #4:
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 15-Aug-2006 00:41 (after 47 minutes)

[Quote]

A thousand thanks. I never even knew this one was out there. Of course, I'll be hounding you for Wolverhampton just as soon as you've seeded this one.
Can't wait to see it.
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88 ®

Post 15-Aug-2006 01:01 (after 19 minutes)

[Quote]

It really is quite good, and I think you'll be pretty darned happy with it, David. The very occasional drop-out here and there, but the screens give a fairly accurate account.
And like I said: Just wanted to give something back for you running such a nice site.
[Profile] [PM]

honorbak

Post 15-Aug-2006 05:10 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you very much for this valuable piece ! :)
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 15-Aug-2006 05:53 (after 43 minutes)

[Quote]

Amazing!
I really didn't expect this, so thank you very much, Ivory88.
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88 ®

Post 15-Aug-2006 06:29 (after 35 minutes)

[Quote]

Well, my apologies for wasting about the first 10 hours on this. I use burst! almost religiously, but for some reason it wasn't seeding this. Have switched to Azureus and all seems to be going well now. 'Preciate your patience.
[Profile] [PM]

shelfcompact

Post 15-Aug-2006 10:34 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Umm, holy crap!
Wow, thank you so much for this, really!
Great upload speed too, I'm pretty sure this DVD is PAL format, but just want to make sure?
[Profile] [PM]

lazarus

Post 15-Aug-2006 11:39 (after 1 hour 4 minutes)

[Quote]

Still about one year ago i always thought there was only a couple of Smiths video boots on earth, the usual Madrid, Rockpalast etc
To find such gems on this site is unbelievable, you all who put them available here maybe don't even realize the emotion a lot of us (very) longtime fans feel when we catch those.
A million thanks from deep in our hearts !
[Profile] [PM]

lazarus

Post 15-Aug-2006 11:45 (after 6 minutes)

[Quote]

erm.. by the way there's already no seeders left at the mo'
Note: does this dvd feature "never had non one ever" ? Passionsjustlikemine inform us that some vhs boots lack this track.
[Profile] [PM]

blameless

Post 15-Aug-2006 12:03 (after 17 minutes)

[Quote]

There are several of these audience recordings as Ivory 88 rightly says. I literally transferred my copy of Nottingham to DVD at the weekend so thanks for the post Ivory....beat me to it! :-)
The rarest is probably the Brixton Ace show, terrible quality though so I've never bothered transferring it to DVD.
Does anyone remember the Smithsvideo comps that Chris Adams used to sell? Always good quality. I've got a few of those if anyone wants them put up?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 15-Aug-2006 12:32 (after 28 minutes)

[Quote]

Great thread. To see other obsessives react in the same way I do is... reassuring (I think). ;)
Do you know the story of this? From the screenshots it looks like it was recorded by one of the stage hands. I have a feeling that quite a few were recorded this way. The Sheffield gig which is seeded elsewhere in this forum was a memento made by roadies for the roadies (or somesuch). I reckon there's quite a lot of this kind of footage sitting in someones cupboard somewhere.
If I read the original post, it seems like it came from someone, who passed it to Steve, who passed it to Mick, who passed it to you. If that's true, then Steve (if you're reading) can you share the story?
Does Stephane (passionsjustlikemine.com) read this site? With so many new recordings on this site I'm losing track whether these are 'documented'.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 11-Dec 21:09