Lossless versus lossy

Go to page :   Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Demian ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 22-Jun-2012 17:26

[Quote]

2) Should this site stick to posting "true" lossless recordings? No, because it would find very little to seed. Fourth generation cassettes and CDs of FM radio broadcasts are not lossless in any sense that is useful.
Sorry, savbomb, but I can neither follow nor agree to this (your) kind of argumentation:
Doesn't it say in other words: ok, this is a SPANISH-music forum but as there are (in my personal opinion!) not enough seeds, I will also share PORTUGUISE (or SWEDISH) music and that's correct that way!
Come on!!! In my opinion, this argumentation is a laugh (or sad!).
It simply means "quantity over quality" and don't have a close look if it's really SPANISH (or it doesn't matter at all because I know that is SWEDISH!)
There are enough forums were you can find Portuguise or Swedish Music or mixed different styles, why post them in the SPANISH one?!
And what is "useful" or not is open to discussion like we are doing here now!
First:
Show me all your mentioned 4th-generation cassettes and obviously it seems there are a lot (or even most of them are).
BTW: Until now we were quite happy with them over the past 6 years! And there were times (some time before you!) we are awaiting them happily every Friday evening! :)
And up to now we were also fine with the knowledge there are still concerts of The Smiths available only in MP3 but no-one came up saying we should transfer them to FLAC ("enhancing" them a bit before). No, we were and are still patiently waiting that one of those will see the light as LOSSLESS. Why? If it's so obvious to do (if they are in reasonable quality)
Do you really think all others here are stupid and not clever enough to realise that a "normal" 128 kbps lossy is sounding better than a recoding with a 30-years old consumer recorder (held in hand)?
Second:
Why do you think there does exist software like TAU (lossless/mpeg-sourced) and why this software has "some meaning" in the FLAC communities?
Why do you think people post (also here!) their frequency snaps of LOSSLESS recordings and in some FLAC-based forums it's an absolute must or you get banned?
Why do you think there is always a discussion if a recording shows lossy tendencies (not only in this forum)?
Third:
If you are so into "useful", why didn't you simply upload your "enhanced" concert in MP3-format or any other lossy?! Probably nobody could spot any difference in sound to your FLAC's? (but then they had the state they should have: lossy! and to avoid confusions with lossless (IMO))
Fourth:
Have a look in other FLAC-based forums, is it acceptable there to upload converted mp3/mp2 in FLAC form? In many of them it is not! (and it has a good reason because that's really useless and leads to a mess, soon or later. (IMO))
Fifth:
Why did you wrote in your torrent-post "I guess that's a lossy format, but"? ;) "I know" would have been much more correct!
And even yourself went on with "but...", very indicative (I think you already knew by yourself about FLAC...) :)
BTW: I don't think it's pervert to rule out DVD, it would be just consequent for audio ;). But lossy is allowed for video (no, not inconsequent because a different matter - at least for me).

[Profile] [PM]

fab eberhard

Longevity: 7 years 2 months

Post 23-Jun-2012 12:03 (after 18 hours)

[Quote]

why are you so angry?
[Profile] [PM]

Demian ®

Post 23-Jun-2012 17:34 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

I'm absolutely not angry (but probably quite strict in the flac discussion)
But what at the beginning started as a question, if "it's ok?" (lossy but flac), ended in something odd with stranger argumentations (from my point of view) and becoming personal, also from my side. Sorry for that.
[Profile] [PM]

fab eberhard

Longevity: 7 years 2 months

Post 23-Jun-2012 17:45 (after 11 minutes)

[Quote]

all good. i think it big of you to say so... from an observers point of view the discussion was straying badly... no judgements here just saying we all know of other sites that excel in these matters. smithtorrents has always been above that.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Longevity: 8 years 2 months

Post 24-Jun-2012 07:42 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

who cares enjoy the music
[Profile] [PM]

Demian ®

Post 24-Jun-2012 10:25 (after 2 hours 42 minutes)

[Quote]

Just to keep in mind: http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=5212#5215
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 24-Jun-2012 10:57 (after 31 minute)

[Quote]

That was posted over 5 years ago when the board was relatively shiny and new. A certain amount of compromise or flexibility could/should be permitted to keep the board active. In my opinion ;)
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 27-Jun 20:57