An alternative to the HD tour?

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 13 years

Post 12-Jun-2012 17:33

[Quote]

Some people have suggested direct downloads. Others have suggested a cloud solution. I quite like the idea of using a seedbox.
A Dropbox-style sync would be great, but the Smiths section alone is 350GB and Dropbox gets expensive beyond 50GB. I don't really want to deal with the logistics of rotating the shows through the Dropbox.
Other Cloud and sync solutions are available, but their T&Cs are a minefield. Is anyone offering 1TB sync across multiple computers, unrestricted bandwidth? Direct Downloads, such as Amazon S3, seem to be too expensive unless I'm missing something.
A seedbox is a remote server that seeds torrents at high speeds. It means that all those older shows could be seeded by the seedbox at high speed. 100Mbit upload is about £10 per month. In theory, that would give you about 12MB/second, which is significantly better than my 6Mbit upload which in practice gets me 250Kbit/second upload. Here's the best example I found.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 12-Jun-2012 18:39 (after 1 hour 5 minutes)

[Quote]

Is the seed box on a monthly basis, ie if you only need it for 4 months you only pay for 4 months. Or is it on a yearly basis?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 12-Jun-2012 18:59 (after 20 minutes)

[Quote]

Varies. I think the one I linked to was monthly.
[Profile] [PM]

rabiteguy

Longevity: 7 years 11 months

Post 12-Jun-2012 21:06 (after 2 hours 7 minutes)

[Quote]

Given the large size and bandwidth requirements, it does appear that a seedbox would be the best option. It's basically a dedicated server for files but without the high cost for bandwidth. If even just a few of us pitch in the price can be kept quite low.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 12-Jun-2012 22:44 (after 1 hour 37 minutes)

[Quote]

Well I bought the seedbox for a month. Let me put a couple of test files on it and see if it's a workable solution.
[Profile] [PM]

Dr Wolfenstein

Longevity: 12 years

Post 13-Jun-2012 08:34 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

There are plenty of seedbox options, i've used one for about 2 years. Check out seedunlimited its about 8-9 £ a month and my HD storage is about 125 though they go upto about 500 i think.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 13-Jun-2012 18:38 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

Well I added this to the seedbox.
http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3533
It seeds at a good rate. About 3MB/s up, which is a big improvement on my usual upload of about 250kbit. Try it out if you like.
I don't know if it's a good substitute for the hard disc tour, but it makes the torrents here much speedier.
[Profile] [PM]

fab eberhard

Longevity: 9 years 1 month

Post 14-Jun-2012 00:59 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

wow!! that took almost no time what so ever,,, hmmmmm... thanks david!!
[Profile] [PM]

Arno

Longevity: 7 years 7 months

Post 17-Jun-2012 22:29 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Perhaps it's old fashioned but perhaps a web server and uploading everything there? So users can download it in their browser, or through FTP software. I do the same for another band, people literally download terabytes per year and that's possible since our hosting company allows unlimited bandwidth. And, not unimportant, for a fairly cheap price as well.
The speeds are good as well, but truth said not really fast. Depends on how many users are downloading at the same time, obviously.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 17-Jun-2012 22:41 (after 12 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks Arno. I failed to find a web server that offered a good amount of space, a good amount of space and unlimited bandwidth for a sensible price. Open to suggestions.
[Profile] [PM]

Arno

Longevity: 7 years 7 months

Post 17-Jun-2012 22:44 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks Arno. I failed to find a web server that offered a good amount of space, a good amount of space and unlimited bandwidth for a sensible price. Open to suggestions.
This is the one we use:
http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml
As you can see, really cheap. (I admit, the site also looks cheap). Mind you, there isn't a 24/7 uptime but the times our site has been out, can be counted with one hand. And they have an excellent support.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 17-Jun-2012 23:14 (after 29 minutes)

[Quote]

Hrm... that actually is really cheap. I'd only need it to host the files. Do you have a file that you could link me to so that I could check the download speed?
[Profile] [PM]

egosheep

Longevity: 11 years

Post 18-Jun-2012 00:50 (after 1 hour 36 minutes)

[Quote]

This is looking promising. Even at slow speeds, it would let everyone fill up their own drive and the collection could be updated with new content as it emerged.
Then we could foresee a future for smithstorrents where every torrent has 10-15 seeders or more. Pretty cool!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 18-Jun-2012 00:54 (after 4 minutes)

[Quote]

I don't think the lack of seeders has anything to do with the fact that people don't have the files.
250 downloads, 7 seeders.
[Profile] [PM]

egosheep

Longevity: 11 years

Post 18-Jun-2012 00:55 (after 53 seconds)

[Quote]

Hmm. Does this mean I could literally have 6-7 TB up backed up on the cloud for $4 a month? If that's true, seems like a pretty great deal.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 26-May 15:13