Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Reply to topic

batnaMMV ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 20-Jul-2006 20:23

[Quote]

I was just reading the Queen Is Dead page on the Passions Just Like Mine site and saw this entry about the above track
From passionsjustlikemine:
"The version of "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" is slightly different on original Australian pressings on CBS and Festival Records. The intro doesn't fade in then out as it does everywhere else"
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/smiths-d23tqid.htm
Has anybody heard this non spoiled version by any chance?
[Profile] [PM]

taco

Post 22-Jul-2006 23:11 (after 2 days 2 hours)

[Quote]

I never understood that fade. Does anyone know why it exists? Something about that song make it my all time favorite of the Smiths. I think it's Marr's guitar that does it for me.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 23-Jul-2006 19:10 (after 19 hours)

[Quote]

I've got the unfaded one somewhere, but I can't find it right now.
I've heard that some engineers put a volume dip in the track to stop it being used as a master, but this version ended up on the master all the same. I've also heard that it was deliberate. According to Occam's Razor, I'd be inclined to believe the latter, but you're best off asking Steven Street. Surely someone has by now?
I never thought too much of Some Girls until I heard the version played 12/12/86. The revised intro is sublime.
Stop Press. I just looked up the track in Songs That Saved Your Life.
"Completed midway through the Jacobs sessions, though it seemed an unlikely album closer, as the final track on The Queen Is Dead, 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' worked as a flippant palate cleanser after its more emotionally intense peaks. Engineer Stephen Street would also add his own stamp on the record with a twist on the false fade out he'd previously suggested for 'That Joke Isn't Funny Anmore'. 'The song, as it was, just faded in, so I thought we had to do something a bit more interesting. Basically I put all the reverb on the drums up so it sounded like it was coming in from some large hall, then faded it down really quickly. Then I took all the reverb back off and faded it up again. The effect was supposed to be like the music's in a hall somewhere, it goes away, then it comes back and it's nice and clean and dry. A bit like opening a door, closing it, then opening it again and walking in.'"
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV ®

Post 23-Jul-2006 19:45 (after 34 minutes)

[Quote]

That's interesting, I had always thought it was an engineer trying to screw up the mix but it seems to have been deliberate after all. Nevertheless, I thought the fade out/in on That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore was done better than this. The live version intro is superb, the intro is so intricate and because it is slower you appreciate the guitar parts even more than usual.
Thanks for the info :D
PS Regarding Songs That Saved Your Life, has a new version been released recently, or is it just a reprint?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 23-Jul-2006 20:20 (after 35 minutes)

[Quote]

My editiono is "revised and expanded edition" which I bought a year ago.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 25-Jun 08:47