Morrissey to tour Asia and New Zealand, release new Sparks remix of ‘Suedehead’

Go to page :   Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

steve

Longevity: 13 years

Post 25-Jan-2012 11:42

[Quote]

I'm sorry, but I don't think he walks on water. He says lots of things that I don't agree with.
I'm a fan of the music ... and more so the Smiths than Morrissey on his own.
I don't have any bias towards Morrissey's words. It would be the same no matter who had said them.
My bias is against the tabloids like NME who love to whip up controversy regardless of whether they need to manipulate the truth to do it.
You can't make 'subspecies' mean something that it does not, just to suit your argument.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 25-Jan-2012 11:55 (after 12 minutes)

[Quote]

oh come on now!
i certainly have no bias towards "deliberately misunderstanding" what he said! why would anyone who is enough of a fan to be on a website such as this be that way?
the precise quote was: "Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies."
i really don't see how any rational person with an objective mind could read that in any other way than to view that as a derogitory slight against the chinese race.
if anyone is harbouring a bias towards moz's words, it is people such as you who think he walks on water and couldn't possibly be guilty of any wrongdoing.
By subspecies he clearly means they're different from other humans. Not necessarily less than human but different to the rest of us. Smacks of racism.
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 25-Jan-2012 16:40 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

different does not equal racist surely? We are all different, but we can be grouped together by our similarities. That's what Taxonomy's all about.
So saying that they are different (i.e. are a subspecies) is not inherently racist.
However by saying that the difference (i.e their attitude towards animals) is abhorrent, you could argue that he's being racist, by classifying that difference in terms of being good or bad.
[Profile] [PM]

rivum

Post 26-Jan-2012 13:18 (after 20 hours)

[Quote]

However by saying that the difference (i.e their attitude towards animals) is abhorrent, you could argue that he's being racist, by classifying that difference in terms of being good or bad.
yes, now you've got it!
i agree - his saying they are different is not a problem when said on it's own. it's when read in the context of him speaking of their treatment of animals that the intent of his words is revealed.
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 26-Jan-2012 14:09 (after 51 minute)

[Quote]

yes, now you've got it!
that's a bit patronizing.
As far as I'm concerned there's nothing to 'get'.
If you want to get your knickers in a twist about Morrissey being a 'racist', then that's your business.
As far as I can see, he'll quite happily have a go at anyone who treats animals badly, and probably considers all humans as inferior to animals. Seems a reasonable attitude to have, even though I may not think exactly the same.
If you want to read his statement as racist, then that's your prerogative. I have no objection.
But its just your opinion.
[Profile] [PM]

abbym

Longevity: 7 years 9 months

Post 27-Jan-2012 10:14 (after 20 hours)

[Quote]

That's amazing place to be in.
[Profile] [PM]

rivum

Post 27-Jan-2012 15:36 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

yes, now you've got it!
that's a bit patronizing.
As far as I'm concerned there's nothing to 'get'.
If you want to get your knickers in a twist about Morrissey being a 'racist', then that's your business.
As far as I can see, he'll quite happily have a go at anyone who treats animals badly, and probably considers all humans as inferior to animals. Seems a reasonable attitude to have, even though I may not think exactly the same.
If you want to read his statement as racist, then that's your prerogative. I have no objection.
But its just your opinion.
didn't mean it to sound patronizing...sorry if it came out that way. it just seemed that you were understanding where we were coming from.
i'm not trying to get into a war here...i just got upset when you started branding me as someone who was intentionally judging his comments in a negative way. i am a very open minded person and will always give people the benefit of the doubt.
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 27-Jan-2012 17:23 (after 1 hour 47 minutes)

[Quote]

the internet is a wonderful place for misunderstandings.
Wasn't trying to have a go at you personally either.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 14-Nov 03:38