Morrissey to tour Asia and New Zealand, release new Sparks remix of ‘Suedehead’

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

ravenslament. ®

Longevity: 8 years 6 months

Post 16-Jan-2012 06:54

[Quote]

Having performed across Europe and North America in 2011, Morrissey now is setting his sights on Asia and New Zealand, and is expected to announce a 10-date tour of Japan later this week, followed by concerts in Thailand, the Philippines and New Zealand — and he may be planning some performances in South America, too.
According to a notice posted this afternoon to fansite True To You — long Moz’s preferred outlet for official news — the ex-Smiths singer will perform in Japan in April, and the 10 concerts will mark “the most detailed tour of Japan ever undertaken by Morrissey.” It’s not clear when the singer will announce dates in Thailand, the Philippines or New Zealand, nor is there any indication he’ll also play Australia while in that region of the world.
While that announcement makes no mention of South America, another fansite, Morrissey-solo.com, links to a Chilean newspaper report confirming Morrissey will headline the Viña del Mar International Song Festival on Feb. 24, and indicates may also play a concert in Santiago.
Additionally, the True To You announcement reveals that, also in April, EMI will release a release a single featuring a remix of “Suedehead” by Ron and Russell Mael, better known as Sparks. The 3:35-long mix will released as a CD single and as a 10-inch vinyl picture disc, “both using previously unseen photographs of Morrissey.”
It’s likely that the new “Suedehead” mix is simply a shortened version of the 6:36-long Sparks remix of the Viva Hate track that appeared on the Rhino Records remix compilation Future Retro, which was released in 2005 — and which you can hear in its entirety below.
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2012/01/15/morrissey-japan-tour-thailand-philippines-new-zealand/
an official single release for the sparks remix - well an edited version any way on emi ???????
[Profile] [PM]

ScottyMoz

Longevity: 5 years 10 months

Post 16-Jan-2012 16:25 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Yes, its good news for all of those people out in that neck of the woods! I am glad we are also getting a "new" single out in April via EMI and the 10" will make a nice collectors item for the future!
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 16-Jan-2012 16:32 (after 7 minutes)

[Quote]

to have a physical copy of the remix instead of an mp3 would be excellent , lets just hope i can get it from the only high street music shop available . lets hope i'm not disappointed this time :wink:
[Profile] [PM]

smorrissey

Longevity: 11 years

Post 18-Jan-2012 17:37 (after 2 days 1 hour)

[Quote]

Ups... site down. SOPA against.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 19-Jan-2012 08:38 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

Presumably he's checked the destinations don't contain anyone that he'd call "subhuman".
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 19-Jan-2012 09:19 (after 40 minutes)

[Quote]

actually what he said was a 'Sub-Species' which is completely different from saying 'subhuman'.
sub-species are just members of a species that have been grouped by their differences. Sub in this case meaning part of a greater whole.
The sub in subhuman implies 'less than', which is a completely different thing.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 19-Jan-2012 12:36 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

actually what he said was a 'Sub-Species' which is completely different from saying 'subhuman'.
sub-species are just members of a species that have been grouped by their differences. Sub in this case meaning part of a greater whole.
Fair point. I still think it's unacceptable to label an entire nation as a sub-species, it'll be interesting to see if this has any bearing on the NME case.
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Longevity: 9 years 5 months

Post 19-Jan-2012 13:02 (after 26 minutes)

[Quote]

And why does the "sub" in "subspecies" not mean "less than ordinary species"? In that case, it's even more offensive.
I bet all Chinese people will be denied entry to the concerts.
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 19-Jan-2012 16:06 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

And why does the "sub" in "subspecies" not mean "less than ordinary species
Because it doesn't, just as submarine doesn't mean 'less that the sea'
Taxonomy, which is the science of naming species, is all about identifying differences and similarities between living organisms and grouping them, with no concern to the relative merits of those differences.
I still think it's unacceptable to label an entire nation as a sub-species
On the contrary, it makes perfect sense. The 'Race' classification system, is pretty much the same thing ... grouping humans based on their characteristics.
If you wanted to say that you thought that The Chinese have a completely different attitude to the treatment of animals than the rest of the world, it seems a reasonable way to put it.
Not really correct, in that the difference is probably not enough to justify the creation of a separate sub-species, but a reasonable way to put your point across.
Sorry, I'm going off on one. It just really pisses me off when the press deliberately misunderstand something to whip up some controversy. Morrissey should know better and not give them anything to work with.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 19-Jan-2012 16:43 (after 36 minutes)

[Quote]

moz will be moz :D :wink:
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 19-Jan-2012 19:03 (after 2 hours 20 minutes)

[Quote]

Sorry, I'm going off on one. It just really pisses me off when the press deliberately misunderstand something to whip up some controversy. Morrissey should know better and not give them anything to work with.
Agree with the last bit. Morrissey whips up controversy all by his own.
I was there when he followed up singing "People are the same everywhere" by saying "Except in China"......
[Profile] [PM]

rivum

Post 20-Jan-2012 17:59 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

And why does the "sub" in "subspecies" not mean "less than ordinary species
Because it doesn't, just as submarine doesn't mean 'less that the sea'
no, it means, below the sea. so take that how you will.
and, really, i think you need to look at moz's intent of his quote, rather than the semantics of the language.
he called them a subspecies in reference to how they treated animals, which talks directly to him thinking they are below the average human on the evolutionary scale.
so he does specifically think tey are "less than ordinary species".
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 20-Jan-2012 20:43 (after 2 hours 43 minutes)

[Quote]

more tour info :
Prior to his still-to-be-announced tour of Japan, Morrissey will head to South America for in late February for concerts in Chile, Peru, Argentina and Colombia. So far, the singer has announced — via fansite True To You — two performances in Chile and his first-ever concert in Peru; shows in Colombia and Argentina will be announced next week.
On Jan. 27, promoters in Japan will announce Morrissey’s 10-date tour of that country in April, his most extensive ever. After that, he’s expected to add dates in Thailand, the Philippines and New Zealand, according to a statement released last week.
Morrissey tour dates:
Feb. 24: Viña del Mar International Song Festival, Viña del Mar, Chile
Feb. 26: Movistar Arena, Santiago, Chile
Feb. 29: Lima Jockey Club, Lima, Peru
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2012/01/20/morrissey-south-america-tour-dates-peru-chile-argentina-colombia/
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 21-Jan-2012 16:16 (after 19 hours)

[Quote]

no, it means, below the sea. so take that how you will.
Well it means exactly what it says. Under the sea ... which is what a submarine does.
which talks directly to him thinking they are below the average human on the evolutionary scale.
That's how you read it with a deliberate misunderstanding of what he said.
Morrissey is very particular about language (in case you'd never noticed), and the idea that he would use a particular word without knowing exactly what he was saying is very far fetched.
I'm quite prepared to believe he said it deliberately to catch people out. And I'm quite prepared to believe that he thinks that anyone who treat animals cruelly are bastards.
But I think his point was that the Chinese have such a different attitude to the treatment of animals than we do that it must be genetic.
so he does specifically think tey are "less than ordinary species".
No. That's your reading of what he thinks based on your deliberate misunderstanding of what was said.
You can't deduce what people mean, by taking what they say, and changing the meaning of the words that they use to suit what you want them to have said.
That's what the bloody tabloids do all the time. (the NME is a tabloid these days). Deliberately distort the truth, so that the less discerning readers, who can't be bothered to think for themselves, accept everything they say at face value.
You cannot say that Subspecies means "less than ordinary species", however much you might want Morrissey to have said something controversial.
[Profile] [PM]

rivum

Post 24-Jan-2012 20:56 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

oh come on now!
i certainly have no bias towards "deliberately misunderstanding" what he said! why would anyone who is enough of a fan to be on a website such as this be that way?
the precise quote was: "Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies."
i really don't see how any rational person with an objective mind could read that in any other way than to view that as a derogitory slight against the chinese race.
if anyone is harbouring a bias towards moz's words, it is people such as you who think he walks on water and couldn't possibly be guilty of any wrongdoing.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Oct 09:03