Smiths/Morrissey official cover work. Why?

Reply to topic

taco ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 12-Jul-2006 02:32

[Quote]

:?: Morrissey's face was never on any Smiths official releases, but he's been on I think every one (98%) of his solo efforts. Any idea why that is? Does his image alone sell records? I remember him saying that he did not like the way he looked and that made sense to me on not being on the covers?
Is he a clever one?
[Profile] [PM]

shelfcompact

Post 17-Jul-2006 00:51 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

Morrissey was on just two Smith releases I believe.

What Difference Does It Make?
(after the Stamp cover had to be pulled, he copied the picture)
and

Ask
(re-released Austrialian single)
And yes, he is a clever one.
[Profile] [PM]

Mozalini

Post 17-Jul-2006 18:04 (after 17 hours)

[Quote]

Morrissey's face was never on any Smiths official releases, but he's been on I think every one (98%) of his solo efforts. Any idea why that is? Does his image alone sell records? I remember him saying that he did not like the way he looked and that made sense to me on not being on the covers?
sorry this may sound like some stuck up geek but i dont believe he is on southpaw grammar or if you want to be precise he isnt on world of morrissey either
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 18-Jul-2006 09:23 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

Maybe the idea was to create a distinct identity for his solo records, and an obvious move was to become the Cover Star!
[Profile] [PM]

ownZero

Post 21-Jul-2006 23:07 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Bands in which the members believe they are all equal parts of a whole, likely would not have covers that emphasis only one member and exclude the others. It sends a message that the cover-pictured member is the star and the rest are no more than hired side men.
The other three Smiths may not have been receptive to just featuring Morrissey. As it is, the various images that were used made a far better lasting impression about the bands image and mystique than multiple pictures of Morrissey would have.
Once the band was no more and Morrissey was a solo artist, putting his image out front made sense.
[Profile] [PM]

Mozalini

Post 22-Jul-2006 10:09 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

It sends a message that the cover-pictured member is the star and the rest are no more than hired side men
Sorry but I hardly think this is a fair comment, in Morrissey's case anyway, I'm sure that he view the likes of Boz, Alain and Gary just as important to the band as he is, Morrissey obviously loves the musicians such as Boz Boorer otherwise why would he have been in the band so fuckin' long?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 22-Jul-2006 12:52 (after 2 hours 43 minutes)

[Quote]

Looks like you have misunderstood the original comment Mozalini, the comment was a generalisation of what the record-buying public may think, not something Morrissey actually said or thought.
P.S.
Please keep your comments a little bit less aggresive, thanks ;)
[Profile] [PM]

Mozalini

Post 22-Jul-2006 20:47 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Please keep your comments a little bit less aggresive, thanks
Yeh now I review the situation I can see what you mean, and cheers for the advice sorry I sounded like a bit of a fool. Soz and thanks mate.
[Profile] [PM]

ownZero

Post 28-Jul-2006 02:55 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

It sends a message that the cover-pictured member is the star and the rest are no more than hired side men
Sorry but I hardly think this is a fair comment, in Morrissey's case anyway, I'm sure that he view the likes of Boz, Alain and Gary just as important to the band as he is, Morrissey obviously loves the musicians such as Boz Boorer otherwise why would he have been in the band so fuckin' long?
I should have written "It might rightly or wrongly be interpreted that the cover-pictured member is the star and the rest are no more than hired side men." As it was I was generalizing about bands of equals vs. performers with sidemen in that comment.
And I am sure Morrissey has the utmost respect for the musicians in his band but the CDs still have MORRISSEY on them and not "The Moz, Boz, Alain and Gary Experience." Morrissey is the attraction and without him the other musicians would not generate the same level of response. If one of Morrisseys band members left the group for whatever reason, Morrissey would likely hire a new musician to replace him and continue on in his previous fashion.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 12-Dec 02:28