Marr: 'Cameron cannot like The Smiths'

Reply to topic

ravenslament. ®

Longevity: 8 years 4 months

Post 03-Dec-2010 08:23

[Quote]

Johnny Marr has said that he wants David Cameron to stop talking about his love for The Smiths.
The guitarist, who was a founder member of the Mancunian band along with frontman Morrissey, denounced the current prime minister's claims that he is a big fan of the band.
Marr wrote on Twitter: "David Cameron, stop saying that you like The Smiths, no you don't. I forbid you to like it. (sic)"
Cameron has previously professed his fondness of the band's music and picked 'This Charming Man' when he appeared on Desert Island Discs.
The group are known for their anti-establishment stance, while Morrissey's debut solo album Viva Hate included the track 'Margaret On The Guillotine', about the imaginary execution of Margaret Thatcher.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a291168/marr...-the-smiths.html
couldn't agree more , what does that imbicile at number ten possibily know about the average man on the street . alienating a nation will only cause him grief , on the other hand keep going thatcher in trousers and we will be saying bye bye . :D
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Longevity: 11 years

Post 03-Dec-2010 10:09 (after 1 hour 46 minutes)

[Quote]

That's a silly thing to say. As any fule kno it is impossible not to like the smiths. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Johnny has only himself to blame for making such wonderful records.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 03-Dec-2010 19:33 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Cameron would have been a student during the 80s, not such a great shock if he was into The Smiths, whether he's a git or not.
Would be amusing if he was spotted on one of Steve's live recordings though...
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 06-Dec-2010 12:43 (after 2 days 17 hours)

[Quote]

Morrissey backs Marr over Prime Minister protest
Morrissey has joined his former The Smiths bandmate Johnny Marr in criticising Prime Minister David Cameron after the politician confessed he was a big fan of the pair's music. Marr was far from impressed when Cameron announced he was a big fan of The Smiths growing up, and went public with his comments last week in a tweet.
The guitarist wrote, "David Cameron, stop saying that you like The Smiths, no you don't. I forbid you to like it (sic)."
And his remarks have been echoed by Morrissey in a post on his website.
The How Soon Is Now singer writes, "I would like to, if I may, offer support to Johnny Marr who has spoken out to the media this week against David Cameron. To those who have expressed concern over Johnny's words in view of the fact that David Cameron has pledged immense allegiance to the music of the Smiths, I would like to try to explain why I think Johnny is right not to be flattered.
"It is true that music is a universal language - the ONLY universal language, and belongs to all, one way or another. However, with fitting grimness I must report that David Cameron hunts and shoots and kills stags - apparently for pleasure. It was not for such people that either (The Smiths albums) Meat Is Murder or The Queen is Dead were recorded; in fact, they were made as a reaction against such violence."
Morrissey, a fervent vegetarian, also reveals he recently refused to appear on the Andrew Marr Show alongside Cameron as a protest over the Prime Minister's plans to repeal the Hunting Act, which "would mean the brutal killing of foxes, hares, deer, badgers, otters - just about anything that moves."
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 06-Dec-2010 13:06 (after 22 minutes)

[Quote]

Morrissey has expressed his support for his former Smiths bandmate Johnny Marr after he recently criticised Prime Minister David Cameron.
In a post on Twitter, guitarist Marr quipped that he had forbidden Cameron from liking his previous band.
In an open letter to fansite True To You, Morrissey said: "I would like to try to explain why I think Johnny is right not to be flattered. It is true that music is a universal language - the ONLY universal language, and belongs to all, one way or another.
"However, with fitting grimness I must report that David Cameron hunts and shoots and kills stags - apparently for pleasure. It was not for such people that either Meat is Murder or The Queen is Dead were recorded; in fact, they were made as a reaction against such violence."
In the wide-ranging letter, Morrissey also insulted "so-called royalty" including the Queen, who he said is "indifferent" to the killing of brown bears, adding that no-one could "remember or repeat a single word ever spoken by the Queen, such is her command of communication".
He added: "Prince William - who has never made the faintest imprint on the English soul - is also a hunter of deer, as is his fiasco (fiancée) Kate Middleton... although William and Kate are so dull as people that it is actually impossible to discuss them."
He also criticised "Bryan Ferret" (Brian Ferry), his son "Odious" (Otis), Jamie Horrible (Jamie Oliver) and "the dim-witted and good-natured David Peckham (David Beckham)".
Of Beckham, he added: "David Peckham is so dull that he is yet to master his first words."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a291660/mo...als-beckham.html
sorry if they both over lap
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Longevity: 9 years 3 months

Post 06-Dec-2010 19:28 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

What a load of vegetarian crap and shite. I hate it when he makes such dull statements.
Marr isn't much better off with this one, I have to say that I agree with Steve, the whole idea of an artist forbidding somebody to like his former band seems overblown and simply stupid.
True-to-you has even more of this. Since I'm not British, I can't speak for the whole article (as it touches upon issues that seem exclusive to the UK), but this truly did make me laugh (though it's nothing really new) :
the moral climate of 2010 seeping into 2011 surely tells all intelligent people that the key to the extent of any person's humanity is in their relationship to – and protection of – animals
And it seems like he's turning his back on Roxy Music, for the obvious reason. Well, I guess I'll just never understand his way of thinking.
I apologize very deeply for my support over the years for the group Roxy Music. I had no idea until very recently that their singer Bryan Ferret is also an avid hunter, and is now managed by his Lord of the Hunt son, Odious Ferry.
This last quote actually killed the laughter caused by the first one and made me mad. Well, so much for a pleasant evening.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 06-Dec-2010 21:22 (after 1 hour 53 minutes)

[Quote]

never liked roxy music or bryan ferry , known about his views on hunting for a long time . as for the tories your either with 'em or against 'em and i'm afraid i'm totally against 'em . growing up under the neo-facism of thatcher , where the poor were kicked into the gutter and the rich become even richer , the social deprivation suffered by most working-class people along with the social unrest ie riots and strikes is embedded in my memory . as for moz and marr i can see their point of view but you can't stop people liking your music even if it is cameron . i know i wouldn't want someone of is political stance liking my music
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 06-Dec-2010 23:03 (after 1 hour 41 minute)

[Quote]

My sister was a Roxy fan when i was a kid and later got into The Smiths and it was through her i got into The Smiths.
Roxy Music had some good tunes, Ferry wasn't a bad singer, but there's been far better music made elsewhere i think.
Still if it wasn't for overproduced muzo-wank like Roxy then Punk would never have happened and Moz might never have formed The Smiths...
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 23-Aug 13:53