The ultimate Rank recording?

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 16-Feb-2006 13:41

[Quote]

How about this for a collectable? Scroll down about three-quarters of this page.
http://www.morrisseymadness.co.uk/cassette%20&%20video.htm
Much as I love the look of it, I think the pricetag is a bit large since all but three of those tracks are on my Rank CD.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 22-Feb-2006 09:38 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

...and if, like me, you recorded the gig when originally broadcast by the BBC, you'll have two of those tracks (How Soon is Now and There is a Light) anyway.
Which leaves just Frankly, Mr Shankly to justify that grand-and-a-half.
Now, I'd LOVE to think that some insider from the band's camp would snap up this gem, so that it could be used for any future release, but it strikes me that there MUST be another copy somewhere.
Surely the BBC wouldn't record (presumably on multi-track, which is the version that would be needed for a remaster) the gig, then mix it to just ONE set of master reels, and trust that the courier wouldn't lose these on the way there or back, or that Morrissey wouldn't spill a cup of tea over one of them.
Besides this, there's the issue of how it got out of the BBC if it's the one and only master. I reckon that these reels were always intended for the use of Rough Trade - why else would there be a note from Morrissey about the sleeve?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 22-Feb-2006 13:49 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

The Rank gig was recently broadcast by the BBC to celebrate 20 years of The Smiths. Does anyone know if that was the 100% complete gig? I've seen some people with a satellite recording, but haven't been able to persuade them to part with it. Anyone here got that?
A while ago I got both Oxford and Kilburn as vinyl acetates from the BBC and recorded them to DAT, but whether they were complete and whether I still have them is another story.
The reels listed on the site seem to be the ones sent from the BBC to Rough Trade for Rank. If you look at the rest of his items, you'll see that they originated from the offices of Rough Trade, so I'd presume that these tapes also came from there.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 22-Feb-2006 14:51 (after 1 hour 2 minutes)

[Quote]

Well, if you know - from the schedules, Radio Times, or wherever - how long the show was when the BBC broadcast it most recently, then we could work out whether or not it was the whole gig, because I can compare it with my recording of the original broadcast.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 22-Feb-2006 19:32 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

This press release indicates that it was the full gig. The link in the DAT Heads mailing list above says their recording is 55mins.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 27-Feb-2006 08:53 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

I'll check my original tape, but 55 minutes sounds suspiciously close to the length of a BBC Radio 1 "In Concert" broadcast from back in the 1980s.
Also, if the broadcast listed above really was via satellite or digital, it might well have been compressed for the purpose, and thus rather lossy.
Will dig out the tape and check the 1986 broadcast length, etc. one night this week.
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 11-Mar-2006 15:21 (after 12 days)

[Quote]

And here it is on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-SMITHS-RANK-10-REEL-TO-RE...Z1QQcmdZViewItem
So how many copies are out there?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 11-Mar-2006 17:15 (after 1 hour 54 minutes)

[Quote]

It's the same guy. Check his other items, it's the same Rough Trade car boot sale that's on his pages.
[Profile] [PM]

akiraware

Post 22-Apr-2006 21:13 (after 1 month 11 days)

[Quote]

I have a double bootleg sourced from vinyl called "Bad Boy From A Good Family" with the complete setlist however the quality is medium, audience recording.
It's a shame the concert is not available in full in the official "Rank"
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 23-Jun 18:59