The Story behind...

Reply to topic

desperate_one ®

Longevity: 8 years 1 month

Post 28-Aug-2010 21:13

[Quote]

Every song has a story behind it.
On "RadioEins",a German radio station,there's a show called "PopSplits" wich tells "the story behind" of great popular songs following by the song itselfs.
Always a pleasure to listen to it.
There it was,when i heard about the background of "Panic. "
...where BBC radio DJ Steve Wright played the very trite and spunky Wham! song "I'm Your Man" following a news report of the Chernobyl disaster.
Morrisseys answer:"Hang the DJ!"
Later i found this one,which is not lesser interesting:
The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
Johnny Marr (guitarist, the Smiths): As a kid I was fascinated by Hamilton Bohannon's Disco Stomp and New York Groove by Hello, and I wanted to make something with that stomp. The first decent amp I got was the Fender Twin because the Patti Smith Group used it, and it had this amazing tremolo. Later when we'd had a few hits, a review of What Difference Does It Make said I'd written a riff that was instantly recognisable, which fascinated me. One night I was playing for my own pleasure and I suddenly got the riff. It all came together - the tremolo and the stomping groove - for what became How Soon Is Now, although my demo was titled Swamp. Because it was a groove track it originally appeared as an extra track on a 12-inch, but popular clamour forced its single release. I remember when Morrissey first sang: "I am the son and the heir ..." [Producer] John Porter went, "Ah great, the elements!" Morrissey continued, " ... of a shyness that is criminally vulgar." I knew he'd hit the bullseye there and then.
Source:http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2006/feb/24/popandrock2
So,if you have more storys about the becoming of a song by The Smiths,please let us know.
Cheers!

Last edited by desperate_one on 2010-08-29 18:59; edited 2 times in total
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Longevity: 11 years

Post 28-Aug-2010 21:29 (after 15 minutes)

[Quote]

I think you'd love Simon Goddard's book "The Songs That Saved Your Life". You'll get the story of the whole Smiths catalog.
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

desperate_one ®

Longevity: 8 years 1 month

Post 29-Aug-2010 20:12 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you,Stephane.
I purchased it yesterday.It's exactly what i'm searching for.
Until today i ignored all books about The Smiths,always thinking "just another biography"...
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 15-Dec 08:22