Songs That Changed Your Life - Disc 2 - Oxford 18-3-85/Beeb

Reply to topic

blackbrick ®

Longevity: 7 years 6 months

Post 14-May-2010 11:24

[Quote]

All comments taken from an online review of the box set.
Apollo Theatre, Oxford, England - March 18th, 1985:
William It Was Really Nothing,
Nowhere Fast,
What She Said,
Hand In Glove,
How Soon Is Now?,
Stretch Out And Wait,
That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore,
Shakespeare’s Sister,
The Headmaster Ritual,
Still ill,
Meat Is Murder,
Miserable Lie,
Barbarism Begins At Home,
You’ve Got Everything Now.
BBC
Reel Around The Fountain
This Charming Man,
Still ill,
Wonderful Woman
Source-Songs That Changed Your Life Boot (Silver CD)
The second disc contains most of the March 18th, 1985 soundboard recording from the Apollo Theatre in Oxford about a month after the release of their second LP Meat Is Murder. This concert was first broadcast on Janice Long’s programme on BBC radio the following May and is still broadcast now and then. The track sequence varies and three songs, ”I Want The One I Can’t Have”, “Rusholme Ruffians” and “Handsome Devil” have never been broadcast. Also “You’ve Got Everything Now” is taken from another, unspecified date.The sound quality is excellent stereo.
For the Oxford show The Smiths pull regular inclusions in the setlist such as “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now” and “Reel Around The Fountain” but include the rare ”You’ve Got Everything Now.” In set opener “William, It Was Really Nothing” he made a slight mistake when he sang “…and if you like you can buy the ring, I doesn’t care about anything”. Before “What She Said”, knowing that the concert was being recorded for posterity, he announced “I hope you take notes … this will all be relevant one day…” The most recent single “Shakespeare’s Sister” was introduced by Morrissey as “our new single, which is about the greatest woman that ever lived.”
Unfortunately Morrissey’s quip before the encores “Miserable Lie,” when he says ”This is being taped by the jolly BBC, so if anybody has anything clever to say, say it now and go down in history” is missing from the recording.
The BBC demos that close disc two include two from the 1983 Jensen session, “Reel Around The Fountain” and “Wonderful Woman.” The other two tracks, “Still ill” and “This Charming Man” originate from their appearance on ”The Tube” television show on BBC TV. All four tracks are in excellent sound quality.
[Profile] [PM]

pride4eagles

Longevity: 8 years 10 months

Post 09-Jan-2011 02:48 (after 7 months 25 days)

[Quote]

Thanks a million!
[Profile] [PM]

gius

Longevity: 10 years

Post 21-Jan-2012 07:25 (after 1 year)

[Quote]

thank you
[Profile] [PM]

hipsterdisco

Longevity: 6 years 9 months

Post 10-Jun-2014 16:02 (after 2 years 4 months)

[Quote]

Thank You blackbrick.
Would anyone with better ears than me confirm my suspicions that;
'Track 18' Wonderful Woman (Jensen) is an audio upgrade ?
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb

Longevity: 5 years 5 months

Post 10-Jun-2014 21:19 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

I got a bit overexcited thinking this was a new seed...
WW is a different source to Asleep, but there is not very much difference in quality, IMO. It's a little duller, has less hiss and a slightly wobbly feel. It's also slower. The Asleep version is too fast, this is too slow but slightly closer to the correct speed. So, it's swings and roundabouts. If you slow the Asleep version down by maybe 2.5 - 3 percent, then that is still probably the better version, by a whisker.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 11-Jun-2014 10:54 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

I have no idea why the BBC haven't rebroadcasted Wonderful Woman yet. When that happens I have a great BBC Sessions compilation ready for release.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AipsLP...&usp=sharing
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb

Post 15-Jun-2014 23:15 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

My educated guess is that BBC radio shows are nowadays often/generally required to only play stuff that's available digitally and they don't have the facility to request archive tapes. What's surprising to me is that they seem not to have digitized quite a lot of old radio sessions. You'd think it would be something they would have completed by now, given that they're such a major asset and so useful.
WW and IDOYA are both Kid Jensen sessions, which gives them a little bit less cache compared to Peel sessions and so they've been neglected. To me it seems crazy because anyone who was anyone in the early 80s was on the show. There's sessions by the likes of U2 and The Cure that you can only find on the internet as versions taped from the radio at the time, which I think suggests that Jensen sessions have generally not been digitised and rebroadcast.
Who knows what the hold-up is. Maybe one day they will get round to it, or maybe it requires a show with particular clout to demand a particular session so that it gets digitsed and made available for BBC shows generally.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 16-Jun-2014 10:23 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

I think you're probably correct. Does anyone have a good contact at the BBC who could find out whether they've archived that Jensen session? Someone who responds to tweets maybe?
[Profile] [PM]

fab eberhard

Longevity: 7 years 6 months

Post 16-Jun-2014 12:02 (after 1 hour 38 minutes)

[Quote]

is it really that surprising that the BBC haven't digitized much of their archives? wouldn't that be a massive undertaking? it seems possible as it is with many archives that the material has been shuffled destroyed mis-labled stolen etc... if what you seek is intact perhaps the best guess would be due to greed upon the parts of the "owners". waiting for the right moment to cash in...
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb

Post 16-Jun-2014 16:22 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

is it really that surprising that the BBC haven't digitized much of their archives? wouldn't that be a massive undertaking? it seems possible as it is with many archives that the material has been shuffled destroyed mis-labled stolen etc... if what you seek is intact perhaps the best guess would be due to greed upon the parts of the "owners". waiting for the right moment to cash in...
The thing is that BBC 6 Music makes a lot of use of archive tapes. Just looking at today's schedules, there is: "6 Music Live Hour", which has old sessions by Gene, Ikara Colt and The Miserable Rich; Gideon Coe with sessions by 808 State, Galaxie 500, Dawn Of The Replicants, Generation X, Fugazi and Sandie Shaw (hmm - wonder which session that will be...no, it couldn't possibly, could it?). So that's two solid hours of archive material. Then there's "Six Music Jukebox" which doesn't name any names but includes "exclusive BBC sessions". Which is a typical day. So, maybe a bit less than 10% of the station's output is archive material. Surely investment to expand the number of sessions available (basically paying someone to operate a tape machine) would be worth it? That's what I would have thought.
There's also two full concerts recorded in Glasgow in 1984 and 1985 that are just sitting there gathering dust.
A bit before the Hand In Glove anniversary last year, I emailed a producer at the BBC thinking they would probably be planning some celebratory programmes and I could give them some pointers as to where to look for the really rare stuff. I got a polite reply saying that they were indeed planning special programmes, but in the event we didn't get to hear anything new. Disappointing, but I think it's just because if it doesn't come up on their database, they're not allowed to play it.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 19-Jun-2014 08:35 (after 2 days 16 hours)

[Quote]

Hrm... I met a guy from the BBC at a party the other night. I'm going to see if I can get a good name out of him.
[Profile] [PM]

Cover Star

Longevity: 4 years 6 months

Post 22-Jun-2014 19:19 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Interesting conversation.
Last year, I actually emailed a couple of BBC 6 Music programmes which regularly broadcast entire archive sessions, suggesting in advance of the 30th Anniversary of those first four Smiths sessions that it would be fascinating to hear them all rebroadcast again on their respective original transmission dates.
Along with the 'Hand In Glove' single, they were my (and many fans) introduction to the band. After all, back in 1983 there was no internet etc. and the only way of "checking out" new bands and artistes was to listen to certain radio programmes or catch them live. I thought that it would really give a sense of history to those sessions and the contribution that the BBC had in the rise of The Smiths. I remember my own excitement at listening to those sessions at the time as in the space of around four months most of the songs from the live sets of the time were aired for the first time, along with newly written songs. FOUR Radio 1 sessions in four months! It was phenomenal then and still is now.
Sadly, I never even got a reply to my emails.
Very interesting points raised by 'fab everhard' and 'savbomb' regarding the digitisation of the BBC's archive recordings but considering that the BBC themselves had their major appeal project - The Listeners Archive - when they requested that listeners sent in their own recordings of shows etc. that the BBC no longer had ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio/posts/The-Listeners-Archive ), I would have thought that they would be keen to digitise what they did still possess as a priority. I suppose in the end, it's all down to time and money.
[Profile] [PM]

willisboy23

Longevity: 5 years 7 months

Post 29-Jul-2014 00:21 (after 1 month 6 days)

[Quote]

Wonderful human! Thank you for sharing!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Nov 07:33