Getting this site going

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 16-Feb-2006 13:37

[Quote]

About six people now know about this site. I think it would be a mistake to announce the site to everyone at once, as my meagre upload speed wouldn't be able to cope with the demand. My plan is to let you folks download so that you can seed along with me.
I want the site to be a one stop shop for unofficial Smiths recordings. I'd like this site to be the place that people go if they have a good recording that they wish to share and a site that people can go to to expand their collection. Much as I love sites such as DimeADozen, there aren't enough Smiths recordings get to a critical mass, plus I'd like to be a little less restrictive about what can be seeded.
As well as live shows as audio and video, I'd also like to track other things such as documentaries, outtakes, curiosities, original versions, interviews etc.
I'm far more interested in Smiths recordings, so most of my torrents will be Smiths shows, but I'm happy to track Morrissey recordings too.
So, I'd be interested to hear how you think the site could gain momentum. I need people who know how to start a seed, understand the importance of continuing to seed after completion and have other recordings to share. I'm also interested in people who have an unhealthy interest in the Smiths; who scour ebay for new recordings etc. That said, there's no door policy, but I'd like to find some active participants first, before opening the floodgates to the lurkers and leechers!
BatnaMMV suggested contacting the people with shows on etree.org. I hadn't seen that site before, but I'll see what I can work out. Any other ideas?
[Profile] [PM]

MorningGlory123

Post 23-Feb-2006 13:14 (after 6 days)

[Quote]

Much as I love sites such as DimeADozen, there aren't enough Smiths recordings get to a critical mass
Too true. I'll download and seed as much as possible :)
Im guessing you've already done this but just post this place on smiths/morrissey sites, hopefully attracting a few members which have huge collections.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 23-Feb-2006 13:44 (after 30 minutes)

[Quote]

I haven't posted about this site publically as I'm a little bit worried about offering up 30gigs of bootlegs to hundreds of people on a relatively narrow broadband connection. My plan was to gradually introduce more and more people to ensure there was always a good ratio of seeders to leechers, if that makes sense.
I have a much larger broadband connection at wiork which I can use if really necessary, but I'd rather just use my home connection.
Good to have you on board, MorningGlory.
[Profile] [PM]

angryelvis

Post 26-Feb-2006 19:23 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Thanks for the great site and the sweet How-To create a torrent you made. For the DVDs I have, what would be better to share: an iso that can be used to burn a DVD or the video & audio files that I used to create the iso?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 26-Feb-2006 19:32 (after 9 minutes)

[Quote]

Hi angryelvis and welcome :)
An ISO is fine. There's a part of me that would like the individual files so that people can pick bits that they want to download and make a new DVD, but too much can go wrong. An ISO is fine and very welcome!
[Profile] [PM]

angryelvis

Post 26-Feb-2006 19:48 (after 15 minutes)

[Quote]

are mpg & avi files welcome?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 26-Feb-2006 19:59 (after 11 minutes)

[Quote]

Yes. The more the merrier. I guess if they're really small though (<50MB), then I'll just host them on the site rather than creating a torrent out of them.
[Profile] [PM]

angryelvis

Post 26-Feb-2006 20:03 (after 3 minutes)

[Quote]

OK, I just posted a torrent for a 1985 show I have. Please give it a try so I can verify that I followed your steps properly. I'm using BitLord so there a few differences towards the end.
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88

Post 09-Mar-2006 04:06 (after 10 days)

[Quote]

First, great idea for a dedicated Smiths/Morrissey tracker. Cheers David!!
I stumbled upon the site via one of David's posts on PureLiveGigs....a torrent site that I don't really utilize much, but I just happened to be browsing around. As far as attracting more participants, I think the Digital Boots site is a pretty good resource.
http://www.digitalboots.net/
Also, I'd be more than happy to seed a couple shows, but my fear is that most everyone here will already have them, since 99% of them have come from STG/EZT/DaD. I'll put together a quick list in the near future and take some requests. OK?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 09-Mar-2006 08:08 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

I am in the same boat as Ivory88, I found the site via DavidA's post on PLG and all the boots I have are available on here.
I will however try and seed what I have downloaded to a 1-1 or better ratio.
There is also a problem with certain clients that use and abuse DHT. This allows other people outside to share a torrent they normally wouldn't be able to have. Clients such as BitLord and Azureus and older versions of uTorrent use this DHT and you should maybe think about banning them.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 09-Mar-2006 19:18 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

I posted that message on PLG. I deliberately didn't make a song and dance about it because I don't want to flood the board.
Although you might not have a lot of boots, it's great to have you around so that you can help seed. There are people with more bootlegs but don't know about seeding so I'm trying to get a mix of people. Don't worry too much about your ratio; it seems to be something that is built into this system rather than something I set up. I might see if I can change it.
Post whatever's not already up here, even if it originated from another torrent tracker.
[Profile] [PM]

gord

Post 14-Mar-2006 17:41 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

I think the Digital Boots site is a pretty good resource.
http://www.digitalboots.net/
I'm glad you think so!
I've added the site to the links directory.
gord
www.digitalboots.net - lossless live links
[Profile] [PM]

hbob999

Post 29-Mar-2006 05:40 (after 14 days)

[Quote]

I just discovered this site via the DigitalBoots link...brilliant! what a selection of Smiths! consider me thrilled. somebody please check my Moz torrent to make sure it's working. thanks so much for doing this!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 29-Mar-2006 19:15 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

Welcome hbob. Glad you like the site. Some of the torrents might not be available at the moment as my main computer is down, but I'll try and get them seeded on a fast connection in the next few days. I'll try out your Moz torrent at the same time; thanks for contributing!
[Profile] [PM]

Mozalini

Post 21-Apr-2006 20:48 (after 23 days)

[Quote]

Can I just say that I have only just heard about this site through another sites link page. It is fantastic that I can download such wonderful bootlegs, I no longer have to mingle through the stalls at record fairs finding a couple of bootlegs and having to pay ridiculous amounts of money for them. I'm sorry, I probably should know who set this site up but I don't, anyway who ever you are you have done a great job and produced a wonderful site. Cheers.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 26-Jun 12:09