Desperately Computer Illiterate

Reply to topic

NGNM85 ®

Longevity: 8 years 4 months

Post 10-Oct-2009 09:52

[Quote]

I am very competant in a number of areas; philosophy, politics, obscure alternative music, etc. However, when it comes to computers I can't do much more than surf or write papers. Heres' my dilemma:
I have a number of video files of Morrissey in various formats; one is "wmv", but the rest are "vob" files. What I want to do is burn these files so I can free up a lot of space on my computer, and, more importantly, watch them on my dvd player. When I use windows dvd burner (I have Vista, incidentally.) it just stops at 7% and goes no further, I tried just clicking "Burn" on the file cabinet, which copies the program to a disc, but it won't play in anything, except my computer, which is redundant. I have looked at a couple of FAQs. Amid the indecipherable techno-babble one seemed to be suggesting that the movies be changed into "mpg" files(?) in order to play on my dvd player. I know, I'm hopeless. Any advice?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Longevity: 11 years

Post 10-Oct-2009 10:48 (after 55 minutes)

[Quote]

First off you should use Nero, it's the biggest seller and for a good reason. Secondly all VOB files should reside within a folder on the disk entitled "VIDEO_TS" but don't use the quotes.
Is there any IFO files with the VOB, normally each starting VOB file has a corresponding IFO file.
Converting the VOB files to an MPEG file on your computer involves degrading the quality of the image. Converting the VOB to an AVI file doesn't degrade the picture as bad and you end up with a "technically" smaller file. However not all (under the television) DVD players will play AVI files
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 23-Aug 06:20