reissue repackage remoz

Reply to topic

ravenslament. ®

Longevity: 8 years 6 months

Post 22-Sep-2009 12:52

[Quote]

Reissue, revalue, repackage again for Morrissey
Article written by Paul M (taken from soundsxp website)
Sep 1, 2009.
Morrissey - You must have all these by now, surely?
Parlophone have bundled up all Morrissey's CD singles from 1988-95 in a collection titled "Morrissey : The HMV/Parlophone Singles 88-95" to be released on 12 October.
The track listing is basically the same as the two boxsets of individual CD singles re-released not all that long ago. The label also has a couple of boxsets of old 7s out around this time too. Presumably someone at Parlophone is struggling to make their sales figures...
The CD set includes:
Disc One:
1. Suedehead
2. I Know Very Well How I Got My Name
3. Hairdresser On Fire
4. Oh Well, I'll Never Learn
5. Everyday Is Like Sunday
6. Sister I'm A Poet
7. Disappointed
8. Will Never Marry
9. The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
10. Lucky Lisp
11. Michael's Bones
12. Interesting Drug
13. Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
14. Sweet And Tender Hooligan (live)
15. Oujia Board, Oujia Board
16. Yes, I Am Blind
17. East West
18. November Spawned A Monster
19. He Knows I'd Love To See Him
20. Girl Least Likely To
21. Piccadilly Palare
22. Get Off The Stage
23. At Amber
Disc Two:
1. Our Frank
2. Journalists Who Lie
3. Tony The Pony
4. Sing Your Life
5. That's Entertainment
6. The Loop
7. Pregnant For The Last Time
8. Skin Storm
9. Cosmic Dancer (live)
10. Disappointed (live)
11. My Love Life
12. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
13. There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends
14. We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
15. Suedehead (live)
16. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty (live)
17. Pregnant For The Last Time (live)
18. Alsation Cousin (live)
19. You're The One For Me, Fatty
20. Pashernate Love
21. There Speaks A True Friend
Disc Three:
1. Certain People I Know
2. Jack The Ripper
3. You've Had Her
4. The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get
5. Used To Be A Sweet Boy
6. I'd Love To
7. Hold On To Your Friends
8. Moonriver
9. Moonriver (extended)
10. Interlude
11. Interlude (extended)
12. Interlude (instrumental)
13. Boxers
14. Have-A-Go Merchant
15. Whatever Happens, I Love You
16. Sunny
17. Black-Eyed Susan
18. Swallow On My Neck
moz asks fans not to buy these reissues and that he has not received any royalties from emi/hmv/parlophone since 1992 . he also says that he had no consultation over the rhino smiths reissue and that he has not received any royalties from warners for around 10 years . (source truetoyou) . so has emi exhausted the beatles back catologue that they think they can rip off mozza's fans yet again or , what i think they are doing it for , to coincide with the release of swords . these record labels most have other things in their vaults , there must be unrealesed trax , live etc that could possibly make fans part with there recession hit hard earned cash , otherwise all the reash we already have . :cry: :roll: :(
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 24-Sep-2009 07:16 (after 1 day 18 hours)

[Quote]

It's been timed to coincide with "Swords".
I don't believe Moz when he says he's not received any royalties anyway, if he's legally entitled to them he'd get them and if he didn't he'd be the first to get onto his lawyers!
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 24-Sep-2009 07:45 (after 28 minutes)

[Quote]

i believe you could be right sweet fa , just because i don't think moz would let a record company own the physical/publishing rights to his work , especially after the smiths royality case !!!!!!!!!!
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 24-Sep-2009 14:12 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

In most cases, including Morrissey's, when a contract has expired between an artist and a record label, the label can still re-release the albums/singles/etc they own as much as they want without having to pay the artist again. It's in the contracts. However if they decide to repackage the stuff differently (Greatest Hits, etc), they need to pay the artist. So for example when Warner wants to re-release Meat Is Murder or The Queen Is Dead, they can do it as much as they want. But when they put together The Sound Of The Smiths, they had to pay the band.
So the new 7" box set and the 3-cd set are both considered the same as the cd-singles boxset which came out in 2000, only on different formats. They're even using the same artwork in a different colour. So EMI didn't have to pay Morrissey, as he's already been paid for them in 2000 when the cd-singles boxsets came out.
Well this is how it was explained to me by someone involved.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 24-Sep-2009 19:39 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Still get performer and writer royalties, i'd be amazed if that wasn't the case.
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 24-Sep-2009 21:21 (after 1 hour 42 minutes)

[Quote]

Still get performer and writer royalties, i'd be amazed if that wasn't the case.
Yes of course. I wasn't talking about royalties. That has to do with the publishers, not the record label.
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 24-Sep-2009 22:53 (after 1 hour 31 minute)

[Quote]

Yes of course. I wasn't talking about royalties. That has to do with the publishers, not the record label.
Stephane
Ah right, gotcha.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 25-Sep-2009 07:33 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

Stephane
Can't really see why an artist should be entitled to anything other than royalties for what is basically a rehashed compilation which has taken no extra effort from themselves to produce.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 26-Sep-2009 12:42 (after 1 day 5 hours)

[Quote]

agree sweet fa , thanx for the info pjlm , i should have known that really . i won't be buying the new rehash having paid the price for the original box sets . with all the rehashes of old material not just moz/the smiths and the probable inflated prices i think that the record companies have a cheek complaining about illegal downloads (!!!!) ;)
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 26-Sep-2009 14:36 (after 1 hour 53 minutes)

[Quote]

I have two disappointments with this compilation:
1. They should not have put all the stuff in that order. Who wants to listen to two versions of Moonriver and then three versions of Interlude in a row? Also, the live versions of "Pregnant For The Last Time" and "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty" follow not very far after their studio counterpart. I would have put all the A-sides on one disc, then split the B-sides over the other two discs in a way that there is never more than one version of each song on each disc.
2. Because this is going to be sold at the price of a single album, there won't be any reason for new fans to buy "Bona Drag" anymore. All the stuff on "Bona Drag" is found on the first disc of this compilation. And "Bona Drag" is such a nice little package.
cheers,
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 27-Sep-2009 08:01 (after 17 hours)

[Quote]

agreed , i personally find it irritating if a disc has more than one version of a song on the same disc . bona drag is a nice little package and far superior in my eyes .
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 23-Oct 06:08