Circulating Smiths shows (audio)

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

cliftdean74 ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 19-Aug-2009 13:03

[Quote]

***CONTINUING UPDATE*** thanks to Stephane, waterisnat, Steve, Robbo123 and bucsikriszta :D
Hello all:
I have cross referenced a list of known circulating Smiths shows that I found on the internet some years ago with all of the recordings that have been made available here on Smithstorrents (one of the BEST torrent sites going) Only 1 show out of 160 that is not seeded here from master or low gen. tapes.
If anyone owns or has access to any of these missing shows could you please help them see the light of day. Also, we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to Soundsville Steve for his efforts over the past few years for liberating his impressive Smiths archive. Not only for that but for sharing some stories that surrounded his recordings added a really nice and rare personal element. Kudos Steve.
A special thank you to Robbo123 and as always Steve for filling in some gaps!
The remaining missing show is in RED...
07/07/83 London, Rock Garden--Complete show
11/17/83 Westfield College, London, England 45m A- Aud
1/31/84 University of Sheffield, Sheffield, England 50m B+ Aud
02/16/84 Leicester, Univ. of Leicester--A Boy In the Bush source
3/13/84 Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England 65m A- Aud
12/01/84 Rock In Loft, Paris, France 65m A- Sdbd
DVD SEEDED HERE
5/18/85 Paseo De Camoens, Madrid, Spain 69m A Sdbd
DVD SEEDED HERE
6/17/85 Beacon Theater, New York, NY, USA 85m A- Aud
Recently Upped by Robbo123
2/11/86 Fairways Hotel, Dundalk, Ireland 80m B+ Aud
8/06/86 Pier 84, New York, NY, USA 85m A- Aud
Recently Upped by Steve and Robbo123
8/29/86 Open Air Theater, San Diego, CA, USA 70m B Aud
10/15/86 Civic Hall, Wolverhampton, England 85m A- Aud
DVD SEEDED HERE
10/21/86 Royal Center, Nottingham, England 80m A- Aud
DVD SEEDED HERE

Last edited by cliftdean74 on 2009-10-09 18:01; edited 12 times in total
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 19-Aug-2009 14:57 (after 1 hour 53 minutes)

[Quote]

Great job! I wanted to do this when Steve asked for suggestions, but instead I've been spending warm summer days outdoors...
Here are a few comments
6/03/83 Fighting Cocks, Birmingham, England 40m A Sdbd
This is from the Reel Around The Fountain bootleg, so it's quite common. It must have been seeded here already. Sorry, too lazy to check.
I have one transfer of this in FLAC, and a different one in MP3. I think Steve may have a better, lower generation, version of this.
I only have a remastered version of this show in FLAC. I'd be interested in the original because fan remastered shows always sound worse than the original.
2/24/84 Trinity Hall, Bristol, England 45m A- Sdbd
The soundboard version of this show is widely circulated in FLAC. Isn't it here? Or did I get this from Dimeadozen?
3/12/84 Hammersmith Palais, London, England 62m A+ Sdbd
This is The Last Of The English Roses bootleg, so it's quite common. I'd be surprised it hasn't been put up here.
3/13/84 Free Trade Hall, Manchester, England 65m A- Aud
The best of the two recordings out there is circulated in FLAC. Perhaps not from a low generation tape though. Might benefit from an improved version from Steve. The other recording I've only seen in MP3, but then it's an inferior one anyways. But then perhaps a lower generation copy might not sound so bad.
The only recording of this show that I'm aware of is the DVD audio. So if you have the DVD, you have it.
3/01/85 Brixton Academy, London, England 90m A Aud
I have this in FLAC, but I don't know if it's as good as it can get. Also, a soundboard recording is rumoured... that'd be nice.
As far as I know the only audio out there was lifted from various recordings of the television broadcast. If you have the great DVD that was put up here, I don't think it can get any better.
6/17/85 Beacon Theater, New York, NY, USA 85m A- Aud
This is definitely needed.
7/30/86 Centennial Hall, London, ON, Canada 80m A- Aud
It appears that the recordings under this date on the internet are actually from Toronto the following night. Steve has actually put up his version of this.
There are a few recordings/transfers of this show out there, and I would expect that Steve has something different/better than what we already have. Or at least the same in lossless format.
8/07/86 Pier 84, New York, NY, USA 85m A- Aud
As far as I know the Smiths didn't play on this date.
8/29/86 Open Air Theater, San Diego, CA, USA 70m B Aud
Defintitely needed.
10/15/86 Civic Hall, Wolverhampton, England 85m A- Aud
As far as I know, the only audio of this show on the internet was lifted from Steve's video recording. And the video is being seeded here.
10/21/86 Royal Center, Nottingham, England 80m A- AudSame as above.
thanks!
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

cliftdean74 ®

Post 19-Aug-2009 19:18 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Great reply Stephane. That was some much needed and appreciated information. And I should have mentioned all of your tremendous efforts in my original post as well. So kudos for all you do too! Your Smiths/Morrissey web-site is an amazing source of info!!!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 26-Aug-2009 21:16 (after 7 days)

[Quote]

Great job guys. Here are two of those shows.
Reel Around The Fountain bootleg
Last of the English Roses bootleg
I seeded both of those a long time ago, but I lost my original files.
[Profile] [PM]

robbo123

Post 28-Aug-2009 19:56 (after 1 day 22 hours)

[Quote]

I have most / if not all of these as low generation recordings. Stephane is right about the 8/07/86 NYC and 7/30/86 London shows not existing, and the 10/15/86 + 10/21/86 Notts being from Steve's video. But I will upload what I can!
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 28-Aug-2009 19:59 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

If I may chime in...
Great job! I wanted to do this when Steve asked for suggestions, but instead I've been spending warm summer days outdoors...
Here are a few comments
I have one transfer of this in FLAC, and a different one in MP3. I think Steve may have a better, lower generation, version of this.
I have a set of FLACs entitled "Incredibly Charming". Is this what you have got as well?
I only have a remastered version of this show in FLAC. I'd be interested in the original because fan remastered shows always sound worse than the original.
I have the original files along with the remastered ones, but really terrapin station's remaster was mainly fixing the speed (the original ran way too fast) & some gaps, so it's not some piss-poor re-EQ job.
2/24/84 Trinity Hall, Bristol, England 45m A- Sdbd
The soundboard version of this show is widely circulated in FLAC. Isn't it here? Or did I get this from Dimeadozen?
This goes back to the Fall of 2004, when DAD was still EZT. I recall fixing a couple of glitches in Girl Afraid at the time.
The only recording of this show that I'm aware of is the DVD audio. So if you have the DVD, you have it.
I don't quite follow you on this. Personally I would love to have a truly lossless audio transfer from a low-gen VHS recording, as opposed to the soundtrack of the circulating DVD. While its sound is pretty clean, when converted to wav it cuts off at 14 kHz when you look at the frequency analysis. Even by mp3 standards, that's rather poor.
3/01/85 Brixton Academy, London, England 90m A Aud
I have this in FLAC, but I don't know if it's as good as it can get. Also, a soundboard recording is rumoured... that'd be nice.
Steve has already taken care of this, seeding a lowgen recording of unknown lineage.
As far as I know the only audio out there was lifted from various recordings of the television broadcast. If you have the great DVD that was put up here, I don't think it can get any better.
Yes, it can, as there are countless minute gaps scattered across the soundtrack of this otherwise superb DVD. Ripping this soundtrack to wav does not yield the best possible audio recording.
[Profile] [PM]

bucsikriszta

Post 08-Sep-2009 14:58 (after 10 days)

[Quote]

I noticed two others that I believe are missing from the tracker:
1983-07-07 London, Rock Garden--Complete show
The incomplete show from the Wonderful Woman bootleg is being seeded here, but according to PJLM, that version is missing the first two songs, which circulate on another recording.
1984-02-16 Leicester, Univ. of Leicester--A Boy In the Bush source
An alternate version of the show is on the tracker with 10 tracks. The full show (11 tracks) has not to my knowledge been seeded here.
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 08-Sep-2009 22:40 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

1983-07-07 London, Rock Garden--Complete show
The incomplete show from the Wonderful Woman bootleg is being seeded here, but according to PJLM, that version is missing the first two songs, which circulate on another recording.
You are right. Ideally it would be nice to have the pro-shot video from which "Wonderful Woman" was lifted.
1984-02-16 Leicester, Univ. of Leicester--A Boy In the Bush source
An alternate version of the show is on the tracker with 10 tracks. The full show (11 tracks) has not to my knowledge been seeded here.
Right again. I have this on MP3, but not lossless.
Once we're done with this, we could start inproving on some recordings. I have a few recordings in MP3 that are of better quality than the FLACs that were put up here. This means there's room for improvement, the masters are still out there.
And then if we can get our hands on dates for which there are no recordings in circulation, that'd be nice. I do have people writing to me now and then claiming they have recordings of certain dates that have yet to be circulated, and we often end up arranging a trade, but most of the time these deals fall through. I suspect most of the time it's just people trying to make themselves interesting, I get a lot of that... But I'm sure there's still stuff out there that needs to come to the surface.
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

cliftdean74 ®

Post 11-Sep-2009 02:36 (after 2 days 3 hours)

[Quote]

I have updated the original list incorporating recently upped shows and the addition of two shows available only in incomplete forms on the tracker (thanks bucsikriszta.)
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 12-Sep-2009 17:22 (after 1 day 14 hours)

[Quote]

Actually both recordings of this concert that were put up here at the same time last week are new to common circulation and were not referenced on PJLM. So this still leaves two recordings for us to get in lossless format: the one usually credited as being soundboard (but is just an excellent audience), and the one usually found under the name "Money Changes Everything" (or Pier 84 in inferior quality). Both of these are currently circulated in MP3 format but not lossless.
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 28-Mar-2010 16:47 (after 6 months 15 days)

[Quote]

Where did we end up with this? Are there still recordings missing?
Here's my list.
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 06-May-2010 01:51 (after 1 month 8 days)

[Quote]

So I have finally reformatted my Smiths "bootlegs by date" pages to make them more convenient to collectors like us, and to reflect the current trend of collecting bootlegs in digital files instead of CDs, tapes, VHS, etc. The new format now lists all different known recordings, instead of only the best, or only the ones widely circulated. There is also more info available without having to click on the concert description. The format is not as user-friendly, it is now geared more at hardcore collectors than casual ones.
Have a look: click on [www] below to access my webpage, then click on 'Unofficial recordings', choose the smiths, then either 'audio by date' or 'video by date'.
I haven't done the Morrissey counterparts yet, so you can compare the old format vs the new. SUGGESTIONS and CORRECTIONS ARE WELCOME!
DavidA, I hope this should help you figure out more easily what's missing on Smithstorrents. Actually now collectors could print this page, check what they have, and figure out what's missing.
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 06-May-2010 06:54 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Stephane, that's great. It must have taken you a lot of time. As usual, very modestly presented!
I compared my collection against PJLM and have some notes which I'll send you. I'll do it again with your new format and give you comments and suggestions at the end.
One idea would be to provide MD5 files for each recording. It would be unambiguous and relatively simple. I suppose you'd need to consider whether people keep the original FLAC files or whether they're transferred to CD or MP3, in which case the MD5 would no longer be useful. I use Trader's Little Helper to check MD5, song lengths etc.
[Profile] [PM]

kestrelia

Longevity: 7 years 5 months

Post 06-May-2010 17:38 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

Short of providing a sample, I think the only way to really discern the source (of an audience recording) would be to identify some characteristic of it, such as just after "William, It Was Really Nothing" girl clearly yells, "I love you!"
The list looks good Stephane!
b
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 07-May-2010 22:42 (after 1 day 5 hours)

[Quote]

Here's a list of my recordings with song length. When I've got some time I'll compare my times to yours. Most seem similar, but not identical. How did you ascertain the length, Stephane?
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Oct 09:07