Leeching getting out of hand

Reply to topic

the Flea ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 19-Apr-2009 11:36

[Quote]

What does everyone feel about members who only take and either don't give back or hardly give back. Should we ignore it as in the past or should we adopt a more stringent approach. I've noticed lately that some new members are taking Gb's of music and only giving back Mb's. Also lots of members can't even be bothered to say thanks. Members who have been here for years and taken Gb's of music and not one single post :(
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 19-Apr-2009 14:25 (after 2 hours 48 minutes)

[Quote]

I do not feel very well, but you can make Smithstorrents in a private tracker or put more restrictions on the ratios!
It is only an idea!
Arturo
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea ®

Post 19-Apr-2009 15:11 (after 46 minutes)

[Quote]

It already is a private tracker
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 19-Apr-2009 16:06 (after 54 minutes)

[Quote]

It already is a private tracker
Sorry to say that maybe the user registraions could be closed for some time and come by invitation only!
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 19-Apr-2009 16:08 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

we should put in place a ratio barrier. some of the members need to put up (upload) or shut up.
i've also noticed A LOT of members downloading tens of gigabytes and uploading only meager megabytes.
these members know who they are, and will be the first to complain about a ratio barrier (if implemented). so it's really a win-win situation for all of the honest and thankful members here at smithstorrents.
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Longevity: 9 years 6 months

Post 19-Apr-2009 18:56 (after 2 hours 48 minutes)

[Quote]

I don't really feel badly about it. Nonetheless, I'm used to people leeching a lot and not caring about it, since I often seed at public trackers like TPB.
I wouldn't be really bothered about it, but I can see that people who actually upload new recordings to the site might feel bad, so if such a decision will make them feel better, then I'm all for it.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 19-Apr-2009 20:47 (after 1 hour 50 minutes)

[Quote]

All in favour with it to be honest. I've had a go lately at some people requesting seeders when they're not seeding anything themselves despite having downloaded several torrents. It's nothing personal to them i just think everyone should help with seeding what they have rather than a handful doing most of the uploading. I'd also love to know how there are often leechers who aren't registered with the site, can that be prevented? Several times utorrent has had more leechers than show up on here when i've seeded something.
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Longevity: 9 years 6 months

Post 20-Apr-2009 01:56 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

I'd also love to know how there are often leechers who aren't registered with the site, can that be prevented?
It's virtually impossible to download something from the site without having an account on the forum. Every torrent has a passkey coded in the tracker address. This passkey points to the appropriate user account on the forum. If there is no passkey, the client is not allowed to announce and therefore doesn't connect to any peers - ergo, the download doesn't start at all since there are no data sources.
Every torrent has also got a "private" flag. It means that the client mustn't use methods such as Peer Exchange and/or Distributed Hash Table ("trackerless") in order to gain peers for this torrent. This, however, can be overriden, since there are clients that disobey this flag. On the other hand, the odds that there would be a peer seeding/leeching a smithstorrents torrent and announcing itself to DHT or PEX, are very low.
Hope I explained this one quite well, it's almost 4am here and I'm stuck doing differential equations. Great fun, that!
[Profile] [PM]

modrevolve

Longevity: 10 years

Post 20-Apr-2009 18:44 (after 16 hours)

[Quote]

Personally I feel that everyone should be required to maintain a ration of at least 1. They should give as much as they get. or at least be limited on the number of dls due to a bad ratio.
When I first joined a few years ago I went a bit crazy and someone blocked me from dling one of his torrents due to my bad ratio. I now understand why he did that.
[Profile] [PM]

Dr Wolfenstein

Longevity: 10 years

Post 20-Apr-2009 20:36 (after 1 hour 52 minutes)

[Quote]

I agree on the ratio barrier thing, if your ratio drops below something like 0.60 then your unable to download anything till you have made your ratio back up by seeding
UPLOAD 629.68 GB / DLOAD 113.8 GB [ 5.53 ]
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 20-Apr-2009 21:16 (after 39 minutes)

[Quote]

I'd suggest after first 5 downloads must have ratio of 0.8 to continue downloading.
[Profile] [PM]

WaxlyMolding

Post 21-Apr-2009 00:54 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

It's impossible to expect everyone to have a ratio at 1 or above....someone will always need to be under 1 in order for anyone else to get there. I think .75 or so would be reasonable.
[Profile] [PM]

lavinia

Longevity: 9 years 5 months

Post 17-May-2009 09:23 (after 26 days)

[Quote]

hi everybody
I'm really sorry my ratio isn't good :(
i've downloaded just a dvd and my upload speed is horrible, I'd like to improve it but I think it's not possible, cause I'm behind a firewall.....
I swear to keep the file I've got on my computer as long as possible and seed it !
i've always did that on other trackers (DAD, PLG), my ratio is not so bad there, I ve been there since 2005 and I 've never just grabbed something and not giving it back
thanks for your kindness
love
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 17-May-2009 18:41 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

hi everybody
I'm really sorry my ratio isn't good :(
i've downloaded just a dvd and my upload speed is horrible, I'd like to improve it but I think it's not possible, cause I'm behind a firewall.....
I swear to keep the file I've got on my computer as long as possible and seed it !
i've always did that on other trackers (DAD, PLG), my ratio is not so bad there, I ve been there since 2005 and I 've never just grabbed something and not giving it back
thanks for your kindness
love
Don't worry about it!
We're only bothered about people who download lots of things and never allow others to download from them, people who have downloaded many many gigabytes and only uploaded a tiny amount in return.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 24-Nov 13:02