A question of genre.

Reply to topic

zacksfansite ®

Longevity: 9 years 3 months

Post 15-Oct-2008 10:40

[Quote]

I'm just curious would you consider The Smiths more of Indie / Indie-pop, College Rock, or just Alternative?
I like using the term College Rock the majority when I address the Smiths genre.
More for the fact that it is considered what would form "alternative" music rather than if it was played on College radio.
But Indie does seem to be the more appropriate term.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 15-Oct-2008 15:23 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

80s Alternative Rock as far as i'm concerned.
I like Indie too, and they were on an Indie label but after the Smiths that term came to represent the late 80s-early 90s Baggy/Madchester movement or the mid-90s Britpop stuff, which is very different.
If we have to have little pigeonholes then the pigeonhole The Smiths should be in is the same as REM were at the time, Alternative Rock.
I think the 80s bit is important.
College Rock isn't used as a genre in the UK, so i'll ignore that if i may!
[Profile] [PM]

zacksfansite ®

Post 15-Oct-2008 17:57 (after 2 hours 33 minutes)

[Quote]

I usually depend on one website for genres, allmusic.com
They explain them in a way that makes all these genres that just stack up to confusing heights seem a little less complicated.
(Too many pigeonholes!)
And from my understanding College Rock was suppose to be one of the genre that paived the way for alternative.
But I simply like the way it sounds, it's got a classy ring to it.
For a person that hasn't been in College yet, it gives a superior feeling for some reason when said.
Haha.
I agree.
Alternative does seem to be a better fit.
Yeah they did have a big part in the "revival of the britpop" in the 90s but when i think britpop only the first LP comes to mind for me.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 15-Oct-2008 18:35 (after 38 minutes)

[Quote]

I always concidered them Indie. 1 because they were on an independent label and 2 because they were independent in their style, nothing they did was like anything popular at the time.
I always thought Alternative music was music that went against the grain and The Smiths music certainly wasn't/isn't against the grain. Most post-punk music was Alternative. It was too soft to be called punk, yet too edgy to be called pop.
Just my thought on the subject ;)
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 15-Oct-2008 22:07 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

They explain them in a way that makes all these genres that just stack up to confusing heights seem a little less complicated.
(Too many pigeonholes!)
And from my understanding College Rock was suppose to be one of the genre that paived the way for alternative.
For a person that hasn't been in College yet, it gives a superior feeling for some reason when said.
Haha.
I agree.
Yeah they did have a big part in the "revival of the britpop" in the 90s but when i think britpop only the first LP comes to mind for me.
Totally disagree with that. Not at all Britpop. Britpop was Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Elastica, possibly Suede.
Some of those bands may have been influenced by The Smiths but that doesn't make Smiths Britpop.
The first LP is just a classic timeless rock album, could have been made at any time between the 60s and now.
[Profile] [PM]

zacksfansite ®

Post 16-Oct-2008 19:53 (after 21 hour)

[Quote]

(Too many pigeonholes!)
Haha.
I agree.
Totally disagree with that. Not at all Britpop. Britpop was Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Elastica, possibly Suede.
Some of those bands may have been influenced by The Smiths but that doesn't make Smiths Britpop.
The first LP is just a classic timeless rock album, could have been made at any time between the 60s and now.
Sorry.
I suppose I meant to say something more along the lines of the British guitar-pop.
I was mistakenly using Britpop in a more universal way.
I'm an ignorant fool, my friend.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 16-Oct-2008 21:51 (after 1 hour 58 minutes)

[Quote]

Sorry.
I suppose I meant to say something more along the lines of the British guitar-pop.
I was mistakenly using Britpop in a more universal way.
I'm an ignorant fool, my friend.
British guitar-pop is about right, the 80s equivalent to the Beatles in terms of influence & quality and quantity of songs produced, if not with the same level of commercial success.
80s alternative rock/pop for me though.
[Profile] [PM]

MickDude

Post 19-Oct-2008 13:30 (after 2 days 15 hours)

[Quote]

The Smiths are English and were born as an English Indie band.
They are an Indie bad.
You could probably use the word "Alternative" somewhere, but the word "College" has no place anywhere near The Smiths.
Ask Morrissey, he'll tel ya'
MickDude
[Profile] [PM]

zacksfansite ®

Post 20-Oct-2008 01:44 (after 12 hours)

[Quote]

They are an Indie bad.
You could probably use the word "Alternative" somewhere, but the word "College" has no place anywhere near The Smiths.
MickDude
Not that I believe you but any particular videos or interviews where he comments on "College Rock".
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 20-Oct-2008 06:03 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

They are an Indie bad.
MickDude
Not that I believe you but any particular videos or interviews where he comments on "College Rock".
College Rock i believe derives from being played on College Radio in the US.
There is no College Radio in the UK so the term is redundant.
[Profile] [PM]

MickDude

Post 20-Oct-2008 21:41 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

zacksfansite wrote: Not that I believe you but any particular videos or interviews where he comments on "College Rock".
My point exactly.. he doesn't.
SweetFA wrote: College Rock i believe derives from being played on College Radio in the US.
There is no College Radio in the UK so the term is redundant.
This is true and therefore does not apply to The English Smiths.
MickDude
[Profile] [PM]

zacksfansite ®

Post 20-Oct-2008 22:19 (after 37 minutes)

[Quote]

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
:(
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Oct 15:54