Burning DVD discs with ImgBurn

Reply to topic

XAVeRY ®

Longevity: 9 years 3 months

Post 10-Sep-2008 15:34

[Quote]

In this guide I'd like to describe how to burn files downloaded from this site onto DVD discs with the program called ImgBurn.
There is surely a lot of alternatives when it comes to burning DVDs under Windows, but I feel that ImgBurn is the best choice, since it gives the user a lot of possibilities concerning the burning process and the disc structure. On top of all that, it's entirely free to use.
Now, in all "Video" sections on this site, you can find two types of video files/folders : images of DVD-Video discs and raw DVD-Video disc structures. Burning both of these is possible, but differs significantly. An image of a disc is a bit-to-bit copy of the disc itself. It's just like you put a disc under a xerox machine and produced a copy of it. It contains all the necessary structures and filesystem descriptors already, so the end user's involvement into burning is practically minimal.
Raw DVD-Video disc structures differ a bit. They can be recognized by having a VIDEO_TS folder in which files like VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01_1.VOB, VIDEO_TS.VOB reside. In this case, filesystem descriptors must be created by the burning application.
You can download ImgBurn at the official download site.
Chapter A : image of a disc
Run ImgBurn. It will show a window like this one :

Choose the option highlighted on the screenshot, and the next thing you should be seeing is this :

This is the main window of ImgBurn in image burning mode. Disc details are displayed in the box on the right - you can find some valuable information there. Upon clicking the icon highlighted on the screenshot, you will be presented with a file browser.

Select your image file and double-click it. ImgBurn supports lots of image formats and it would be definitely hard to find one that it wouldn't be able to open, unless it's really obscure and not so widely used. Having selected the image file, you will be returned to the main ImgBurn window, except that now the left part of it will be filled with information about the image itself.

The two last things you have to do is to select the burn speed (as you can see, I chose 12x) and click on the big green arrow in order to start the actual burning process. The ImgBurn window will change once more so that you are able to monitor the progress of the burning.
Chapter B : raw DVD-Video structure
This case you may consider to be a little bit more tricky, but once you get the point, it's very simple. Upon starting ImgBurn, when you are presented the mode choose screen, it is needed that you select a different mode :

After that, the main ImgBurn window will appear, but will again look different than previously.

Upon clicking the icon highlighted on the screenshot, you will be presented with a folder browser :

The important part is to select the folder containing the VIDEO_TS folder, not the VIDEO_TS folder itself! Otherwise, the disc may be (and probably will be) not readable in the end - and we don't want that. Also, if the folder you select (Morrissey o2 Wireless Festival, in this case) doesn't contain an AUDIO_TS folder in it, you need to go to the selected folder manually (through Explorer) and create it yourself. The lack of an AUDIO_TS folder might cause problems with some older hardware.
Having selected our source folder, we need to change some things concerning the filesystem on the disc.

Navigate to the tab shown on the screenshot and change the options according to it. We select UDF Revision as 1.02 because it grants the best compatibility (at the sacrifice of other features provided by newer UDF versions, but they are absolutely redundant when it comes to DVD-Video discs). This way, we have a filesystem compliant with the DVD-Video standards. The two last things we have to do is set a label for our disc :

It doesn't really matter what the disc's label is, but it needs to have one. Avoid using special, language-specific characters. After writing the label in the "UDF" field, click the icon next to it to copy it to the ISO9660 filesystem. You're also welcome to fill the other fields, but they're not really needed for anything.
And that's it! You may also want to stop by the Device tab in order to select the burn speed. After that, you've just got to click the big green arrow and watch the disc burn. If you get a question asking you if the selected folder represents the root of the disc, answer yes. After 5 or 10 minutes, depending on the selected speed, you should have a disc playable in all DVD-Video compliant players.
Chapter C : troubleshooting
1. The disc is not readable in my player!
That's too bad. This can be to a number of factors - you're either using low-quality media, or you're burning at a too high speed. The DVD readers used by the standalone DVD players contain much weaker error correction algorithms than the DVD burners used by PCs. That's why the burned disc may be just readable without any problems on the drive that burned it, but trying to play it on a standalone DVD players ends in a "NO DISC" (or similar) message. Try using higher quality media (Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Sony, TDK) or burning them at a lower speed (I hardly ever burn at 16x, mostly 12x or 8x).
2. ImgBurn isn't able to start the burning process!
I'm very sorry for you. Try turning off two options - Perform OPC Before Write and DVD+R Reserve Track which appear in Tools-->Settings-->Write. These options may help your burner with achieving higher burn quality, but also tend to cause problems with some of them. If that doesn't work, I have no clue how to fix it. My own Lite-ON SOHW-1693S doesn't want to burn any DVDs anymore, so you may just have a dead burner.
written by XAVeRY for smithstorrents
[Profile] [PM]

sweetness522

Longevity: 9 years

Post 10-Sep-2008 20:47 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Just what I needed. Thank you! ImgBurn is certainly not user friendly upon first looking at it. I fiddled with it for hours, to no avail. Thank you so much for the link to your guide. It will come in handy, as I am about to study it right now. Very Happy!
EDIT: Okay, just finished your instructions on how to use ImgBurn and I got stuck. I click on the little folder to select my file (under the "Source" heading), then double click on my "Downloads" folder because that is where it is located, then double click on the Torrent file (eg. "Live in Dallas"), click on Open, and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong at this point? Also, how do I know which burn speed to select from the drop-down list?
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY ®

Longevity: 9 years 3 months

Post 10-Sep-2008 21:25 (after 37 minutes)

[Quote]

The TORRENT file itself is not a image file, it's just what you use to start the download. Navigate to the directory where you downloaded the torrent, and the image/directory structure should be there.
[Profile] [PM]

sweetness522

Longevity: 9 years

Post 10-Sep-2008 21:27 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

The TORRENT file itself is not a image file, it's just what you use to start the download. Navigate to the directory where you downloaded the torrent, and the image/directory structure should be there.
Sorry, I don't follow you there. :(
[Profile] [PM]

DearlyDemented

Longevity: 7 years 8 months

Post 04-Jan-2010 04:05 (after 1 year 3 months)

[Quote]

The images are down, and the instructions sort of rely on the pictures...
I may be able to use this guide anyway, ill give it a try.
Thank you for writing this, by the way.
:D
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 23-Aug 06:09