The ultimate TV compilations reissues

Reply to topic

pjlm ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 23-May-2008 16:23

[Quote]

I've been thinking lately that it would be nice to redo the DVD compilations of television material for the Smiths and Morrissey. We could add whatever has surfaced since the last compilations were done, or improve what we have with better versions. I would also like to see those compilations 'flow' better ie not have the same song repeated twice or three times in a row because it was played on consecutive tv appearances. Also we have the technology now to make those compilations look real nice, with beautiful menus, etc.
For example, for the Smiths, I would not split the tv performances in 83-84 then 85-87 like Steve did with his excellent compilations. Both DVDs would cover the whole span of the Smiths' career. This way we could make sure we don't have to listen to "What Difference Does It Make?" twice in a row, and four times in one hour. Similarly, I love those 2004 and 2006 compilations of Morrissey material, but there's just so many times I can hear "First Of The Gang To Die" in one hour, however much I like the song.
I would also exclude all material lifted from "The Complete Picture", "Hulmerist", "The Malady Lingers On" and "Oye Esteban". But I'd be okay with stuff from official various artists DVDs such as the tracks found on various Jools Holland compilations. Actually on the subject of promo videos, compilations of whatever's missing on the above Smiths or Morrissey releases could also be done. I have most missing videos in perfect quality from official promos sent to media: the alternate "Panic", "Shoplifters Of The World Unite", "Sheila Take A Bow", "Girlfriend In A Coma", etc. I also have good versions of lots of other videos taped from tv, such as an alternate "This Charming Man", the live Ask and the full unedited "How Soon Is Now?". If anyone has stuff I'm missing in good quality, such as "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish", or "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" with that same footage, I'm sure that collectively we could put together something very good. Similarly for Morrissey I have "Our Frank" from the Japanese compilation and the videos from 2004 to today. If anyone has rarer material like the original "Suedehead" to supply, that would be great. I don't know whatever if we should include the videos from the deluxe "You Are The Quarry" DVD.
Returning to the TV compilations: I would keep the short interview bits on the Smiths compilations, but not on the Morrissey ones. Partly because there's already not that much Smiths material, while there is a lot of Morrissey tv performances, but also because we have those tv promo appearances for the Smiths such as the game shows, visit to Kew Gardens, kids programmes, etc. These are neither music nor interviews per se. Morrissey never did that sort of stuff in his solo career. I would only feature short interviews on the Morrissey compilations if he answered just a few questions before or between performances, such as 1995's Jools Holland appearance for example.
I would not include lengthy specials such as the South Bank Show, I think these can stand alone quite well. As for live footage *from concerts*, I would put these together on different DVDs. It would be nice to compile all the partial concerts bits like the 3-song ABC in Concert from 1991, with "November Spawned A Monster" from the Coachella DVD, Glastonbury 2004, "Let Me Kiss You" in Norway 2004, the three song from Eurockeennes 2006, the 2 from the V Festival 2006, etc. Although I'm thinking this project would be secondary, I'm guessing most of us already have these as bonus material on DVDs of full length concerts.
It would also be nice to make compilations of tv interview bits from the Morrissey solo years. There's quite a lot of that floating around and it would be nice to package it all together. And in this case we can do it by periods because there would not be any repeating of songs, it's just interviews.
Now that's the type of thing I like doing myself. I often make my own audio compilations like putting all the Smiths non-album tracks on one cd, or all the Morrissey b-sides over a few cds, or making my own "Meat Is Murder" companion or "Vauxhall & I" companion. But I'm already spending a good deal of my spare time right now working on the webpage, and I know we have some excellent DVD compilation makers out there. Also by throwing this out like this I'm hoping that we could all pitch in what we have and make these compilations the best and most comprehensive possible.
I am willing to put together the track listings, I love doing that.As for the manual work it would be nice to have someone with video editing experience who understands what they're doing and won't resample the footage too much, to preserve the best quality possible (picture and audio). I am aware that because some of this will come from NTSC sources and some from PAL sources some conversion will need to be done, but I trust that someone with experience will now how to limit damage. I know I wouldn't know how. It would also be nice to be able to create a nice menu and not use those ugly generic Nero menus and such. And then someone could create the artwork. I've seen incredible artwork out there, I think we could get something really nice for this.
So what do you think?
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 23-May-2008 19:47 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

I think this would be a great idea!
If I can help in any way please let me know! :)
[Profile] [PM]

cro_morrissey

Post 24-May-2008 08:09 (after 12 hours)

[Quote]

same from me...great idea and i'll help....
:)
[Profile] [PM]

Faema

Post 27-May-2008 08:28 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

This project sounds brilliant! "The Smiths on TV vol. I" etc...
So, we need to determine where the best looking/sounding material can be found. Hopefully people will also clear out their closets for new unseen footage and better versions.
The two existing dvds of tv appearances would be a good starting point to compare from. Some material is offered here on smithstorrents in different torrents from alternate sources. For instance, the "Handsome devils" torrent has a better version of the 1985 Studio One interview and the complete version of Vicar in a tutu (the beginning is cut on the 85-87 disc).
To make the compilations a bit updateable, perhaps a good idea would be to have all individual footage as separate VOB-files. This way the videos could be easily replaced in case better quality versions should surface. Is this possible?
[Profile] [PM]

modrevolve

Longevity: 10 years

Post 27-May-2008 17:12 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

This sounds like an awesome idea. I have a TV compilation dvd of Morrissey solo stuff from the 1990s in NTSC format that I'd be willing to mail a copy of to whoever is putting this together.
It includes
Request Video - 1991
ABC In Concert - 1991
The Tonight show - 1991
Amnesty International 30th Anniversary Special
Hangin with MTV 1992
The Tonight Show - 1992
Saturday Night Live - 1992
TOTP - Roy's Keen only - 1997
Craig Kilborn - Interview and both performances - 2002
[Profile] [PM]

Faema

Post 01-Dec-2008 08:22 (after 6 months 3 days)

[Quote]

Anything happening with this project?
[Profile] [PM]

monkey

Longevity: 9 years

Post 04-Dec-2008 13:06 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

I'm sure Stephane's collection is about as good as it gets. Probably a matter of getting it to someone who can complile it along with good quality menus.
Taking of your great collection do you have the Gothenburg 97 DVD for upload? :mrgreen:
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm ®

Post 04-Dec-2008 23:55 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

I sorta lost interest in this momentarily because I'm busy on other stuff, at work, with record labels, and with "Passions Just Like Mine".
If anyone else wants to do it, they're welcome. The basic idea I liked was to exclude officially compiled material, and try as much as possible not to have the same song appear twice, or at least not twice in a row. We could do themed compilations, such as all the TOTP stuff on one DVD, all the Jools Holland on one DVD. Then the rest, if it makes sense. All the uncompiled official videos on one DVD.
My collection isn't much more exhaustive than those of most of us here. I have the same TV stuff as everyone. The only material I think I could contribute are the uncompiled official videos which I have on VHS, transfered to DVD. They never went through TV so they are complete and there's no network id on them.
I like Faema's idea of working with separate VOB files. We could then redo or update compilations if better versions came up. Or when Morrissey does new promo for his upcoming album(s).
I'd be good with working with the track listings, but we would need someone good with DVD editing. It'd be nice not to resample what we already have. Everytime we do we lose a bit of quality. We also have great graphic designers here that could submit artwork.
I also have this fancy idea of interspersing the material on some collection with excerpts of films that Morrissey loves, from which stills became artwork, or from which sound samples were taken ("don't leave us in the dark", "they say he's mental", that sort of stuff). And keep it relevant, like having an excerpt of Orphée before a "This Charming Man" video.
When I first wrote about this back in May I was very enthusiastic and thought we could put together the compilations that would make all others obsolete. I must say I was disappointed with the lukewarm enthusiasm, but now that I'm busy, I see interest is growing.
Should I work on suggestions for track listings? Or can anyone come up with suggestions?
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

Faema

Post 08-Dec-2008 21:24 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

The dvd's covering the Smiths should be the definitive document of the their television history. For that reason I'd include all officially released material as well. Personally, I'd also prefer it in chronological order to see/hear their development over time. Now of course chronological would mean multiple repetition of songs, but hey, there's always the Next button on your remote. :-)
On the menu, I would also include a link to a "Wanted" page to get the viewers attention to material that hasn't surfaced yet. This could be a simple page listing missing videos and a plea for people to "share if you have it, please".
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Nov 07:40