Go to page :   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

doubled77

Longevity: 6 years 11 months

Post 13-Dec-2011 12:34

[Quote]

Salut Philippe,
First, Welcome to the board!
Any chance you know the answer to my question here on that post?
http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3319
I thought I would ask since you're an engineer...
Danny
[Profile] [PM]

delcloque

Longevity: 5 years 11 months

Post 13-Dec-2011 13:26 (after 52 minutes)

[Quote]

Hi,
As I said in my previous message, this is the Decibelle demo for sure as there was only one. Beyond that, I cannot confirm song titles as I was never told and didn't check that on the tape, I therefore cannot say for sure that the demo contained Suffer Little Children or any other song, all I can say is that it was the first four songs that The Smiths recorded and, as far as I knew, it was the full line up of Marr, Morrissey, Joyce and Rourke (I may be wrong about the line up that's all).
Sorry I can't help more. I wish now I had been more involved! The guy who could definitely give us the song titles unless he has a very bad memory is Dale Hibbert alias Goldman as he engineered the tracks and may even have played on one or two of them.
Atb,
Philippe
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Longevity: 11 years

Post 13-Dec-2011 13:47 (after 21 minute)

[Quote]

Salut Philippe,
You keep saying that they recorded four songs, but the official story from various other sources is that it was only two songs: "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" and "Suffer Little Children". Although they were rehearsing "I Want A Boy For My Birthday" and "Don't Blow Your Own Horn" at the time, I believe those two songs may not have been recorded at Decibelle.
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

delcloque

Post 13-Dec-2011 14:01 (after 13 minutes)

[Quote]

Bonjour, Stéphane,
You may be right, I had always imagined it would be 4 songs (like most other bans) but I have no proof of that.
I guess I should read the Smiths' biography but I'm going through Steve Jobs at the moment!
Philippe
[Profile] [PM]

delcloque

Post 13-Dec-2011 14:01 (after 33 seconds)

[Quote]

I meant bands not bans! :-)
P
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 13-Dec-2011 22:12 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

Good point Stephane. Pretty sure that it was just those two songs. One take. Hadn't even heard about "Don't Blow Your Own Horn", or am I just forgetting it?
I think the lineup was Morrissey, Marr, Hibbert, Wolstencroft at that time.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 24-Jan-2012 19:41 (after 1 month 10 days)

[Quote]

Here's some notes on the Decibelle demo, from Record Collector.

And here's some notes on the Drone demo that followed.

I'm really tempted to try and buy that Decibelle demo...
Has anyone got the 1996 issue of Record Collector that's mentioned here?
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 24-Jan-2012 22:42 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

wow ... these would be an excellent find . could these be the smiths holy grail ?
[Profile] [PM]

egosheep

Longevity: 10 years

Post 25-Jan-2012 12:37 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

David, do you know someone who has a copy of that demo for sale? It would be awesome to make it happen, what about taking a collection among members? I would be in for some money.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 25-Jan-2012 19:18 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

I was talking to the owner a year or so ago. I would buy it in a second for £5K, but I think they were looking for six figures. I did ping them again recently but didn't hear back.
I don't think Dale would have made a copy as it was in a bad state when it was sold and only re-conditioned by the new owner.
[Profile] [PM]

Disorder

Longevity: 6 years 6 months

Post 25-Jan-2012 20:00 (after 42 minutes)

[Quote]

I was talking to the owner a year or so ago. I would buy it in a second for £5K, but I think they were looking for six figures. I did ping them again recently but didn't hear back.
I don't think Dale would have made a copy as it was in a bad state when it was sold and only re-conditioned by the new owner.
First and foremost, you have a fantastic site here David. You have done a lot for the fans with this site. Thank you.
Back To the matter at hand: is it me, or does 6 figures seems way to sleep of a price for two songs? I understand the historical value of the songs, and I would love to hear them, but flogging it for that price is just mind boggling. I feel as thou 5 grand is to steep as well.
Sadly hording has caused this kind of thing. I understand someone sharing a rare recording with the stipulation that it is not to be shared or uploaded to the internet; and I respect that. I really do. I have been given very rare material (unreleased) and respected the wishes of the person who shared with me. Material I’m still sitting on. But at the same time, it’s music. It’s needs to be heard. What good is it to sit on all this rare material that you can’t share, can’t talk about, and only listen to in private. Some people hold on to these kinds of rarities like they have a piece of the bands soul. Music is something that should be enjoyed by the fans; especially music that gives the die-hard fan an insight into the development of the band or the songs. Again it’s just music, and doesn’t need to locked away in a closet somewhere.
I feel for the fans who will never hear this material, and would kill to. Nobody wins with music hording.
Just a thought.
[Profile] [PM]

doubled77

Longevity: 6 years 11 months

Post 25-Jan-2012 20:15 (after 15 minutes)

[Quote]

+1
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 25-Jan-2012 20:22 (after 6 minutes)

[Quote]

I hear you. It's a debate that comes up from time to time. Collectors see value in the rarities they've bought and the majority of that value disappears when a digital reproduction ends up in the public domain. I wonder how much you could sell Morrissey at the Hollywood Bowl for now? Artwork retains some value because people covet the original, which is less the case with an eight track tape.
For what it's worth, the seller was friendly and reasonable. They'd like to see it see the light of day somehow. As I say though, I haven't spoken to them in a while.
It makes you glad that Soundsville Steve took a different attitude, right?
[Profile] [PM]

Disorder

Longevity: 6 years 6 months

Post 25-Jan-2012 22:06 (after 1 hour 44 minutes)

[Quote]

It makes you glad that Soundsville Steve took a different attitude, right?
Yes!
[Profile] [PM]

egosheep

Longevity: 10 years

Post 26-Jan-2012 04:49 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

I'm also hoping for another bootleg release of those Smiths demo's. They were taken from that CD that Warner's was shopping around, which had more material on it IIRC. I'm still shocked that that hasn't been leaked as FLAC's by someone who has come across it.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 22-Nov 12:40