Suffer little children 1982 Decibel demo

Go to page :  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Faema ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 12-Apr-2008 20:52

[Quote]

In case anybody (like myself) missed this link on the morrissey-solo forum last summer...
http://rapidshare.com/files/39513827/Suffer_Little_Children_Demo.mp3
... seems to be the famous Decibel demo of Suffer little children, albeit an edited version. Enjoy it, if you haven't before.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 13-Apr-2008 12:05 (after 15 hours)

[Quote]

Nice, much appreciated. Was it the full lineup when this was recorded?
[Profile] [PM]

Faema ®

Post 13-Apr-2008 17:27 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

If this really is the Decibel demo from august 1982, then it was Johnny on both guitar and bass with Simon Wolstencroft on drums. Dale Hibbert played bass on the second track from the session; The hand that rocks the cradle. The highly recommended Songs that saved your life by Simon Goddard also states that the demo of Suffer little children was over seven minutes long. If this indeed is that very demo, it's a fade-out version.
Here's the thread from where the link was lifted: http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=75016&highlight=decibel
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 13-Apr-2008 20:41 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks that's what i was thinking it was, i remember reading about The Hand That Rocks and Suffer Little Children being the first two tracks they recorded and i thought it was before Rourke and Joyce joined.
Amazes me that anyone in that thread could think it doesn't sound like Morrissey!
As they say it'd be nice to have the full version as well as The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, i suspect whoever the source of the track was will have since been warned not to release anything else or else!
[Profile] [PM]

guidedbyvoices

Longevity: 8 years 9 months

Post 04-Feb-2009 13:03 (after 9 months 20 days)

[Quote]

nice, this link still works, never knew this existed!
thanks!
[Profile] [PM]

delcloque

Longevity: 5 years 11 months

Post 11-Dec-2011 20:06 (after 2 years 10 months)

[Quote]

Hi, my name is Philippe Delcloque, I am the owner of Decibelle Studios (note the correct spelling of Decibelle to differentiate it from Decibel Studios, London) where The Smiths recorded their first demo. I only heard the demo at the mixing stage so cannot shed light on who recorded what but I am surprised that Andy Rourke didn't record the bass because Andy was Johnny Marr's partner on bass well before the creation of the Smiths.
In my recollection, the first demo included 4 tracks, you will know the tracks better than me because I wasn't a Smiths fan although I thought Johnny was an exceptional guitarist! In fact, Johnny asked me if I'd like to manage the Smiths and I turned him down, silly me! I'm still hoping they will reform so I can manage them some 30 years later! :-)
All the best,
Philippe
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 11-Dec-2011 20:30 (after 23 minutes)

[Quote]

another early christmas present excellent and thanks . love the rawness
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 12-Dec-2011 08:25 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

Welcome Phillipe. What a great claim to fame.
Pretty sure it was Dale Hibbert on bass. I have the full story in Simon Goddard's book, which I don't have to hand.
Lack of management was the main reason The Smiths split up, in my opinion. Perhaps if you'd helped out then they'd still be together now. Although I doubt it.
I don't suppose you have any of those old tapes?
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament.

Longevity: 8 years 7 months

Post 12-Dec-2011 09:26 (after 1 hour 1 minute)

[Quote]

old tapes now that would be interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Profile] [PM]

delcloque

Post 12-Dec-2011 14:37 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Dale Hibbert definitely played bass for the Smiths at the beginning, he was very keen to join the band full-time but Andy Rourke was a much better bassist and a good friend of Johnny's. Dale Hibbert was also a trainee recording engineer with me and because of his friendship with the band, he recorded their demo so he kept the tapes including the master tape which he tried to sell later on.
Yes, if I had managed the band, they might have lasted a few years more. Now, I think there is no prospect of them re-forming.
Bye for now,
Philippe
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 12-Dec-2011 20:46 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

the master tape which he tried to sell later on
Tried and succeeded!
[Profile] [PM]

delcloque

Post 12-Dec-2011 20:57 (after 11 minutes)

[Quote]

Not surprising!
Philippe
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 12-Dec-2011 21:02 (after 4 minutes)

[Quote]

So Philippe, when we talk about those Decibel Demos from 1982, should I really be saying the Decibelle demos? I wonder if Goddard has that correctly. I'm pretty sure he has it as Decibel.
[Profile] [PM]

delcloque

Post 12-Dec-2011 22:07 (after 1 hour 5 minutes)

[Quote]

Yes, the name of the studios was Decibelle spelt in a feminine French way! Of course, the bands used to call it Decibel Studios and would never write it down anyway. All they knew is that the owner was French.
The band that preceded the Smiths was called two names, there were in fact 2 bands, the Rhythm Method and Freak Party. Marr and Rourke were the guitarist and bassist in both bands, they were my second rehearsal customers in early 1982 after I opened the studios. I'm not sure Goddard picked up any of these facts!
Atb,
Philippe
[Profile] [PM]

Faema ®

Post 13-Dec-2011 12:12 (after 14 hours)

[Quote]

Philippe, can you confirm that this recording is actually part of the Decibelle demo set? I remember some people argued that this is not the "Decibel" demo of Suffer little children.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 22-Nov 03:47