Is It Really So Strange?
Cemetry Gates
This Night Has Opened My Eyes
Still Ill
Panic
/The Queen Is Dead
//William, It Was Really Nothing
//Hand In Glove
well this is the next logical show, so I thought I'd put up this recording. As I filmed the show, I didn't have an audio recoding. Luckily I managed to pick up this the following weekend from 'Big Al'. He had turned up in early 84 and was clearly into it for the money. By 1986 he had a number of bootleg stalls around Camden and Portobello, and employed quite a few people. His stalls were larger, had more of the mainstream groups, and his tapes were more expensive (actually quite a good marketing move). Ultimately he was a bit of a gangster, and was resposible for the big raids of 1987, when most of the overt bootleg stall disappeared. Anyway ... despite all this, we were actually firends of a sort. He never gave us any trouble and was happy to let us trade for some of his masters ... probably beacuse we provided quite a few ourselves. He didn't actually record all the shows ... like his stalls, he hired other poeple to help. He was particularly pleased with this one, although I'm pretty sure he didn't actually record it. From the description on Passions I suspect this is the source for the 'Someone waved Goodbye' bootleg. It has the complete intro song anyway. Apparently it was recorded right down the front almost on top of the stacks, which is the best place to be, as long as you can prevent any 'brickwalling'. The way the academy is laid out, if you're right by the stacks and are content to not get a great view, you'll get loud sound and not many people around you, which can give a soundboard type recording (i.e. the audience will sound distant and quiet). Another of Al's marketing ideas was to mark some tapes as 'Mixing Desk Quality' ... which effectively meant 'I think its as good as a desk tape, but, of course, people would just assume that it was actually from the desk. Here's the cover of the tape

I think this is why people think there is a mixing desk version out there somewhere ... well there obviously is because a recording of 'Some Girls' from the desk is available. But I'm not convinced it's complete. Grant did record alot of the shows, but he tended to bung in a casette and forget about it, so there are alot of 45 minute recordings somewhere.
Anyway ... I've never heard 'Somebody Waved Goodbye', so I'd be interested to hear whether this is it. Hope you like it
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Longevity: 11 years

Post 05-Oct-2007 18:36 (after 8 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks.
[Profile] [PM]

strangeways

Post 05-Oct-2007 18:37 (after 48 seconds)

[Quote]

of course we like it, thanks steve
[Profile] [PM]

robbo123

Post 05-Oct-2007 19:00 (after 23 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks for this Steve! Good to know the background for this "mixing desk" recording. Funny enough about Grant, he's doing the same thing on the Billy Bragg tours...he'll start the MD but forget all about it. To the point, the official "live at the Barbican" CDs are missing a song due to his error. BB was NOT happy about it!
[Profile] [PM]

cadm

Post 05-Oct-2007 19:21 (after 20 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks steve!
Do you plan to mix this audio with the video of the gig ?
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 05-Oct-2007 19:26 (after 4 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks a lot, Steve... it's been a great trek and here we are, at the last UK live performance!
[Profile] [PM]

deus

Post 05-Oct-2007 19:59 (after 33 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks Steve ... I guess the video is coming next... right?
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 05-Oct-2007 20:05 (after 5 minutes)

[Quote]

the end of the road it seems. its been a blast Steve!
you are a true hero!! many many thanks!!
[Profile] [PM]

quietnski

Post 05-Oct-2007 20:17 (after 11 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks, Steve !!!
[Profile] [PM]

cramulho

Post 05-Oct-2007 20:29 (after 12 minutes)

[Quote]

is this the master?
thank you!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 05-Oct-2007 21:00 (after 31 minute)

[Quote]

Thanks for another wonderful recording and thanks for taking the trouble to scan the sleeve.
The sleeve notes of my Stop Me Japanese CD single with Some Girls (Brixton 12/12/86) says it was recorded by Grant Showbiz.
On a sadder note, does this mean the end of our regular weekly instalments? I think people stopped seeding new Smiths torrents because you brought along so many 1st gen masters. I guess people will have to start filling some of the gaps.
[Profile] [PM]

MacPhisto247

Post 06-Oct-2007 00:56 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

If this is "the end" of your weekly seeds, I would like to extend a great big thanks for all the shows you've put here. It is something of a rarity for a taper to be this generous, but that's just me.
Considering the brilliant and detailed stories behind each recording, you've got my vote for "taper of the year"
(BTW, I WILL GLADLY DRINK A CORONA OR TWO, IN YOUR HONOR) CHEERS! 8)
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 06-Oct-2007 01:52 (after 55 minutes)

[Quote]

Thank you very much Steve for all that you've shared - knew eventually that this moment would come, but didn't think it would actually arrive. Thanks again...
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 06-Oct-2007 07:52 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

It's true that I don't have any more Smiths masters to share with you ... although there's still a couple of videos to come on weeks when I have the bandwidth.
I thought I'd continue on with my Morrissey masters ... no so many obviously, but recorded with better equipment.
Then, as I have quite a lot of 1st and 2nd gen recordings, I thought I might start putting those up. I've always assumed that better versions of everything but my masters must already be out there, but from some of the comments I've seen here, it would appear that many of these recordings are only available from high generation tapes. The majority of those tapes have never been transferred to digital before
What do you think?
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 06-Oct-2007 08:02 (after 9 minutes)

[Quote]

Wow the Final Gig is here, thanks for another great recording.
If this is the end, thank you so much Steve for putting all your master tapes on the site. We are all in debt to your generosity and your weekly stories made for fascinating reading. Cheers!!
If you are willing to upload some of your 1st/2nd gen recordings, that would be a great idea. A lot of the recordings I've come across are probably not the lowest gen and that is reflected in the sound quality.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 13-Dec 20:38