There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Ask
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
The Draize Train
Guildhall, Preston - 27 October 1986
The Queen Is Dead
I thought I'd put the 2 shows that stopped short together. The first one is Paul's recording and I wasn't there. The second one is mine.
After the excitement of the London shows, it was back up North for a 3 show trip culminating in a home tome gig. So Monday morning we set off on the long drive to Preston, arriving in the early afternoon. By the time we'd sorted out a place to stay and got something to eat, it was too late for the soundchecks ... so we didn't get to the venue until after the doors had opened. The concert was taking place in a large rectangular room with the stage on the long side. I don't remember a balcony, but I may be wrong ... but the room felt quite enclosed. It was absolutely packed by the time the band came on. I had got myself a position on the left hand side by the speaker stacks .., with almost a sideways view of the stage. The orientation of the hall make it feel like the crowd were right on top of the stage. The show started much as usual, and although the crowd were responding well, he hall was too packed to allow much movement. It was all over so quickly that it's hard to picture exactly what happened. I was just getting the recording levels sorted, moving into the best position and getting used to the view I had ... when Morrissey goes down. I thought I saw something hitting him, but it was so quick. Next thing he's helped off and the band are playing out the song. Then they too leave the stage. Everyone is stunned. No-one's quite got into the show yet, so it feels like a false start, rather than a show cut short. Fans are chatting and asking about what happened. There's rumours going round that Morrissey's been hit by a coin. Eventually Grant comes out and says he's been checked over by a doctor ... and then a little while later that the show is cancelled. Everyone slowly shuffles out of the venue, congregating in the street outside and talking. There's no violence as there was in Newport ... probably because the show never really started.
Next day we come back to the venue to see what we can find out. Specifically we want to know whether it's worth going down to Wales for the next show. Grant says it will be cancelled and the next show will be Manchester, which they think will go ahead. They think Morrissey was hit by the drum stick that Johnny throws out to the crowd after the intro being thrown back. So in the end we just go back to London. Quite a long trip for a few minutes music.
Again this was recorded using my Sony Professional Walkman with Sony Mic onto Metal tape
[Profile] [PM]

Stubs

Longevity: 10 years

Post 07-Sep-2007 18:25 (after 18 minutes)

[Quote]

Hi Steve,
after Stephane's "The Longuest Day" now "The Shortest Day" ...
Ok ... it was just a few minutes music ... but you saw THE SMITHS live ... :D
That's something that never happenend in my life ... :cry:
Greetings & Thanks
Stubs
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Longevity: 11 years

Post 07-Sep-2007 18:42 (after 17 minutes)

[Quote]

At the time of this recording I lived less than a dozen miles from the Guildhall. I was soon to live within 3 miles of the Guildhall but never managed to see any bands at the venue. I'm glad I didn't waste all that petrol going over there to see the show :P
Thanks for the up, much appreciated as always :)
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 07-Sep-2007 19:43 (after 1 hour 1 minute)

[Quote]

Thanks, Steve!

Last edited by fki on 2007-09-08 20:51; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 07-Sep-2007 20:47 (after 1 hour 3 minutes)

[Quote]

This is the kind of thing that would never see the light of day officially, so eternal gratitude for preserving and sharing, Steve... as if you didn't know.
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 07-Sep-2007 21:11 (after 24 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks a lot!
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 07-Sep-2007 21:47 (after 35 minutes)

[Quote]

thank you!!
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 07-Sep-2007 21:52 (after 5 minutes)

[Quote]

Se agradece el gran trabajo de haberlos grabado y compartirlos desinteresadamente con todos , gracias como siempre Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 07-Sep-2007 22:16 (after 23 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks Steve :)
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 08-Sep-2007 05:35 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

thanks steve!
[Profile] [PM]

cheesestraws

Longevity: 10 years

Post 08-Sep-2007 06:33 (after 57 minutes)

[Quote]

Nice one Steve, cheers.
Steve (a different one)
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 10-Sep-2007 13:42 (after 2 days 7 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve. I always wanted to hear the Preston show as it is my hometown, pity it didn't last very long!
[Profile] [PM]

mrawlings3

Longevity: 8 years 6 months

Post 27-May-2009 11:05 (after 1 year 8 months)

[Quote]

cheers steve.being there was great,but listening to it again is fantastic.a very big thanku.
[Profile] [PM]

juttkeys

Longevity: 8 years 4 months

Post 23-Jul-2009 03:00 (after 1 month 26 days)

[Quote]

Many many thanks. I was at the Preston gig and have been searching and wondering for years whether someone had recorded the few minutes of it !! This is fantastic, boy this is gonna take me back! Hope it downloads ok Thank you for posting
[Profile] [PM]

Broekhoest

Longevity: 7 years 5 months

Post 05-Jul-2010 19:13 (after 11 months 13 days)

[Quote]

Thanks for these rare ones!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 24-Nov 13:03