the "Louder Than Bombs - Off the Record" tab book from 1993

Reply to topic

egosheep ®

Longevity: 10 years

Post 05-Sep-2007 05:39

[Quote]

this is driving me nuts... does anyone here have this book?
I'm hoping someone has this... its a 335 page book from 1993. It's said to have some of the most obsessively accurate smiths transcriptions available. If anyone has it, and could take the time to scan it, i would be grateful. It's long out of print, and it needs scanning... badly. If anyone has it, i would be willing to help finance getting it scanned.
it would be a great boon to the smiths community to get this distributed around.
Thanks for any help!
[Profile] [PM]

Bodah

Longevity: 10 years

Post 06-Sep-2007 00:59 (after 19 hours)

[Quote]

Could this be it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Louder-Than-Bombs-THE-SMITHS-1s...Z1QQcmdZViewItem
It doesn't fit the description so well but I figured I might as well point it out.
[Profile] [PM]

taco

Longevity: 11 years

Post 08-Sep-2007 02:18 (after 2 days 1 hour)

[Quote]

I don't think the book included tab, but just the chords and piano parts.
[Profile] [PM]

adventureboy

Post 08-Sep-2007 13:55 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

I remember that book. In fact I think it was published earlier than 93 as I remember seeing it and kicking myself years later that I didn't buy it. That said, I never flicked through the pages to see what it was like, so I can't vouch for its accuracy, although I know it was all tab with the basslines included. I bought The Smiths, The Singles Collection last year and that was badly tabbed and inaccurate - a complete waste of money. I've given up on tab now as virtually every tab, internet or otherwise is always, always wrong and you will never get even close to what Johnny's doing. Considering it's taken me years to work out Johnny's stuff like girl afraid, this charming man, william etc, I'd say that the book you refer to could possibly also be tabbed wrongly. the best thing to do is study live footage of Johnny which is what i've done the last few months.
[Profile] [PM]

taco

Post 08-Sep-2007 19:31 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

AdventureBoy - I too have the Smiths collection book and that does not contain any tab info, but just the chords and I Ithought they did a pretty good job.
[Profile] [PM]

Sictransitgloriamundi

Post 10-Sep-2007 08:02 (after 1 day 12 hours)

[Quote]

Some claim the LTB's book to be the most accurate one out there, but of course it is in standard music notation. There is also another book called "Play Guitar With The Smiths" that comes with a tab book and CD for you to play along with, and it is without a doubt the most accurate effort I have seen in all. The CD itself is worthy of any Karaoke interests. They truly put in an effort to tab the songs in their entirety, and the renditions sound wonderful.
In reality, there are many amazing tabs out there, especially the guitar pro, and power tab contributions. Peter Weldon also did some very good tabs that have fallen by the wayside.
Sadly, unless you're Johnny Marr, then there will be some discrepancies. It's not so much accurately tabbing the basic chords for rhythm guitar, it's the fact that so many overdubs were used on the albums, making any %100 accurate tab rather difficult to come by. I've managed to collect most of The Smiths song books, and while there are some atrocious efforts within many of them, they're certainly good for filling in the gaps, and piecing songs together. Some transcribers will hear things that others didn't, so in my opinion, the effort is worth it.
For a single guitar, your best bet is watching the videos you've downloaded from here, and downloading the Guitar Pro and Powertab versions. I think people give up way too quickly on the existing Smiths tabs, when there are some very god attempts in existence.
Peter Weldon's chord sequence for Please, Please, and his This Night Has Opened My Eyes tabs were as accurate as I've heard. If I was more astute at writing tabs, then I would certainly contribute.
Finally, try Youtube for some demonstrations of Smiths songs on guitar. It's become a valuable tabbing resources. Al of these avenues should eventually allow you to play most of the songs.
Maybe I need to compress my collection of Smiths and Moz tabs and upload them for everyone.
Would that be allowed on here?
[Profile] [PM]

taco

Post 10-Sep-2007 18:08 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

That would be a nice upload.
[Profile] [PM]

robbo123

Post 12-Sep-2007 15:46 (after 1 day 21 hour)

[Quote]

I have the Off the Record LTB book somewhere at home. It's pretty amazingly detailed, with tab (or std notation I can't remember for sure) for every instrument including a bunch of guitar tracks. While it's pretty good, I put it away b/c as a single guitarist it doesn't really capture the songs (unless you can overdub yourself!). I can probably scan a few select songs but I don't have the time to do the whole book.
The Play Guitar w/ the Smiths book is excellent, and the tab is pretty good. Unfortunately it's fairly limited...just the greatest hits. My preferred book is the Complete Smiths chord book done by the same people. It has all the songs the Smtihs recorded. Some are easy chords, but a lot are more complicated fingerings. Everythings in the correct key and you can get a good version from doing apreggios off the chords. If I lost my music books, this is the one I'd buy first!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Oct 09:06