I Want The One I Can't Have
Vicar In A Tutu
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Ask
Rusholme Ruffians
Shakespeare's Sister
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
Is It Really So Strange?
Cemetry Gates
London
Meat Is Murder
I Know It's Over
/The Draize Train
/How Soon Is Now?
//Still Ill
//Bigmouth Strikes Again
Got a bit of extra bandwidth this week, so thought I'd put up another video.
We always bought our tickets for the London shows, and if I wanted to video at the all seater Palladium it was vital to get a good seat. So we went down to the Palladium box office on the morning the tickets went on sale. For some reason, hardly anyone else was down there and we were pretty much first in the queue. Many Rock venues in London at the time, didn't have box offices and you had to get tickets from agencies, so I guess people never bothered to check. Anyway ... a lot of the tickets had already gone to the agencies (a lot of the stalls tickets had gone), but we got front row tickets in the balcony, just left of centre. Absolutely ideal seats for filming. The Palladium is quite a small theatre, and the balcony is actually quite close to the stage ... and left hand side, gives the perfect angle for getting both Morrissey and Johnny in shot.
On the night we got there in plenty of time. The street outside the Palladium is partly pedestrianised and was full of people milling around before they went in. We bumped into loads of people we knew outside. Gregory from the very wonderful 1000 violins was there, as were the boys from Salvation Sunday (another great band that never made it big), so we stopped to chat with them. It seemed the street was full of people who played in bands. Although we didn't see him, Iggy Pop was there ... which was a big thing for Johnny, and if you listen between the songs you can hear him playing the odd Stooges riff.
Anyway ... after the smoozing, it was time to get the camera past security. I had it in the usual bag slug over my shoulder, and arming myself with my out of date 'Access All Areas' and my ticket, I filed in to the foyer. The Palladium were using their own staff to check tickets, so he shouldn't notice that the pass was an old one. The guy checked my ticket and pointed at my bag. I quickly flashed the pass and smiled ... and he waved me through. Great, up we went to take our seats.
The seats were excellent. It almost felt like we were hanging over the stage. It felt very intimate. When the band came on, everyone immediately stood up ... well, everyone except me. I got my camera out, rested it on the barrier in front and settled down to film, the people standing all around me providing an excellent barrier to shield me from security's prying eyes. As the 'Queen is Dead' swelled into action, the crowd started to bounce, and the whole balcony was moving. So much so that I had to take the camera off the barrier to stop the picture jumping. Luckily things eased up after the first song and I had something to steady the camera on again.
This has always been my favourite film. People always seem to prefer the Wolverhampton film, but I think this one has a more intimate feeling. It's also shot from slightly closer, and the lighting is better than a lot of the other ones. It may not have the energy of Wolverhampton, but I think the performance is more powerful.
The audio from the film is pretty good (for a video). I do have a very good audio recording of the show, which I got direct from the taper, but it's only the first hour of the concert ... missing the encores. I tried to get in touch with him to see if I could get the missing portion, but with no success.
So I've dubbed on what I have. I then download the recording from this site, but I wasn't very impressed with it. It's nowhere near as good as the recording I used for the first part. Also the encore bit is quite cut up and missing chunks, and it's obviously a few generations down because the timing is all over the place. I tried dubbing it on over the encore ... but in the end I decided that the original video audio sounded better, so I've left that on.
This was filmed on a Canovision 8VM-E1.
[Profile] [PM]

Angelic

Longevity: 10 years

Post 17-Aug-2007 18:44 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

Looks great! Thanks so much steve!
As always I'll be sure to seed until at least 2.0 to take the load off your bandwidth :D

Last edited by Angelic on 2007-08-17 18:51; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Longevity: 11 years

Post 17-Aug-2007 18:47 (after 2 minutes)

[Quote]

Gracias como siempre Steve por las magnificas grabaciones de los viernes! Muchas gracias
Thanks as always Steve for magnificent recordings of on Fridays! Thanks a lot

Last edited by anovella on 2007-08-17 21:41; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 17-Aug-2007 20:14 (after 1 hour 27 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks very much for another amazing video!
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 17-Aug-2007 21:18 (after 1 hour 3 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks so much!
[Profile] [PM]

bonadrag

Post 17-Aug-2007 21:24 (after 5 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks a lot steve !! this look great !
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 17-Aug-2007 23:09 (after 1 hour 45 minutes)

[Quote]

thank you very much Steve!
stories like this create such an energetic atmosphere while listening to your recordings for the first time. I thank you again for sharing them!
[Profile] [PM]

matti

Post 18-Aug-2007 00:21 (after 1 hour 11 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks again!

Last edited by matti on 2007-08-19 07:37; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 18-Aug-2007 03:33 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

WooooW .. WOW
This is huge Steve !..
Once again.. many thanks for sharing 8)
arkil
[Profile] [PM]

superb0lly

Post 18-Aug-2007 18:13 (after 14 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you so much for transferring all your old tapes, especially the videos!
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 19-Aug-2007 22:29 (after 1 day 4 hours)

[Quote]

Great surprise, Steve! Been out for the weekend, and upon returning was expecting to find/looking forward to your Cornwall recording, but this is cooler! I've had this video on VHS for many years (with green-lettered artwork - anybody interested in a scan?) and it IS a great show. Many, many thanks for yet another video master tape!!
[Profile] [PM]

insatiableone

Post 20-Aug-2007 09:01 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you so much, Steve ! Much better quality than my old xth generation VHS !
[Profile] [PM]

boy_affraid

Post 20-Aug-2007 10:58 (after 1 hour 57 minutes)

[Quote]

Thank you very much for this one.
[Profile] [PM]

cramulho

Post 20-Aug-2007 13:41 (after 2 hours 42 minutes)

[Quote]

Many thanks for sharing! :D
[Profile] [PM]

gummomarx

Post 20-Aug-2007 16:39 (after 2 hours 58 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks again Steve. You're the best.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Aug 09:01