Panic
I Want The One I Can't Have
Vicar In A Tutu
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Ask
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
Is It Really So Strange?
Never Had No One Ever
Cemetry Gates
London
Meat Is Murder
I Know It's Over
/The Draize Train
/How Soon Is Now?
//Still Ill
//Bigmouth Strikes Again
After Carlisle we drove across to the other coast, so stay with Paul's sister in Newcastle, and the next day took a day trip down to Middlesbrough for the concert. It's a bit of a bleak city, The drive down from Newcastle is through coal mining country which was in the middle of being decimated by the Thatcher government. Paul is from a mining family, and we stopped off in a little mining village called Seaham to drop in on his Gran. Then Middlesborough itself is set against a backdrop of Industrial smoke and factories. The town hall is an old building. Inside it's a pretty standard hall style set-up, all standing downstairs, with a Balcony with seats. I don't remember this shop being particularly spectacular. As Johnny has said ... I don't think the Smiths ever played a bad show, but the crowd didn't really explode like they had done in some other places. This meant that it was relatively easy to pick a good spot to record where I wouldn't get too much aggravation, and as a result I came away with a pretty good recording.
At the weekend I was back in London doing our market stall ... which was always fun when we had tapes of the recent Smiths shows from out of town. Quite a few musicians used to come down to Camden to look for bootlegs. We had a policy of letting them have what they wanted for free if we had bootlegs of their band. I remember that weekend Dave Stewart came up specifically looking for this show. Said he was a big fan (and obviously his then wife was), and was looking forward to seeing them when they played in London.
Again this was recorded using my Sony Professional Walkman with Sony Mic onto Metal tape
[Profile] [PM]

Angelic

Longevity: 11 years

Post 10-Aug-2007 18:27 (after 7 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks, I've been looking forward to this all morning :)
I'm going to sleep now, but I'll have a listen when I get up
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 10-Aug-2007 18:29 (after 1 minute)

[Quote]

Seems like another good un, Steve! Cheers!
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 10-Aug-2007 19:05 (after 36 minutes)

[Quote]

Bajando y esperando con ansias poder escucharlo, gracias como siempre Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 10-Aug-2007 19:55 (after 49 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

cliftdean74

Post 10-Aug-2007 20:17 (after 21 minute)

[Quote]

Hi Steve,
I don't know if this had been asked / answered at any point but about how many Smiths shows are in your collection (that you or Paul recorded?) Just curious. Real high quality stuff, I can only echo what everyone else has already been saying, Thanks a million!!!
-cliftdean
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 10-Aug-2007 20:56 (after 39 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks again Steve!!
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 10-Aug-2007 21:27 (after 30 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks!
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 11-Aug-2007 00:55 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Fridays are always special - thanks mate!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 11-Aug-2007 23:52 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

Who was Dave Stewart's wife at the time?
[Profile] [PM]

ozymandias

Longevity: 10 years

Post 12-Aug-2007 08:39 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

Dave Stewart was single in 1986, but in 1987 he married Siobhan Fahey (of Bananarama, bet they don't get many mentions on this site!)
And thanks for the upload!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 12-Aug-2007 18:08 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Okay, so new question: why would Sibhan Fahey of Bananarama be obviously looking forward to seeing The Smiths?
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 13-Aug-2007 10:22 (after 16 hours)

[Quote]

Oops ... I'm obviously not quite up on the exact dates of Dave Stewart's nuptuals. But both he and Siobahn were big fans of the Smiths. The Eurythmics did a cover of 'Last night' ... and Siobahn left Bananarama to form Shakespeare's Sister, which she named after some song or other.
how many Smiths shows are in your collection (that you or Paul recorded?)
Never actually counted before ... but a rough count seems to be about 55 shows we recorded. Between the 2 of us we went to every UK smiths show from 85 onwards (except Portsmouth 85 and I can't think why we missed that one ... oh and the Newcastle Red Wedge, beacuse we didn't know it was happening), the majority of which we both went to and recorded. It was a fun couple of years.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 13-Aug-2007 20:18 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Oops ... I'm obviously not quite up on the exact dates of Dave Stewart's nuptuals. But both he and Siobahn were big fans of the Smiths. The Eurythmics did a cover of 'Last night' ... and Siobahn left Bananarama to form Shakespeare's Sister, which she named after some song or other.
Never actually counted before ... but a rough count seems to be about 55 shows we recorded. Between the 2 of us we went to every UK smiths show from 85 onwards (except Portsmouth 85 and I can't think why we missed that one ... oh and the Newcastle Red Wedge, beacuse we didn't know it was happening), the majority of which we both went to and recorded. It was a fun couple of years.
Have you got a top class recording of their last show at Brixton in December 1986 then Steve?
It'd be fantastic to have a DVD with some top class audio like you did with the Salford Uni gig :D
[Profile] [PM]

plainsong

Post 13-Aug-2007 21:17 (after 59 minutes)

[Quote]

Have you got a top class recording of their last show at Brixton in December 1986 then Steve?
It'd be fantastic to have a DVD with some top class audio like you did with the Salford Uni gig :D
http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=400&start=45 :wink:
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 13-Dec 14:53