These Things Take Time: The Story Of The Smiths (2002 Granada ITV1) [DVD PAL (w/NTSC "patch" instructions)]

Go to page :  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

lonkny ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 06-Jun-2006 00:52

[Quote]

The Smiths
These Things Take Time
(Granada TV production for ITV 1, UK)
To change format to NTSC using "Patch Method" (works great for me!): http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221928 - you will need the free download IFOEdit which you can get at videohelp.com as well.
Following on from my previous seed, here's another documentary on The Smiths. This one is from 2002 and was originally broadcast in a limited area only. It's by no means a perfect programme: it only lasts 49 minutes, it spends too much time on the 1996 court case (while so much more could and should have been said on the 1982-1987 era) and - most annoyingly - there are no new interviews with Morrissey or Marr, but instead soundbites from old interviews accompanied by animated cartoon images (no, really...).
However, before you click away in haste, the programme does have its merits, too. Aside from interviews with one of Morrissey's old teachers, original Smiths bass player Dalle Hibbert, Mike Joyce & Andy Rourke, Craig Gannon, soundman Grant Showbiz, Sandie Shaw, a few writers of books on the band, and John Peel, there is also unique backstage home movie footage from 1984 and almost 20 seconds of the previously unheard, very first demo recording of Suffer Little Children (woo-hoo!).
To boot, this is an excellent recording (it's in PAL) for which I have created a menu and chapters. Enjoy!
Some additional information:
from Passions Just Like Mine:
8 November 2002: These Things Take Time (UK, ITV1)
Special feature about the story of the Smiths, with previously unseen performance and behind-the-scenes footage. Includes interview with Mike Joyce, Andy Rourke, Sandie Shaw, John Peel and many others.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainmen...uth_recluse.html
Saturday, 10th August 2002
Search for the Big Mouth recluse
by nick webster
A TEAM from Granada TV has started on a quest for the holy grail of music - an interview with reclusive Smiths' frontman Stephen Morrissey.
Morrissey is notorious for avoiding the media but David Nolan, producing the documentary These Things Take Time: The Story Of The Smiths, hopes he will make a remarkable exception.
"Morrissey has not given an interview for 10 years and as part of the programme we are filming the process of tracking people down," said David, who also produced I Swear I Was There, which marked the 25th anniversary of the infamous Sex Pistols gig at the lesser Free Trade Hall.
Advertisement your story continues below
He said: "This year is the 20th anniversary of Morrissey meeting the guitarist Johnny Marr and the formation of the Smiths. They met in the spring and the Smiths had been formed by the autumn.
"It is a very tortuous story but Johnny Marr played in a variety of bands including one featuring Coronation Street's Kevin Kennedy.
"And Morrissey knocked round with punk bands Slaughter and the Dogs and Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds - both Wythenshawe bands.
"They literally met in a bedroom and reeled off Suffer Little Children there and then which is a classic Smiths song.
"Morrissey had all the lyrics and Marr did the music."
The band's influence was massive and the makers of the one hour programme, due to be broadcast on November 8, are also hoping to make contact with Smiths fans with stories to tell.
David Nolan can be contacted at Granada Television on: 0161 827 2298.
© Copyright 2006 Manchester Evening News.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
http://www.music-dash.co.uk/news/archivenews.asp?item=129
These Things Take Time: The Story of The Smiths
By JA 07 November 2002
THESE THINGS TAKE TIME: THE STORY OF THE SMITHS
For the first time the story of legendary group The Smiths is to be brought to life on screen.
Timed to coincide with the 20th anniversary of the Manchester band’s first live performance, These Things Take Time: The Story of The Smiths will be broadcast on Granada on Friday November 8 at 11.35pm.
Including rare footage of performances and interviews, plus behind-the-scenes film of the band on tour during their mid-80s prime – which has never been shown on television before – the one-hour documentary gives viewers a revealing insight into the group that was recently voted the most influential of all time by the NME.
It also sees Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce receiving the ultimate accolade – the cartoon treatment.
A series of animated sequences depicting various key moments and memorable scenes in the band's history are included in the documentary. These include the first meeting of Morrissey and Marr, backstage scenes during the period when the singer’s pre-gig requirements included a tree of a specified height otherwise he would refuse to perform, and the infamous court case when the song-writing partnership of Morrissey and Marr was sued by drummer Mike Joyce.
After a number of aborted attempts to film Morrissey in interview, the shows producers have got around the quiffed ones refusal to participate, by producing a cartoon version of the man himself - inspired and obviously irritating to the great one, who is currently on tour in the UK, Europe and the US, and making a "comeback" - although its argued that he's never lost his status as 'mancunian genius'.
Producer David Nolan has assembled a cast of contributors close to the band to ensure that the programme is a million miles away from a shallow trip down memory lane and instead delves deep into their history to remind viewers just why The Smiths inspired a devotion never seen before or since.
Narrated by comedian Vic Reeves, These Things Take Time features incisive commentary from – amongst others - Joyce and Rourke, DJ John Peel, Sandie Shaw, early Smiths line up members Kevin Kennedy (now Curly Watts in Coronation Street) and original bass player Dale Hibbert. The programme also includes the views of Johnny Rogan, whose book Morrissey and Marr: A Severed Alliance famously incurred Morrissey’s wrath, plus intriguing memories from Morrissey’s old schoolteacher Aileen Power.
“He was a very sensitive boy,” she remembers.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainmen..._the_smiths.html
7 November 2002
Forging The Smiths
by simon donohue
MORRISSEY: As animated as they come
STEVEN Patrick Morrissey has just amazed his critics by polling 59 per cent of the vote to win a Manchester Evening News survey to name the Greatest Mancunian.
The former singer with The Smiths - who snubbed his home city on his latest solo tour and currently resides in Los Angeles - scored more highly than other candidates, including Alan Turing, LS Lowry and Albert Finney, who polled six per cent, two per cent and one per cent of the vote respectively.
The poll's timing could not have been better for Granada Television producer David Nolan who has spent the last month editing more than 100 hours of footage for a new documentary entitled These Things Take Time: The Story Of The Smiths.
But as fans who know Morrissey's controversial streak might expect, he refused to take part in the film.
Parts of The Smiths story are instead played out by cartoon characters - with comedian Vic Reeves providing Morrissey's voice.
Nolan, 37, says it is Morrissey's enigmatic personality, which continues to make him a point of musical fascination - even if the band which made him famous did split in 1987.
"When S Club break up, the kids who buy their records will just go off and find another group to follow," explains Nolan, as he and Video Tape editor Julian Coleman make final tweaks to the programme in a Granada edit suite.
"When The Smiths broke up, there were people on the steps of EMI threatening to kill themselves.
"Soundtrack of their lives"
"Those people genuinely believed that The Smiths had provided the soundtrack of their lives. That doesn't tend to happen with today's pop music. It's important we get that message across."
Although Morrissey's work as a solo artist has failed to earn the same plaudits as his back catalogue with The Smiths, Nolan suggests that some of his later fans actually see his former band as the launch pad to his career. He adds: "There are kids in America who absolutely adore Morrissey and dismiss The Smiths. But for the first time here we tell the whole story from start to finish."
Nolan's documentary is timed to mark the 20th anniversary of the band's first gig together. It begins as Morrissey meets The Smiths' revered guitarist, Johnny Marr, and the two first write together in the bedroom of the singer's Stretford home. There are interviews with Smiths' bassist, Andy Rourke, and drummer Mike Joyce, the band's little known first bass player, Dale Hibbert, and Morrissey's teacher at St Mary's Secondary Modern, who remembers him as a "sensitive" pupil.
Playfully, each interview features a gladioli - Morrissey's trademark flower - in the background, and Nolan has also managed to get his hands on previously unseen home movie footage of the band.
"Let's just say that came from an unnamed source," adds Nolan, making an enthusiastic "keep schtum" gesture.
Through four sections, the documentary charts the formation, rise, demise and future of The Smiths - or at least the legacy of a band whose songs have managed to stand the test of time far better than chart topping contemporaries.
Nolan explains that The Smiths are still big business, with countless books and websites in their honour and a new film - My Life With Morrissey - enjoying a cult following in art-house cinemas.
This documentary is clearly a labour of love for Nolan, who dismisses suggestions that The Smiths were simply miserable.
He adds: "The NME recently concluded that The Smiths were the most influential band ever. That's enough of a reason to do this. The people who thought Smiths' lyrics were miserable got it wrong. I had some of the best times of my life listening to The Smiths. They wrote sexy tunes and songs. And those songs still stand up today."
These Things Take Time: The Story Of The Smiths will be shown on ITV1 tomorrow (Friday) at 11.35pm.
[Profile] [PM]

isobel

Post 20-Jul-2006 17:30 (after 1 month 14 days)

[Quote]

Hello, I have managed to convert this with your patch instructions, but can only watch it on my computer at the moment. I am quite new to all this torrent malarky, so forgive me if I being dumb, but how do I burn it? Any help would be so appreciated. It is a great programme, that you for giving me the oppotunity to watch it at all. Isobel
[Profile] [PM]

MacPhisto247

Post 20-Jul-2006 21:50 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

the patch method rarely works and if you find it working for you, lucky you.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 09-Aug-2006 21:31 (after 19 days)

[Quote]

Lonkny, didn't mention it at the time as I'd seen this documentary many times before, but this is excellent quality and you've clearly spent some time with the menus. This is about as good as it can get. Thanks.
[Profile] [PM]

syncursor

Post 27-Sep-2006 19:36 (after 1 month 17 days)

[Quote]

Thank you for sharing and posting this doc. I've only ever watched on some extremely small rm files so this will be a whole new experience seeing it in this great quality. Cheers :-)
[Profile] [PM]

DB07

Post 05-Oct-2006 22:03 (after 8 days)

[Quote]

Thanks a lot for this, remember watching it but seems like much longer than four years ago!!
[Profile] [PM]

DB07

Post 11-Oct-2006 00:20 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

Not finished downloading yet but from what i can already view this is'nt the programm i remember watching, must 'av been another. Having said that it's still really weird to hear Mike Rossi speak in an american accent!
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 11-Oct-2006 17:48 (after 17 hours)

[Quote]

Lonkny, didn't mention it at the time as I'd seen this documentary many times before, but this is excellent quality and you've clearly spent some time with the menus. This is about as good as it can get. Thanks.
Just for the record, I think this is a straight reseed of a torrent I originally put up on EZT/DimeADozen (including the menu).
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 11-Oct-2006 18:31 (after 43 minutes)

[Quote]

Ah... well in that case, the thanks should be headed your direction.
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 11-Oct-2006 21:05 (after 2 hours 33 minutes)

[Quote]

Ah... well in that case, the thanks should be headed your direction.
It's not a question of who gets the thanks, but rather a matter of making clear to people what download they are being offered. There are currently so many sites where the same seeds are being offered up by different people who sometimes fail to acknowledge the original seeder and thus give the impression of putting up a new seed when, in fact, they are not.
[Profile] [PM]

DB07

Post 12-Oct-2006 15:00 (after 17 hours)

[Quote]

Please!!!! :cry:
Is anyone still seeding this?
I'm stuck on 72%, there are also four others who have'nt yet completed.
I'm hoping it's just a case of the seeders being temporarely offline! :lol:
[Profile] [PM]

DB07

Post 12-Oct-2006 15:01 (after 50 seconds)

[Quote]

Please!!!! :cry:
Is anyone still seeding this?
I'm stuck on 72%, there are also four others who have'nt yet completed.
I'm hoping it's just a case of the seeders being temporarely offline! :lol:
Thanks!
[Profile] [PM]

Fragilade

Post 13-Oct-2006 14:25 (after 23 hours)

[Quote]

I'm seeding now and will be online for the complete weekend.
[Profile] [PM]

DB07

Post 13-Oct-2006 15:53 (after 1 hour 27 minutes)

[Quote]

Fragilade, yeah, i noticed,cheers for that 8)
[Profile] [PM]

xrockerx

Post 15-Oct-2006 14:04 (after 1 day 22 hours)

[Quote]

can anybody seed this file for me?
would be cool!!!
thanx in advance
gr
thijsxxx
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 18-Oct 20:11