1986-02 Irish Tour Slideshow

Go to page :  1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

steve ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 08-Jun-2007 18:18

[Quote]

Irish Tour Slideshow - Ireland 10/11/12 February 1986
Dundalk is situated just before the border with Northern Ireland, just of the Main highway between Dublin and Belfast. So it was a nice easy journey up from Dublin in the morning. It was a pretty small town, but there was a Tourist Information Centre, where we sorted out our B&B for the night, and then down to the Fairways Hotel. This was quite a strange place for a venue. As the name suggests ... it's a hotel. With rooms, a restaurant and bar ... and a room out the back with another bar and stage ... not unlike the back rooms of many pubs. From the front it looked like any other hotel ... we parked in the car park and went in through the main entrance. In the lobby there was plenty of seating, and the staff seemed happy enough for the small ensemble of Smiths fans to loiter there all afternoon. From the lobby there was a short corridor which lead to what would be the concert hall out the back. We peeked in and got a brief glimpse of equipment being set up before we were ushered out and the door firmly closed. So we went back to the lobby and chatted with the other fans who were there.
Presently the Smiths arrived for the soundcheck. They came in through the lobby, stopping for a few photos and brief words, before they disappeared into the back room. After a while we could hear the noises of the soundcheck starting. We decided to go outside to wander round the outside of the hotel to see if there was a back entrance. Sure enough, round the back was where the equipment trucks were parked and there was a huge back door, which was wide open. We had a quick peak inside, but it opened into the back of the hall, where you couldn't really see anything, and we didn't want to venture in any further in case we were spotted and the doors closed. They were still soundchecking the drums and bass ... but you could hear everything quite clearly from the door entrance. I rushed back to the car to get my recording equipment. By the time I returned Johnny had joined in, and so I switched on the recorder. The band started playing a jam of a tune that we didn't recognize. Looked like I was going to get a nice quality, interesting soundcheck recording. They played the jam 3 times, with fairly lengthy gaps in between, where nothing much appeared to be going on and I switched the recorder off. During the last jam a couple of guys came out the door, and after getting something from one of the trucks went back in. I tried to move the mic out of their view ... but a couple of minutes later, someone came back and closed the door. After that, the sound was pretty muffled, so I stopped recording and we wandered back into the hotel. Turns out the rest of the fans were gathered in the corridor. Although the door was closed there too, you could still hear what was going on inside the hall pretty well ... if perhaps not quite as well as at the open door outside. So I switched the recorder on again and recorded the remainder of the soundcheck from there. When it was all over, the Smiths left the same way they came in, stopping for a more extended chat with the fans in the lobby. At least, Johnny, Andy and Mike spent quite a while chatting. Morrissey hung back a bit more, and then hurried out to the tour bus. Still, it was a nice few minutes.
Afterwards we left to find some place to eat, and came back in the evening for the show. The hall was very much like the backroom of a pub. There was a bar at one end, a carpeted floor, sticky with spilt beer, and a low ceiling with pillars. The hall was wider than it was long, and the stage was not very high ... perhaps a few feet off the ground. I'd guess there weren't that many people there, but the hall wasn't huge, and it felt packed. As the Smiths came on I got my recorder out and ... for the only time at a Smiths concert, a security guy spotted me, and took me outside. I'm sure if I'd been close to the soundboard, Grant would have saved me ... but there were only local security about, and they took my equipment away for 'safe keeping' until after the show. Oh well ... you can't win 'em all, and now I had a chance to enjoy a show. It was easy enough to get close to the front. The place was quite full, but the crowd weren't so manic as at Dublin the night before. So although it wasn't so highly charged, it did feel more intimate.
As I've said in another thread. My recording of the soundcheck is already uploaded here. I've never made a cassette copy of the recording, and I only 'released' in on CD a few years ago. The download here must be a copy of that ... so there seems little point in uploading it again. Instead I've made a short slide-show of the pictures we took on the Irish Tour, using a couple of the jams as background audio. Seemed like a good project to try out iLife on a macbook. So I've created a DVD for the download.
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 08-Jun-2007 19:30 (after 1 hour 11 minutes)

[Quote]

thank you!
[Profile] [PM]

Demian

Post 08-Jun-2007 19:44 (after 13 minutes)

[Quote]

Additional to your always personal and colourful words we will get an even closer look of your trip(s).
Many thanks for this and all your shared impressions and uploads so far.
Demian
[Profile] [PM]

dara

Longevity: 10 years

Post 08-Jun-2007 20:10 (after 26 minutes)

[Quote]

I do love soundchecks. Thank you for your story and slideshow.
"Seemed like a good project to try out iLife on a macbook. So I've created a DVD for the download." Excellent.
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 09-Jun-2007 06:05 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you very much for this, Steve! What a great little item.
[Profile] [PM]

quietnski

Post 09-Jun-2007 10:05 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for sharing !!
[Profile] [PM]

cro_morrissey

Post 09-Jun-2007 12:32 (after 2 hours 27 minutes)

[Quote]

thank you so much!!!
great post...so many beautiful pics are inside...
thank you one more time
cheers!!!!!!!!!
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 09-Jun-2007 14:25 (after 1 hour 52 minutes)

[Quote]

many thanks Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

traveller03

Post 09-Jun-2007 18:56 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

This should be great! Can't wait to watch. Thanks as always, Steve.
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 09-Jun-2007 22:38 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Very interesting, thanks, Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

jmkelly

Post 10-Jun-2007 22:13 (after 23 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve. I'm looking forward to seeing this. I got a copy of the Dundalk gig from one of the stalls that did Bootlegs in Dublin at the time - and it's terrible quality ! One of the guys is a friend of mine now and he told me that he recorded it, but he'd never used a D6 before, so screwed up the levels royally !
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 11-Jun-2007 07:46 (after 9 hours)

[Quote]

yeah ... I've got a really bad quality recording of the show too. Maybe its the same one.
[Profile] [PM]

pjlm

Post 12-Jun-2007 15:53 (after 1 day 8 hours)

[Quote]

One of the guys is a friend of mine now and he told me that he recorded it
Could you tell me his name, or nickname, or initials, so I can credit his input on "Passions Just Like Mine"?
thanks
Stephane
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 12-Jun-2007 23:27 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks for sharing pics Steve. Some real gems in here. I assume it's Angie pictured with Johnny?
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 13-Jun-2007 10:33 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

no that's Jo. Didn't see Angie much on tour. Occasionally at gigs, she'd be at the soundboard, but certainly not at soundchecks etc. Jo actually took some of the pictures ... I think the colour one's are mine and the black & white one's are her's ... except for the photo you're talking about, where she got me to take a picture using her camera.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 21-Sep 06:52