1986-02-10 Dublin Stadium

Go to page :   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

cheesestraws

Longevity: 12 years

Post 02-Jun-2007 07:32

[Quote]

Did you buy it in Camden? There was quite a bit of 'swapping' amounst the tape traders, some of whom couldn't be bothered to do a new cover.
We were based outside the barbers shop, a couple of shops up towards the station from Rhythm Records ... almost on the crossroads.
Were you the guys with the little telly showing bootleg vids? If you were I bought Madrid & Nottingham from you there waaaay back when....anyway, thanks for this one as well!
[Profile] [PM]

jmkelly

Longevity: 13 years

Post 03-Jun-2007 22:18 (after 1 day 14 hours)

[Quote]

This is the one I've been waiting for... This was the 5th gig of my life, the others being 2 Smiths gigs in the SFX in May & November '84 and 2 New Order gigs a couple of weeks before this one, also in the SFX, so at that stage every gig was utterly utterly precious - and when it was your favourite band and you're 18 and about to leave school - then this was as good a moment as life offers. My dad gave me and my 14 year old brother a lift to The Stadium (There was no real concept of age limits in them days as those main venues in Dublin didn't serve alcohol, as they weren't full-time music venues). My brother had recently badly damaged his knee, and had a full leg cast on and was on crutches, which made mobility a tad difficult. 2 of my school friends came along also, so it was a full car load, heavy with anticipation. The June Brides played support - we had heard them on John Peel, so that was a great bonus - to hear a band that Peel endorsed. As Steve said, it was all seater - mostly it's fixed tiered seating there, but in the vacated area where the boxing ring would normally be, which was the area in front of the stage, they had individual chairs. It was bedlam when The Smiths took the stage. Due to my brother's immobility, we had to hang back initially, and my abiding memory was the chairs being passed back over people's heads to make room for everyone to stand in front of the stage. I eventually made my way towards the front. I remember seeing a blond haired bloke pass me by holding a Sony Pro Mic (which I found out 5 years later to be Steve, when I ended up, by complete fluke, working with him in London). It was a fantastic gig. In them days a guy called Richards did a lot of the recording in Dublin, so we got the tape from him a while later, but I think his was missing the first song or two. By that stage we already knew Soundsville to be the byword for top quality recordings, having traded tapes in Dublin and via NME small Ads, so we would have preferred to get the Soundsville version. But in them days you got whatever you could get your hands on, and were glad of it.
It was on this short tour that Andy Rourke's heroin issue came to a head and allegedly his playing had deteriorated - not that we noticed - we were just blown away by the whole event !
Thanks for this one Steve - but also for all the other masters and stories you've shared. Legend is too small a word !
[Profile] [PM]

dara

Post 04-Jun-2007 04:13 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Nice story, jmkelly. :D It makes me appreciate this show even more. It's a small world, you know!
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 04-Jun-2007 07:27 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Good post jmkelly. Nice to hear it from another angle.
Small world indeed.
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 04-Jun-2007 08:52 (after 1 hour 25 minutes)

[Quote]

Hi Joe ... how are things in Dublin?
Great story ... my memories of that tour are a little hazy. Like you though, I didn't notice that Andy's playing was suffereing.
As the Dundalk soundcheck is already available from here ... I've never made tape copies of this. I transferred it to CD a few years ago ... so its only been traded in digital form. So it doesn't really seem worth uploading it again.
So as I've got quite a few pictures from the Irish Tour, I thought I'd make a slide-show this week using some of the Dundalk soundcheck as the background audio (also I'm trying out iLife to see how easy it really is to use).
No pictures of the Dublin concert unfortunately, but some outside the soundcheck and at the hotel
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 05-Jun-2007 15:40 (after 1 day 6 hours)

[Quote]

jmkelly, steve - thanks for sharing stories and for the concert itself!
[Profile] [PM]

5uedehead

Post 10-Jun-2007 13:46 (after 4 days)

[Quote]

Cheers for this Steve, a nice slice of Smiths Irish history! Bit of a legendary show this one. Wasn't it after this show that the wheels started to come off, that Morrissey discovered Andy's problem? Always connected this gig to Andy being fired. Maybe not........ :oops: Anyway, thanks again for the show, you're a legend! :D
[Profile] [PM]

Smelly French Boy

Post 05-Jul-2007 07:39 (after 24 days)

[Quote]

THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING THESE EXCELLENTS MASTER TAPE
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 24-Jun-2009 16:33 (after 1 year 11 months)

[Quote]

Any chance of seeding this one?
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 24-Jun-2009 17:47 (after 1 hour 13 minutes)

[Quote]

Ooh here's another one I missed. Ditto on the seeders please ;)
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 24-Jun-2009 18:13 (after 25 minutes)

[Quote]

Ooh here's another one I missed. Ditto on the seeders please ;)
It's all ThisCharmingBen's fault, i hadn't realised that they'd played shows in 86 before Gannon joined, now i'm intrigued :wink:
[Profile] [PM]

jay

Longevity: 8 years 5 months

Post 28-Feb-2011 13:43 (after 1 year 8 months)

[Quote]

seed please
[Profile] [PM]

gius

Post 31-Jan-2012 16:50 (after 11 months 3 days)

[Quote]

you're the best steve
[Profile] [PM]

barnettiuk

Longevity: 7 years

Post 01-Aug-2012 10:36 (after 6 months)

[Quote]

.......Rogan states that according to Grant Showbiz Andy's playing was particularly bad at this one show, but no-one seemingly remembers it or has remarked on it from hearing the tape so it can't have been that poor.........
[Showbiz] "....Andy had lost it......out of 10 notes he was playing three. He was completely gone and just stopped playing numbers...."
[Profile] [PM]

barnettiuk

Longevity: 7 years

Post 01-Aug-2012 13:10 (after 2 hours 33 minutes)

[Quote]

......well I just listened to the whole thing and I can't hear anything wrong with Andy's bass playing. OK, I was only listening through plug-in computer speakers, but he's not missing notes, he's not out of tune and he's not playing wrong notes. Either it's not this gig or it's another urban myth..........
cheers
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 21-Aug 01:20