1986-07-20 Salford University (Soundsville)

Go to page :  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

steve ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 18-May-2007 18:23

[Quote]

University Of Salford, Salford - 20 July 1986
Panic
Shakespeare's Sister
Frankly, Mr. Shankly
Vicar In A Tutu
Ask
I Want The One I Can't Have
Cemetry Gates
Never Had No One Ever
Is It Really So Strange?
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
What She Said (with Rubber Ring intro and outro)
The Queen Is Dead
/Money Changes Everything
/I Know It's Over
//Bigmouth Strikes Again
///(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame/Rusholme Ruffians
///Hand In Glove
Felt like doing something different this week, so I'm taking a break from the audio, and here's another video. This is Paul's video. He was the first to get a camcorder ... a Sony one, and having tried it out at Glastonbury earlier that summer, he was ready to try it on a Smiths show. Not sure why he didn't try it at any of the previous venues ... probably thought security would be too tight ... but decided to try it on the last date of this leg of the tour. Its funny ... but I have a much hazier memory of most of the 86 shows than I do of the 83-85 shows I went to. Maybe the traveling was becoming much more commonplace.
Anyway ... Paul stuffed the camera down the front of his trousers, which was quite some feat given the size of the cameras in those days. There wasn't much security, so he had no problems getting it in, and went straight up to the balcony. I was doing the audio recording, so I was downstairs. I would occasionally glace up at the balcony and I could see him filming away. I also spotted Angie Marr filming with a camcorder from the soundboard. Paul said she wasn't filming everything, just bits and pieces.
The show itself was one of the best ever. The day before (G-mex) had been a bit disappointing ... and it wasn't really 'a smiths gig'. But this was a real hometown show, and everyone was up for a great time. As soon as Panic started everyone in the crowd was jumping up and down. You could feel the floor bounce in time. And it didn't really calm down. There was obviously pandemonium down the front, and at some point the stage actually collapsed and they had to stop the show for a few minutes. When they restarted the front row were almost on the stage, and Johnny and Andy eventually retreated to the drum riser. Its not altogether clear what's happening on the video, but at some point you'll notice that the crowd seem almost to be on stage. This made stage invading a little easier, and by the end the stage was almost flooded with fans. A fabulous night.
This is not taken from Paul's Video8 master ... it's a transfer from a copy he made me onto Hi-Grade VHS tape. However, I don't think there were many copy actually made from Paul's master. Most of the copies we sold at the stall and all the copies I subsequently traded would have been made from my VHS copy, or a similar copy he made for himself. As a result, I suspect this will be better than almost all the other copies out there.
I spoke with Paul about the master last year. He's not put it onto DVD yet, and doesn't have anything to transfer it. He said he tried playing the tape a while ago, and said it wasn't in good condition. He's in Australia these days, so maybe the climate there isn't too healthy for 20 year old video tapes. Anyway ... it looks like this is probably the best source available.
I've dubbed on my audio recording of the show. Although it required a little bit of syncing, it was relatively straight forward. Analog tapes always run at different speeds, but if you're working with tapes of the master it's usually fairly simple to sync them. Put in a few tapes generations/edits and it quickly becomes a nightmare. I tried using the complete Palladium posted on here as I'm missing the encore for the recording (from master) that I have .... and its pretty much un-usable as the speed seems to vary within each song.
Anyway ... hopefully this is an improvement on the version already out there.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 18-May-2007 19:19 (after 55 minutes)

[Quote]

Can't wait to see this upgrade!! Many thanks for this Steve!!!
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 18-May-2007 19:30 (after 11 minutes)

[Quote]

nice surprise, thanks!
[Profile] [PM]

matti

Post 18-May-2007 19:43 (after 12 minutes)

[Quote]

Many thanks again!
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 18-May-2007 19:48 (after 5 minutes)

[Quote]

Excellent! Thanks a lot, Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 18-May-2007 20:54 (after 1 hour 5 minutes)

[Quote]

what a surprise ! Thans a LOT Steve :-)
[Profile] [PM]

Ivory88

Post 19-May-2007 07:00 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

VERY nice, and many thanks for the upgrade.
[Profile] [PM]

anovella

Post 19-May-2007 09:37 (after 2 hours 37 minutes)

[Quote]

Thank you very much for this UP
[Profile] [PM]

honorbak

Post 19-May-2007 12:09 (after 2 hours 32 minutes)

[Quote]

Many thanks !!!
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 19-May-2007 13:05 (after 55 minutes)

[Quote]

Job's a good 'un, Steve... had to clear some space on the old hard drive to accommodate, but I'm sure it'll be worth it!!
[Profile] [PM]

strangeways

Post 19-May-2007 20:25 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

steve, you are a legend!
[Profile] [PM]

leche27

Post 20-May-2007 14:01 (after 17 hours)

[Quote]

Wonderful...thanks Steve.
[Profile] [PM]

quietnski

Post 20-May-2007 15:43 (after 1 hour 41 minute)

[Quote]

Thank you very much..... !!!!
[Profile] [PM]

stew77

Longevity: 10 years

Post 23-May-2007 07:40 (after 2 days 15 hours)

[Quote]

Thankyou very much for this Steve,
So nice to have the best version available (of my 3 different copies of this gig, I feel I can now finally be happy)
-- And you did a superb job with the audio remastering.
Out of any live Smiths video this is definately my favourite - even if it's not the sharpest video quality Smiths gig out there, it easily
makes up for it with historical significance, crowd energy, The Smiths own performance and setlist - excellent!!
Thanks again!!!!
Stew77
[Profile] [PM]

cro_morrissey

Longevity: 10 years

Post 23-May-2007 08:34 (after 54 minutes)

[Quote]

i am so excited about this one....
THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Aug 07:36