Avoiding ISP throttling

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 28-Apr-2006 18:33

[Quote]

If you're trying to seed, but no one seems to be able to connect to you, then it could be that your ISP is messing around with your connection to avoid torrents. I've seen this happen a few times.
I've also seen ISPs limiting the speed of transfers.
The people making Azareus, BitComet and utorrent are trying to find a solution to this problem. If you're using utorrent, go into options | network and enable protocol encryption. More info here. If that doesn't work, post here and I'll try and work out what's going on.
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Longevity: 11 years

Post 29-Apr-2006 03:20 (after 8 hours)

[Quote]

I've got the scheduler on, and enabled encryption in Utorrent - but still not working out. Downloads are decent (17kbps) at first, and after 5 minutes dwindle down to 4kbps. Uploads are just about non-existant. I've limited uploads to 15kbps during active hours, but my internet speed is still dial-up slow...
Cablevision is throttling accounts, and in my town, they are the only ISP around - DSL isn't available yet. I recently switched my phone to VoIP with Cablevision, which I now realize is a big mistake, since the bandwidth throttling also kills my phone connection (no dial tone until I quit uTorrent).
Thought it was a faulty cable modem, but everytime I quit the P2P apps, phone service gets better (or I get a dial tone). So I'm outta luck and can seed only verrry slowly....
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Aug 09:58