The Headmaster Ritual
Still Ill
Meat Is Murder
/Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
/Handsome Devil
//Barbarism Begins At Home
//Miserable Lie
///Barbarism Begins At Home
This show was a bit of a mess for us really. After all the dates we'd been on I guess we were getting a bit dazed by it all. I took the train down from Manchester to meet up with the rest of the guys in Leicester mid afternoon. We checked out the venue, but there was nothing much to see. So as we'd heard the curries were supposed to be good in the midlands, we drove off in search of a curry house. Eventually we found one that looked quite good and piled in. I can't really remember whether the curry was good or not after all these years. I do remember that we washed it down with rather a lot of beer, so that when we turned up at the De Montfort Hall I was quite drunk. So recollections of the show are probably hazy. I seem to remember the hall as quite large, with a stage at one end, but lots of free space around the edges ... and plants. I initially settled mid way back, got my gear out and started recording as usual. But eventually the drink got the better of me, and I decided that I hadn't just enjoyed any of the shows, so decided to see if I could get to the front. So, still recording I started my trip towards the stage, which, as you can imagine, got more difficult the closer I got. Eventually I was a couple of rows from the front, and just managing to hold onto my mic. Soon it was becoming impossible to concentrate on the recording, so I switch the deck off and surrendered to the crowd. Towards the end of the show when I'd had enough of the crush, I dropped back, and started recording again.
So unfortunately I only have about 20 minutes of the show. However I did manage to pick up another recording of the show - 1st gen, direct off the taper at the time, which I've included in this torrent, as I don't think it's that widely circulated.
Unfortunately my lack of commitment was compounded at the Bristol Show a few days later, where after a particularly heavy night beforehand, which I won't go in to, I ended up sleeping in the car until just before the show started, and subsequently decided to leave the recording equipment behind. It was an all seated venue, but we were allowed to stand at the front of the stage. So it was a very enjoyable gig for us ... although, unfortunately, a tape has never surfaced from that show.
Again this was recorded using my Sony Professional Walkman with Sony EMC-929LT Mic onto Metal tape. No details on the other recording.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 23-Feb-2007 19:50 (after 31 minute)

[Quote]

Two shows in one. Thanks Steve. Glad you managed to get down to the pit for at least one of the shows.
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 23-Feb-2007 21:53 (after 2 hours 3 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks again, Steve - and it's heartening to learn that you were only human and prey to the same appetites as your average gig-goer!
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 23-Feb-2007 22:00 (after 6 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks for joining the two steve!!
many thanks for another excellent weekend :)
[Profile] [PM]

matti

Post 24-Feb-2007 01:31 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Kiitos!
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Post 24-Feb-2007 02:30 (after 58 minutes)

[Quote]

thanks!
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 24-Feb-2007 02:59 (after 28 minutes)

[Quote]

once again.. THANK YOU :-)
[Profile] [PM]

traveller03

Post 24-Feb-2007 04:54 (after 1 hour 54 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks again! It makes it so much more enjoyable to listen to these recordings knowing the stories behind them :)
[Profile] [PM]

quietnski

Post 24-Feb-2007 06:56 (after 2 hours 2 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks for sharing !!
[Profile] [PM]

Noddy93

Longevity: 10 years

Post 24-Feb-2007 14:10 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

thanks a ton. since i collect so many bands a co-worker asked me if I'd start grabbing Smiths stuff for her. Of course... the main side effect being that I'm remembering just how much I enjoyed them.
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 25-Feb-2007 07:36 (after 17 hours)

[Quote]

Thank you, Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 26-Feb-2007 17:50 (after 1 day 10 hours)

[Quote]

As always, thanks for sharing Steve - glad you were able to enjoy a gig here and there without worrying about taping...!
[Profile] [PM]

Josef

Longevity: 10 years

Post 27-Feb-2007 07:27 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

Hi Steve
Looking forward to downloading this. I was at this one as well - but didn't tape it. It was the last time i saw the smiths. I'd managed to get myself on the guest list for james as I was in negotiations with them to play in my home town. They forgot to put me on the list and i was stuck outside until someone got a band member to come to the door and vouch for me. I also remember the hall seeming huge, but found my self back there last summer and it's really very intimate - quite short but with an upstairs balcony which meant that it probably had quite a large capacity.
What I do remember is the band walking off stage (before the encores?) to the dying strains and sound effects/ tape of 'meat is murder'. Anyway, as well as the sound effects, the bass guitar kept playing all by itself........Kind of spoilt it for me really. I also remember the baseball bat weilding bootleggers outside selling dodgy posters and threatening to club any of their 'customers' who tried to snatch a poster on the way out. All in all very charming.
Josef
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 27-Feb-2007 09:56 (after 2 hours 28 minutes)

[Quote]

now there's where all the real money was made. The poeple who sold bootleg posters were *VERY* heavy. That business was totally tied up. There was no way you could just turn up and start selling posters. The country was mapped out into territories and the 'owner' had to set you up ... for a nice cut, of course.
[Profile] [PM]

blameless

Post 12-Jun-2007 13:44 (after 3 months 13 days)

[Quote]

Anyone able to help out with a seed forthis? Would be appreciated.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 23-Aug 15:47