The Headmaster Ritual
Still Ill
Meat Is Murder
/Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
/Handsome Devil
//Barbarism Begins At Home
//Miserable Lie
///You've Got Everything Now
This weekend Paul stayed in London doing the stall, while I traveled North to see the Manchester show. My sister was at university in Manchester the previous few years, and although she'd left at this point, a couple of her mates, who I knew, were still there, and I'd arranged to stay with them. I took the train up, and decided to take the opportunity to read 'Beyond Belief' by Emlyn Williams. Not sure how familiar you are with this, but its a book about the Moors Murders, written in the 60s in a sort of British Truman Capote 'nonfiction novel' style. Anyway, there were rumours going around at the time that Morrissey had read, and used bits of the book. There were chapters called 'Suffer Little Children' and 'Hindley Wakes' and the author constantly refers to the couple who shopped the killers as 'the Smiths'. Anyway ... it was something I wanted to read, and the journey up to Manchester seemed an ideal opportunity. I finished the last chapter just as the train rolled in to Piccadilly, giving me a rather chilly arrival into Manchester.
From there I wandered up to Hulme to find the flat I was staying at in one of the huge crescents. A very bleak piece of Manchester, but walking distance from the Palace Theatre. I had actually bought a ticket for this show, which was probably just as well, as it was an all seated venue. An old style theatre, and not that big. I was in the balcony about half way up on the end of the row. Not the best place to record, but not bad. Seated venues are always a problem for recording. The audience seemed a bit subdued compared to other shows I'd been to. I think the venue contributed to this ... it was quite intimate, but seemed to dissipate energy from the performance. Even so, Morrissey seemed to be glad to be playing a home town show, and I got quite a reasonable recording. I left quickly after the last encore, not wanting to be wandering around Hulme too late at night, and then after thanking my hosts in the morning, dashed off to catch a train to Leicester to meet up with the rest of the crew for the next night's performance.
I see passions says that an FM of this show is 'rumoured, but not very likely'. There was a radio broadcast of this show on local radio. I have a pretty good copy of it ... about 57 minutes long.
Again this was recorded using my Sony Professional Walkman with Sony EMC-929LT Mic onto Metal tape.
[Profile] [PM]

cut_here

Longevity: 11 years

Post 16-Feb-2007 19:32 (after 14 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve.
[Profile] [PM]

arkil

Post 16-Feb-2007 19:43 (after 11 minutes)

[Quote]

thank you Steve :-)
Do you think the bootleg "Rusholme Ruffians Play At Home" is coming from your recording ?
[Profile] [PM]

steve ®

Post 16-Feb-2007 19:51 (after 7 minutes)

[Quote]

I don't know. I've not heard "Rusholme Ruffians Play At Home".
To be honest, I don't have many 'official' CD bootlegs. I picked a few up in the 80s - mainly FMs. But lots have come out in the 90s and onwards. I have master or 1st gen tapes of most of these shows, so I can't believe many of them would be an improvement. I know from experience that the poeple that produce these CDs don't necessarily use master tapes.
I'd be interested to know what you think.
[Profile] [PM]

fki

Post 16-Feb-2007 21:05 (after 1 hour 13 minutes)

[Quote]

Thank you, Steve, as always! :)
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 16-Feb-2007 21:09 (after 4 minutes)

[Quote]

Many thanks for this Steve!
[Profile] [PM]

dlgladwin

Post 16-Feb-2007 21:24 (after 14 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks for this, Steve - it's great to be following the Meat Is Murder tour, all these years later.
Any chance of sharing the radio broadcast at some later point?
[Profile] [PM]

waterisnat

Post 16-Feb-2007 21:33 (after 8 minutes)

[Quote]

"I can smell body odour!" and "Breathing is murder" are two of my favourite Morrissey-quips, both from this night. This is bound to be a huge upgrade over the "Rusholme Ruffians Play at Home" bootleg CD, which suffers from being several generations removed from the master tape.
Renewed thanks yet once more again, Steve! (and yeah, that FM-recording would make a nice companion at one point).
[Profile] [PM]

WaxlyMolding

Post 16-Feb-2007 22:03 (after 30 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks again....BTW, add another request for the FM broadcast for this.....
[Profile] [PM]

cadm

Post 16-Feb-2007 22:19 (after 16 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks again steve!
The FM broadcast for next week, so ;)
[Profile] [PM]

rominho

Post 17-Feb-2007 00:54 (after 2 hours 34 minutes)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve
One more request for the FM recording!!
Cheers
[Profile] [PM]

matti

Post 17-Feb-2007 01:37 (after 43 minutes)

[Quote]

Kiitos (thanks) :)
[Profile] [PM]

batnaMMV

Post 17-Feb-2007 13:27 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks Steve.
On your FM copy which tracks were missed out as you say it is 57 minutes long?
[Profile] [PM]

monsterH

Post 17-Feb-2007 14:40 (after 1 hour 13 minutes)

[Quote]

Here's my weekly thanks to you Steve...!
[Profile] [PM]

ourfrank

Post 17-Feb-2007 17:31 (after 2 hours 50 minutes)

[Quote]

Can't express my thanks enough for your audience masters, Steve!
Well, 'Rusholme Ruffians Play at Home' seems to be that FM recording, then, as it is about 57 minutes long and it misses the beginning 3 songs and most of the encores. Sound quality of 'Rusholme Ruffians Play ...' is obviously from a different, much better recording source. But if your FM recording is even better, then I can't wait to hear that.
Cheers
(Our)Frank
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Aug 23:03