Biography

Reply to topic

DavidA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 29-Sep-2006 19:09

[Quote]

I'd forgotten I'd pre-ordered this from Amazon, but it turned up yesterday. Haven't started reading it yet though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Johnny-Marr-Smiths-Art-Gun-...ng/dp/0954970489
[Profile] [PM]

Melys

Post 11-Oct-2006 21:01 (after 12 days)

[Quote]

Got it too today! :-D
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 11-Oct-2006 23:19 (after 2 hours 18 minutes)

[Quote]

You two can' t tell us you have the book without perusing it and giving us something!
It's not available here (yet?). I really hope there's a lot of detail about his his songwriting. (And going back to his work with the Smiths in this book would not be a re-hash.)
[Profile] [PM]

wiseass73

Post 25-Oct-2006 10:25 (after 13 days)

[Quote]

So what's the verdict?
(And personally, have never been a fan of biographies, though they can be entertaining.)
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 25-Oct-2006 12:23 (after 1 hour 57 minutes)

[Quote]

I had a scan through it but I'm waiting to go on holiday before I read it. Seems like there's a good chunk of Smiths era.
The downside is that it's completely unauthorised. He didn't get an interview with Marr.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 21-Jan-2007 21:06 (after 2 months 27 days)

[Quote]

I've just read this on holiday.
It's a good book. About half of it is about his period with The Smiths. It focusses more on the music than what Morrissey was saying and doing, which I prefer. A lot of input from Grant Showbiz, Billy Bragg, some others, plus a Johnny Marr interview which was done with another interviewer. I found out quite a few new things, such as how and where songs got written. I didn't realise Johnny had moonlit for other bands while in The Smiths.
As mean as it sounds, I was ready to finish at the end of The Smiths section, but I was drawn into the post-Smiths section and ended up reading the book from cover to cover. I knew that he'd done a lot of session work, but not that much work for that many people.
An easy read. Less dry than some others. Some good new info, but lacking first hand interviews. I'd recommend it.
[Profile] [PM]

ezears

Post 03-Feb-2007 00:37 (after 12 days)

[Quote]

It's exactly the kind of information I was hoping it would contain. The stuff about the band dynamics has already been written to death.
I've been on such a Marr kick lately, having caught the MM show and all the Modest Mouse press!
[Profile] [PM]

blameless

Post 24-Feb-2007 01:47 (after 21 day)

[Quote]

I was really hoping this was an acutal autobiography from Marr himself but alas we're still waiting for that. As 'fan' books go it's a pretty decent read, nothing amazingly new in there (as David mentioned it's largely taken from other source interviews).
Defintely worth a read as long as you're not expecting Johnnys unabridged version of events.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 01-Mar-2007 12:40 (after 5 days)

[Quote]

Does anyone know how much work he did with the group called "The The". He apparently toured with them during 1989 on the "Mind Bomb" tour. I have only seen one bootleg from this tour as yet but am still looking for others ;)
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 13-Mar-2007 23:31 (after 12 days)

[Quote]

Does anyone know how much work he did with the group called "The The". He apparently toured with them during 1989 on the "Mind Bomb" tour. I have only seen one bootleg from this tour as yet but am still looking for others ;)
There's a live video out from that tour, Marr plays on it. Maybe out on DVD too.
He played on that album and may have helped write a track or two as well, the big(ish) hit was The Beat(en) Generation which i've got on 12" somewhere.
Not a big The The fan myself, the album after was better than Mind Bomb IMHO and that didn't feature Marr.
I get the feeling Matt Johnson (i think that's the singer's name) really saw The The as himself and session musicians rather than a band in the true sense of the word.
Aha, "The The Versus The World"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-THE-Versus-The-World-VHS-...Z1QQcmdZViewItem
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 21-Aug 06:23