Morrissey - 12th October 1997 - The Greek, Los Angeles, CA

Go to page :   Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

fki

Longevity: 13 years

Post 14-Dec-2006 06:48

[Quote]

I'd say it's lossless.
Indeed, it drops off at around 10kHZ, but it's not that sheer that an mp3. This spectrum doesn't look nice though. The recording gear wasn't the best one, or there were a weak cassette recorder somewhere in the lineage, who knows.
Anyway, I made a color sonogram of The More You Ignore Me, and still stating that this isn't from an mp3:
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 14-Dec-2006 13:48 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Yes. It was the fact that it wasn't a sheer drop that made me think it wasn't from MP3.
I agree that it doesn't have a great frequency range, but I don't think it's been encoded as lossy.
[Profile] [PM]

bclark93

Post 14-Dec-2006 14:33 (after 44 minutes)

[Quote]

Looks like it could be a Minidisc generation involved here. That or some Noise Reduction was done. I dont believe this to be MP3.
[Profile] [PM]

traveller03

Post 14-Dec-2006 20:34 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

Looks like it could be a Minidisc generation involved here. That or some Noise Reduction was done. I dont believe this to be MP3.
I completely agree, bclark93. If you look at it spectrally that line around 11,000 Hz leads me to believe that this came from an analog source at some point in its lineage. Listening to the crowd noise between tracks 1 and 2 make me certain that noise or hiss reduction was used injudiciously at some point. The 'blockiness' at the top end of the spectrum looks like it might have been copied through an MD as well or perhaps just a bad sound card. Finally the track transitions are all okay and usually something with mp3 in its lineage has the telltale micro gaps between tracks. Not to say that someone couldn't have fixed them but given the other signs I'd say it's lossless. A bad transfer but lossless nonetheless.
[Profile] [PM]

MacPhisto247

Post 20-Dec-2006 23:53 (after 6 days)

[Quote]

This is a near-soundboard - maybe a IEM/ALD recording that got remastered or tweaked a little bit, and I have the well circulated audience recording of this show and it sounds nothing like this. some instruments on this seem to be a little more than others but everything is heard here, minimal crowd noise - especially rare from this tour I would say.
my vote is - no audience (at least that much I would say WITH confidence).
and yes I went to this show as well, my first Moz show, and was depressed at the freakin wannabe's that stormed the stage during Shoplifters - speaking of which, I remember when that happened, Spencer dropped his drum sticks in disappointment. :(
[Profile] [PM]

traveller03

Post 21-Dec-2006 02:34 (after 2 hours 41 minute)

[Quote]

This is a near-soundboard - maybe a IEM/ALD recording that got remastered or tweaked a little bit, and I have the well circulated audience recording of this show and it sounds nothing like this. some instruments on this seem to be a little more than others but everything is heard here, minimal crowd noise - especially rare from this tour I would say.
my vote is - no audience (at least that much I would say WITH confidence).
and yes I went to this show as well, my first Moz show, and was depressed at the freakin wannabe's that stormed the stage during Shoplifters - speaking of which, I remember when that happened, Spencer dropped his drum sticks in disappointment. :(
So how does the regular audience recording sound? Worth posting?
[Profile] [PM]

MacPhisto247

Post 21-Dec-2006 08:55 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

could be, but my copy is on cassette from the taper. I got it directly from the taper withing a week of the show. I don't know of what equipment was used because I was just trading tapes then. sorry, wish I had more info.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA ®

Post 21-Dec-2006 22:29 (after 13 hours)

[Quote]

What's an IEM/ALD recording?
[Profile] [PM]

traveller03

Post 22-Dec-2006 06:07 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

What's an IEM/ALD recording?
IEM = in ear monitor. Usually it's the soundboard feed that the musician is listening to on stage.
ALD = assisted listening device. Some venues offer these for those with hearing deficiencies. It's like an in house FM signal that goes specifically to these devices. Sometimes tapers will get one of these and attach their recording gear to it.
[Profile] [PM]

Tracey

Post 30-Dec-2006 01:18 (after 7 days)

[Quote]

i would definitely agree that this is likely from an IEM or ALD source after having given it a listen.
does anyone think its a tad too slow? it doesn't really sound out of pitch, but the tempo of the songs sounds a little sluggish to these ears.
[Profile] [PM]

Patrick

Post 30-Dec-2006 05:46 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Actually it's neither a IEM (Moz has never used them, prefers the old fashioned way) or an ALD. This stems from the house video feed at the Greek Theater (for their TV monitors.) Someone who knew someone who worked at the venue was able to patch in... didn't get the video, but got the audio. It has leaked out over the years, it never sounded quite like a true soundboard mix since it was patched through the house system and recorded via analog. Hope this info helps.
[Profile] [PM]

Tracey

Post 30-Dec-2006 06:26 (after 39 minutes)

[Quote]

Actually it's neither a IEM (Moz has never used them, prefers the old fashioned way) or an ALD. This stems from the house video feed at the Greek Theater (for their TV monitors.) Someone who knew someone who worked at the venue was able to patch in... didn't get the video, but got the audio. It has leaked out over the years, it never sounded quite like a true soundboard mix since it was patched through the house system and recorded via analog. Hope this info helps.
thanks for the history behind this recording Patrick. love little stories like this.
now, if only more people knew more people and this kind of thing happened more often...
[Profile] [PM]

Verence

Longevity: 12 years

Post 27-May-2007 03:57 (after 4 months 27 days)

[Quote]

Oh man, I have been looking for a boot of this ever since I went to it. Thank you!
This was my first Moz concert. Much sentimental value. :)
[Profile] [PM]

mg196

Post 28-May-2007 01:46 (after 21 hour)

[Quote]

Hey guys, the intro song is Nico, "Innocent and Vain." Good choice, Moz!
[Profile] [PM]

Verence

Post 28-May-2007 03:50 (after 2 hours 4 minutes)

[Quote]

Yeah, I recognized her voice from the Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack. I have a couple of her albums. :)
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 11-Dec 16:23