matahari5 ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 14-Oct-2017 20:02

[Quote]

Another fresh off Dime that belongs here-
THE SMITHS, The Venue, Victoria, London, 15 September 1983
** REMASTER**
Lineage:
Aiwa CM-30 mic > Sony TCS 300 > TDK AD-90 (master) > Sony WM-D6C > Macbook Pro > Amadeus Pro at 16/48 > tracksplits > resampled to 16/44.1 > Xact (Flac8)
01 Handsome Devil
02 You’ve Got Everything Now
03 These Things Take Time
04 This Charming Man
05 Reel Around The Fountain
06 Miserable Lie
07 Still Ill
08 I Don’t Owe You Anything
09 Hand in Glove
10 What Difference Does It Make?
11 Accept Yourself (encore)
12 Hand In Glove (encore)
13 Handsome Devil (encore)
This was the second time I saw and taped the Smiths. The first time was supporting The Sisters of Mercy(!).
This was a Rough Trade ‘showcase’ gig and also on the bill were Felt and the Go-Betweens. All for £2.50! I put my master recordings of their two performances up on Dime a few weeks ago - so with this Smiths recording you now have the whole lot. Anyway, at this point in time the Smiths had only released one 7” single. But everything was about to change……
This was a GREAT evening, though it didn’t start too promisingly. There was a horrible buzz on the PA and it was decided that the stage lights were the cause…. Felt began playing in almost total darkness and the singer, Lawrence, stormed off stage abandoning the set during the fourth number. It continued this way for the Go Betweens with only basic lighting and little or no holdback found for the band on stage but they rose to the occasion.
From an audience perspective, the sound was absolutely fine by the time the Smiths came on. The crowd was much bigger than the first time I’d seen them and the crowd knew some of the songs from the recent Peel session. This time the stage was carpeted in flowers, whereas before Morrisey had just thrashed a single bunch around. This gig was the first time the band played ‘This Charming Man’ live and it sounds much more like the version recorded for their second Peel session rather than the single and later live performances. This was one of the last small gigs before ‘that’ single was released and they became massive. I saw the Smiths a fair few times after this and taped them once more later in the year, but by then the crowds were too big and noisy to make taping the band worthwhile or enjoyable.
Enjoy,
Josef
[Profile] [PM]

crazycol

Longevity: 7 years 9 months

Post 16-Oct-2017 13:57 (after 1 day 17 hours)

[Quote]

Many thanks for sharing matahari much appreciated.
Will seed for a long time to help it get seeded.
[Profile] [PM]

crazycol

Longevity: 7 years 9 months

Post 18-Oct-2017 11:06 (after 1 day 21 hour)

[Quote]

This is an excellent remaster & much appreciated.
In Josef's notes he says:
"on the bill were Felt and the Go-Betweens. All for £2.50!
I put my master recordings of their two performances up on Dime a few weeks ago"
Is there any way you could get these please?
I think many other people would like them also.
A long shot but I thought I would ask.
Best wishes,
Colin
[Profile] [PM]

Tito Marr

Longevity: 3 years 1 month

Post 21-Oct-2017 11:16 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

Thanks for sharing
Tito
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts: