The Smiths Paris El Dorado official DVD release

Reply to topic

savbomb ®

Longevity: 5 years 1 month

Post 17-Sep-2016 12:23

[Quote]

There was a planned 3 DVD boxset of the "best of" the 1980s French music TV show Les Enfants du Rock, which the Smiths appeared on at least twice. Once was in 1984, performing 3 songs at the El Dorado theatre in Paris, plus an interview. The second was in 1986 or 1987, when there was an interview with Morrissey intercut with some pro-shot footage from the final gig at Brixton Academy, which I don't think has been seen anywhere else.
A three DVD boxset of the best of the show was scheduled for release in France in 1983 (ETA 2013), but was cancelled at the last moment. I haven't been able to find information anywhere about what the full contents would have been. However, the first DVD was split into three sections of just under an hour each, one of which was titled "1984 L'année The Smiths" (1984, year of the Smiths), so it seems likely that there would have been some Smiths content, but who knows how much.
It seems like a small number of copies of the boxset did slip out even though there was no official release. I found one on eBay, which sold in April.
I find that price a bit steep without knowing exactly what is on the discs. But I thought I'd leave a message here so that anyone with the time, money and inclination (plus, of course, the willingness to share) can keep they're eyes open in case another one appears.
If it helps, the boxset also features David Bowie, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Prince, U2 and James Brown, among others. And Johnny Hallyday, bien sûr.
To aid your hunting, the title of the boxset is just "Les Enfants du Rock" and the French for boxset is "coffret". It was set to be relased by INA Editions.

Last edited by savbomb on 2016-09-18 12:50; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 18-Sep-2016 10:56 (after 22 hours)

[Quote]

I never knew about that. Thanks for the info. I'm going to set up an eBay alert.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Longevity: 5 years 1 month

Post 18-Sep-2016 13:07 (after 2 hours 10 minutes)

[Quote]

I've set one up too. I found another copy that sold in July for 40 euros!
A bit more info:
It appears to be a boxset of an eight-part clips series that was broadcast in France in 1992, each episode covering one year.
The 1985 episode is titled "1985 l'année Cure", and I've been able to find videos online of both the 1992 and 1985 versions of the Cure segment included, which run to 8 minutes and 26 minutes respectively - so quite a lot of cutting.
The Smiths feature from 1984 is only 16 minutes to begin with (unless there is additional material that was broadcast but isn't in circulation), so my guess would be that the DVD will feature a substantial part of it, but getting the whole thing would be a bit of a pleasant surprise. Hopefully they cut out a song (losing Barbarism should bring down the runtime a fair bit) rather than interspersing the interview with bits of the songs.
[Profile] [PM]

soundasleep

Longevity: 10 years

Post 23-Oct-2016 19:41 (after 1 month 5 days)

[Quote]

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Les-Enfants-Du-Rock/release/5258688
Some for sale on Discogs (expensive though).
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 28-Jul 10:50